Lt. Commander
# 1 Crashing a lot
11-14-2010, 01:06 PM
The game seems to be crashing a lot for me. It's usually multiple times per gaming session and has been happening pretty much since the early days of the release. More often than not, it is an error decompressing data, but not always. I researched the problem and saw some people say to delete the offending .hogg file and force it to re-download. I've done this many times, even with all of the .hogg files. It may fix the problem for that day, but the problem always comes back. I always make sure to submit the crash reports to Cryptic.

Are there any other options that I can try? Heck, if it's even a hardware issue I'd be willing to replace the parts if it fixes the problem.

Thanks
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-14-2010, 02:15 PM
Recurring file corruption can be caused by

Failing memory
bad spot on the disk drive or failing hard drive
some antivirus that insert own checksum in files downlaoded can corrupted large patch files
weak or failing power supply (this can cause failing in both memory and hard drives)
weak wireless connections (cause problems on patches)

also if you are using win7 or vista installing the game in the program files directory can cause problems.
Quote:
Quote from coderanger....

Fun fact, the game will break pretty frequently if you install to Program Files under Vista or Win7 because of a new security feature called Virtual Store (short version: it intercepts and rewrites file writes inside prog files to go somewhere else). That is why it is no longer the default install location on those platforms. There is no permanent way to disable this feature of Windows, so installing outside of Program Files is the best option. The "correct" place according to MS for this would be C:\ProgramData, but more games use Users\Public\Games that we wanted to go with the clearer one. The More You Know.
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-14-2010, 02:48 PM
Interesting... I've been questioning the status of my RAM lately, based on some occasional BSODs (unrelated to STO). Looking at your very first option, I'll bet this is my problem

Fingers are crossed for a good RAM sale somewhere on Black Friday...
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-15-2010, 04:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass_Star
Interesting... I've been questioning the status of my RAM lately, based on some occasional BSODs (unrelated to STO). Looking at your very first option, I'll bet this is my problem
Run memtest then, and prove it
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-15-2010, 08:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miiru
Run memtest then, and prove it
Thanks for the advice. I tried memtest on your recommendation but it doesn't work since I'm running 64-bit. Any recommendations for something 64-bit-friendly?

I did try Microsoft's Memory Diagnostic tool and it returned some errors, but I don't know which of the 4 memory sticks caused the problem. I guess the next step is to pull them out and run it with one stick at a time to narrow it down.

For what it's worth, I'm running with 4x 1GB RAM and a 1GB video card. If I need to replace any, I'm hoping to at least be able to upgrade at the same time.
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-16-2010, 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass_Star
Thanks for the advice. I tried memtest on your recommendation but it doesn't work since I'm running 64-bit. Any recommendations for something 64-bit-friendly?
memtest should be fine on all those CPUs. Use the version that you boot off a USB stick from here: http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

Running it as an application under windows doesn't work very well; booting it is the most reliable way. Be aware that it takes a few hours to run, but it should shake out any actual bad memory.

(If it reports random glitches that don't repeat at the same address, you have diagnosed a CPU, motherboard, or power issue; memory failure will look like regular errors at the same address or range of addresses)

Quote:
I did try Microsoft's Memory Diagnostic tool and it returned some errors, but I don't know which of the 4 memory sticks caused the problem. I guess the next step is to pull them out and run it with one stick at a time to narrow it down.
But if that's finding a problem then you can go with it, rather than spending time setting up something else. And yes, that's what to do next.

