Lt. Commander
Anyone else notice that during the Night of the Comet mission, there was a cowering Klingon offer in the same room next to Cassidy? Surely that would not be the case in the 23rd century!? Klingons were never afraid and certainly this was not a good placement of a NPC character in the game. Come on Cryptic, Star Trek canon is there for a reason!!
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-15-2010, 03:01 AM
if your neural patterns would be scrambled like his you also would cower... in pain!
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-15-2010, 03:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by razoreye2005 View Post
Anyone else notice that during the Night of the Comet mission, there was a cowering Klingon offer in the same room next to Cassidy? Surely that would not be the case in the 23rd century!? Klingons were never afraid and certainly this was not a good placement of a NPC character in the game. Come on Cryptic, Star Trek canon is there for a reason!!
After the Klingons were infected by the Augment virus, they mutated to lose their ridges and feel fear like humans. That's Star Trek: Enterprise, and it's Canon.
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-15-2010, 03:34 AM
Seems a little specist to think that all Klingons act with the exact same belligerance and courage to any given situation, especially when we saw multiple examples of Klingons who didn't live up to that ideal throughout the shows.
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-15-2010, 06:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormoran View Post
Seems a little specist to think that all Klingons act with the exact same belligerance and courage to any given situation, especially when we saw multiple examples of Klingons who didn't live up to that ideal throughout the shows.
*claps*

I thought I was the only one who thought such things.

We are talking about Klingons who live on the wrong side of the norm. Klingons that hold no value to the Klingon Code of Conduct.

Could it be possible they exist in 2409? Yep! Most certainly. With or without the augmentation problem they went through during TOS.

Every Society has them, regardless of which of them makes it for 15 minutes of fame on the big screen, there are more of them that aren't depicted by hard or soft canon.

We all have heard the story of Duras and his father who gave the Romulans the codes to destroy the Klingon Khitomer outpost. Treachery, deceipt, and lies were Ja'rod (Father of Duras) most notable un-honorable traits. His son Duras and sister's Lursa and Be'tor were all involved in treachery and deceipt as depicted in TNG.

Bad examples of Klingons should be more depicted to get to know the species as a whole as seen with the Romulan's subserviant class called the Remans. Throughout all f Star Trek, they were not mentioned until the final Star Trek Movie Episode (Prior to Star Trek Redux) "Nemesis".

The Romulans had a whole other "outcast' group, why can't the Klingons? We just don't know about them, but they're there.

Good call Cormoran.
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-15-2010, 07:16 AM
Hello,

DS9 featured a GREAT Klingon episode where the PTSD General Martok was featured in virtual raving hysterics because he was afraid of confronting the Dominion again after his torture in a Dominion prison camp.

Yes, Virginia, Klingons can feel fear.
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-15-2010, 07:25 AM
If it bugs you, remember that TOS Klingons were infected with human DNA via the augment virus, and were especially emotionally unstable.

I believe I've seen this also used to explain why they were doing things like using surgically disguised spies and maybe even why they were so chummy with the Romulans. They were not quite themselves.
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-15-2010, 07:31 AM
Klinogns can feel fear, most of them just proper handle it or response with aggression.
There is no any ST show that I remember to show that Klinogns are without emotions.
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-15-2010, 07:35 AM
Or the self realization that an away team full of women just beat his ass. As my captain was fighting off Devidians so I know it wasn't me that took him out...
Lt. Commander
# 10
11-15-2010, 07:49 AM
Heck, is there a Star Trek show that shows that Klingons don't take prisoners or would kill themselves rather than being taken prisoner?

Klingons say that stuff all the time but they always do the opposite in practice.

The closest I can think of to a Klingon actually acting like what Klingons claim to act like is when Worf kills Gowron. Every other example is usually a trick, a liar, a traitor, a shapeshifter, or someone who's nuts.

I don't think there's ever been a Klingon who acted like what Klingons claim they act like. Which might be interesting commentary if we turn the mirror back on ourselves with that but the point remains that there's no evidence that any Klingon actually lives true to most of the purported Klingon values and it only becomes a problem when you have a game like this where people play as Klingons (or Klingon LARPers) who assume that Klingon values are actually consistent with what Klingons claim their values are, because you're looking for a source for how to behave.

From a writer's perspective, I think it's easier to say that they're all hypocrites and braggarts and that none of their code really applies in action. Worf and Martok internalize the "good" aspects but most Klingons don't make good on any aspect of Klingon values and even Worf and Martok mainly fall short.

It's kinda like... Who doesn't eat shellfish? Who sends menstrating women off to the wilderness for seven days? Who treats anyone who doesn't take a vow of poverty as a moral deviant? Who stones sinners to death?

And yet people do consider themselves Jews, Christians, and Muslims. There are very few violent fundamentalists. There are fewer still who are consistent and not using that violence to shield some other kind of issue like class envy. And if you met someone who WAS committed enough to kill and die for every point set forth in their belief system (and not for anything else), they'd not only be one in a million, they'd be a jerk and a social pariah.

Klingon values are not how Klingons live.