Lt. Commander
# 11
11-16-2010, 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryulis View Post
I cant believe I never thought of this before, and Im suprised no one else seems to have mentioned it but basically how far, allegorically, can we go with reguards to our stories?

For example, I have a couple of new ideas. One about the Vulcans and a group Ive named the "Far Eastern Movement" who have forgone Kolinahr and retained emotion. They are not Romulans or aggressive but the Vulcans see them as a threat and their Religion is wrong.

Secondly, I have a Character who is about to be named a King on his home planet. As a diplomatic mission you are to oversee the handover and learn the Young Prince must choose a queen before he can be named a King... the only problem here however is that he is a gay character and he wishes to marr his lover but it is against the Planets beliefs and rules.

Would we be able to produce allegory tales of this nature or must we, like TNG and each successive series afterward, just drop it so we dont offend the family audience of Star Trek and this game as a whole
I think stuff like this is cool as long as the following criteria can be met: 1 that player isn't forced to act in a way that is offensive to them and 2 that the situation is not spun to push an agenda.

For instance you might have the option of "shutting down" the so called religious group, but if that's the *only* option you provide then it comes across as anti religious which is untreklike. The question is, can you present the issue without adding your own bias into the storytelling.

In other words, it's a good thing to present moral dilemma's to the player, but it's not a good thing to promote one viewpoint over another. This was one of the things I've always liked about Trek, they often brought up relevant social issues but they didn't say that one side was right vs the other. It is a fine line between awareness and judgment. I will be interested to see how well the player base can walk it.

~D
Lt. Commander
# 12
11-16-2010, 07:15 PM
The rules regarding Mission Authoring will be very similar to those that already govern the forums, in-game behavior, etc.

They're clearly posted in our TOS for the game, and on our Forum Rules and Guidelines.

More specific details will be found in the TOS that you'll agree to upon entering The Foundry for Star Trek Online Beta Mission Authoring Tools.

Thanks,

Stormshade
Lt. Commander
# 13
11-16-2010, 09:08 PM
Well... To some you need to be careful. I dont know how the UGC missions are displayed but if there is a description just give a paraphrase of it. What you said is ok. Or you can polish it a bit.

I believe, in general, people arent going to care that much about that. This is Star Trek. Tons of cultures out there. Some with no sex. Some with not social hang ups. Etc.
Lt. Commander
# 14
11-17-2010, 01:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashter
I think stuff like this is cool as long as the following criteria can be met: 1 that player isn't forced to act in a way that is offensive to them and 2 that the situation is not spun to push an agenda.

For instance you might have the option of "shutting down" the so called religious group, but if that's the *only* option you provide then it comes across as anti religious which is untreklike. The question is, can you present the issue without adding your own bias into the storytelling.

In other words, it's a good thing to present moral dilemma's to the player, but it's not a good thing to promote one viewpoint over another. This was one of the things I've always liked about Trek, they often brought up relevant social issues but they didn't say that one side was right vs the other. It is a fine line between awareness and judgment. I will be interested to see how well the player base can walk it.

~D
Your Captain wouldn't stop the Religious Movement on Vulcan. You would be fighting for anyone to have the right to believe any religion they want

And thanks everyone for input. Obviously, as I and a few others have said to me I will only do missions like this IF I can do it tastefully, subtly and not offensive or too risqué

I look forward to the many wonders of UGC soon, first off for me however with regards to a story is my arc on the number 47 if all goes well with those then I will explore the Diplomatic possibilities and the scenarios I initially posted.

Thanks again,
Lt. Commander
# 15
11-17-2010, 02:56 AM
Quote:

~D
Sometimes one viewpoint is right though and that's seen plenty of times in Trek. In fact, drama generally means there's a conflict needing resolution. Sometimes two conflicting world views are mutually exclusive and one or none of them is correct.

How many false god plots/challenges to authority were there in the Original Series? Aside from even ST:V, there are several examples of them finding a religious group and essentially saying "that's wrong."
Lt. Commander
# 16
11-17-2010, 08:19 AM
But who are you, a Federation Captain to say whether not only a different ethnicity but an entirely different species religion is wrong?

Quote:
Your Captain wouldn't stop the Religious Movement on Vulcan. You would be fighting for anyone to have the right to believe any religion they want.
This may not always be true, the Prime Directive prohibits you from interfering in other cultures, thus you would not be fighting for anyones rights at all but allowing the natural course of a species evolution to happen. I like a particular thought that Mass Effect 2 brings up. It is foolish to assume your own morality applies to another race or species. What is right for one is not right for another. interfering in what you think is "right" could be a grave error.

Yes, sometimes one viewpoint appears right, but right is entirely subjective. You as a captain must have your own moral code as to what you will or will not do, but that doesn't give you the privilege to make that choice for others.

~D
Lt. Commander
# 17
11-17-2010, 01:05 PM
Quote:
I like a particular thought that Mass Effect 2 brings up. It is foolish to assume your own morality applies to another race or species. What is right for one is not right for another. interfering in what you think is "right" could be a grave error.
What part of ME2 are you talking about? The bit with Legion and the Geth?
Lt. Commander
# 18
11-18-2010, 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillaGrod
What part of ME2 are you talking about? The bit with Legion and the Geth?
Legion's Loyalty mission involving your companions questioning the morality of rewriting the Heretic's code. I believe one of the responses you can make is a renegade option stating that our (organic) morality cannot be forced onto an inorganic race as we are completely different. It was a profound train of thought they added to the game and it got them kudo's from me. Too many people act like what is right and wrong in our culture must be right and wrong in any other culture we come in contact with.

~D
Lt. Commander
# 19
11-18-2010, 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormShade
They're clearly posted in our TOS for the game...More specific details will be found in the TOS that...
StormShade, I'm so used to TOS as The Original Series on this website I had to re-read your post.

On to the actual subject of my post.
I've always enjoyed the allegorical nature of Star Trek and certainly look forward to these types of missions in the foundry. The one request I have is for everyone to try not to spell out what you are trying to say, just allude to it. When Picard directly linked the forcible relocation of a group of people in Insurrection to what the US did to the American Indians, it's like explaining a punchline for a joke (I am not comparing the treatment of Native Americans to a joke) which makes the joke less humorous. Like it was mentioned before in this thread, subtly is important and makes your story much more compelling.
Lt. Commander
# 20
11-18-2010, 06:21 PM
OP, you need to remember Star Trek has often been used as a guise express his views about current affairs. Vietnam, racial tensions, economy, Cold War fears, war. Everything was there. TNG even had alien abduction. I say as long as you are tasteful and discreet you'll be fine. Don't make it in your face and pushy but subtle and natural.