(If it turns out not to be specific to one stick, then again you've got a CPU/motherboard/power issue that's confounding the test result and is your real problem)
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-17-2010, 12:06 PM
I have had the same problem for 10 months now. On 3 different systems in 2 different locations. I use HyperX ram (4gb DDR2 1066) in this system. Others had Patriot(3 gb) and Kingston (2gb) ram. ALL the ram passed with no problems. I have a quad core AMD at 2.8ghz w/6mb cache ram. (Zalman cooler) I also have 16gb of readyboost ram. This system has 3 SATA drives in raid 0 config. This system has a 750W Thermaltake PSU. This has a ATI 5850. The other had dual 8800GT's in SLI mode. None of my systems use or have used wireless. I have a 6mb DSL connection thru AT&T U-Verse. I have the newest video, sound, system, etc drivers. I keep the system defragged. I play 21 different games, 11 of them online. One is a alpha/beta online game I'm doing. This is the ONLY game that crashes constantly. As in 10-15 times a day. Yes I've tried the hogg file trick. I've been in computers since 71 and have built over 5000 systems so I'm not retarded. I love the game and to say its annoying for it to crash so many times a day is a understatement. Much like saying being on fire is hot. I've been online gaming since 94, so I'm not new to the genre. I've seen games crash like this in BETA because code is being tweaked. Never seen a game crash this much after release. (Ok WoW did crash a few times a day for 2 months after release, but that was many years ago.) I've seen a very large number of post on sites worldwide about this problem so I'm not alone or even in a small percentage of the population. I'm curious as to why the coding hasn't been fixed yet. Very odd to say the least. I know I for one sure would appreciate it. And yes I've reported this hundreds of times. The game still crashes, sigh. One thing i can tell you for a absolute fact, the problem is NOT with my machine or any of it's components. I'm still paid till Feb 2011 so I hope it's fixed by then or i won't be renewing.
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-19-2010, 07:12 AM
Ok, so I ran memtest from the USB. I started first without the RAM stick that I thought was going bad, And all was fine. And next I ran it with all 4 sticks in and got no errors. Now I'm really confused. When I ran the Microsoft Memory Diagnostic, I would get errors that seemed to have been in consistent locations. I could narrow it down to a pair of matching sticks. Individually, neither stick threw back any errors. But together, or when included with the other two sticks, I'd get errors. And now memtest says nothing is wrong at all.

Now here's the kicker. Last night, I was using the computer like normal. All was fine. I wanted to run a memtest over night. I shut down, popped in the (assumed) bad RAM stick with the other three that were already in there. When I rebooted, one of my hard drives was making a clicking sound. I immediately powered down and identified the drive. Thankfully, it's the one that housed my old XP installation, so it's expendable if necessary. I unplugged that drive and rebooted again. The BIOS then gave me a message stating "Error Loading OS". Windows 7 is installed on its own drive that was still connected.

The PC was working fine with 3 RAM sticks last night. Then all I did was put the fourth one back in and suddenly there are problems with two different hard drives? The timing seems WAY too coincidental but I don't see how they can be related. Is my Win7 drive somehow dependent on the WinXP drive? I tried disconnecting all of my other drives and booting with only the Win7 drive and I noticed it gets identified as a slave. Neither of those drives has the little master/slave jumper installed, so I assume it hasn't been an issue before.

I'm kind of freaking out right now. LOL
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-19-2010, 07:33 AM
base on the random and progressing problem I would look closer ar the power supply and possibly a crack or worn out componat on the motherboard.
Lt. Commander
# 10
11-19-2010, 08:39 AM
ok, thanks. I'm really hoping it's the power supply and not the mother board. Heck, right now I'd prefer it to be the power supply over the RAM, too. I'm looking for the cheapest possible solution right now.

So, here are a few thoughts... I recently (2-3 weeks ago) added a couple hard drives. I guess it could be possible that I'm overloading the power supply and that would explain why the crashing issues have been even worse lately. But I've had these issues for many months. My current supply is 450W. Ive got a Gigabyte Technology GA-M55PLUS-S3G motherboard with a AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ CPU, 4GB RAM, 1 GB video card, 5 internal hard drives, CD-RW drive, and DVD-RW drive. If the 450W PS isn't powerful enough, any recommendations for what I do need?

EDIT: Aha! I found a Power Supply calculator on Newegg. Turns out before I added those new hard drives, I was right around the max end of my current power supply (~438W) and when I add the two new ones, it's definitely being overloaded. Looks like I need at least 516W, but I'll probably even try bigger and badder so it is futureproof and I can freely upgrade everything over time without concern for the PS.

All that said, I did manage to get the system booted up like normal now. I got the XP drive to run without making that sound. Is my Win7 drive somehow dependent on the WinXP drive? I'm thinking maybe back to when I upgraded. I was adding a new hard drive and upgrading to Win7 at the same time, so Win7 ended up on one drive and the old XP stayed on its drive. Since Win7 was an upgrade, do I ALWAYS need to have that XP drive attached? And in that case, am I screwed if the XP drive decides to die? It's definitely my oldest drive right now and has enjoyed many years of use.