Lt. Commander
# 1 Where's the Ship's Computer?
11-13-2010, 11:51 PM
Canon? The Trek Experience? The Ship Computer is as much a part of this as the Federation and Klingons.

Now preferably, we'd have a Majel Roddenberry voice synthesizer. Any voice synthesized response. Text and graphics. Or just text.

I think it'd be great as an aesthetic addition, but I want the functionality.

For example; I'm currently trying to find out where I can acquire Industrial Replicators. I've visited a couple of brokers who didn't have them and wouldn't tell me where I could find them. In any Star Trek imagining I'd simply ask and the Computer would answer. The Federation database was always portrayed as extensive.

Seriously. This game is fun, but it is lacking in accessibility to information for both interface and content.
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-13-2010, 11:58 PM
Don't you replicate industrial replicators from your ship?
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-14-2010, 12:02 AM
Didn Majel Barret-Roddenberry Die December 18'th 2008? *hint*
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-14-2010, 12:05 AM
The ships computer is busy waiting to give you a sense of moral superiority when blasting innocent and oblivious alien scum by stating the starfleet version of southparks "IT"S COMING RIGHT FOR US!".
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-14-2010, 12:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
Didn Majel Barret-Roddenberry Die December 18'th 2008? *hint*
Hence the need for synthesization.
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-14-2010, 12:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxbad
Text and graphics. Or just text.
:picks up mouse:

Hello, computer.
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-14-2010, 11:58 AM
Perhaps it could operate as a function of the ship interior?

Just to be clear. I'm not as interested in the method as I am the information.
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-14-2010, 08:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormoran View Post
The ships computer is busy waiting to give you a sense of moral superiority when blasting innocent and oblivious alien scum by stating the starfleet version of southparks "IT"S COMING RIGHT FOR US!".
lol !!! (I had to add the exclamation marks to make the message long enough to post)
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-14-2010, 08:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxbad
Canon? The Trek Experience? The Ship Computer is as much a part of this as the Federation and Klingons.

Now preferably, we'd have a Majel Roddenberry voice synthesizer. Any voice synthesized response. Text and graphics. Or just text.
1) I hear Majel's voice all the time, she's constantly letting me know when the enemy's shields have dropped and recommends that I fire Photon Torpedoes. All you have to do is to enable that in the options.

2) You can use your ship's replicator to create all types of commodities.

3) There is a Library Data Computer in game. You access it by clicking on the little computer icon next to your mini-map.

4) If that Data Bank isn't sufficient you could always use this one, or you could use the official forums. It's too bad that you can't find the official STO forums so that you can ask some of those guys your questions. I bet they actually know the answers too.

This game isn't lacking any accessibility to information. You need to learn where to go to ask the questions.
Lt. Commander
# 10
11-15-2010, 12:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine_Falcon View Post
1) I hear Majel's voice all the time, she's constantly letting me know when the enemy's shields have dropped and recommends that I fire Photon Torpedoes. All you have to do is to enable that in the options.
Yeah. Noticed that. Wouldn't it be nice to see the voice response expanded?

Quote:
2) You can use your ship's replicator to create all types of commodities.
I didn't know that. I thought it would just retrieve only what had been recycled. I didn't scroll past the food to see the commodities.

Quote:
3) There is a Library Data Computer in game. You access it by clicking on the little computer icon next to your mini-map.
Actually, it's the question mark under the computer icon, Just above the menu selection "Report A Bug". Not really the kind of aesthetics that keeps one immersed in the game environment.

That's an aside to the fact that the extent of its content is frankly, pitiful.

Quote:
4) If that Data Bank isn't sufficient you could always use this one, or you could use the official forums. It's too bad that you can't find the official STO forums so that you can ask some of those guys your questions. I bet they actually know the answers too.
I've done so. Perused both wiki and the impressive collections in the Academy section of this board. Most information is readily available, after leaving the game to search for it.

Quote:
This game isn't lacking any accessibility to information. You need to learn where to go to ask the questions.
That's kinda what I did. I've done it a couple of times here. This is the first time I've interpreted any "attitude" in the responses. Sorry if, I offended you.

Then again, I just may be too old. I remember when companies tried to accommodate customer requests and didn't chastise them for not being willing to put forth more effort.