Lt. Commander
In my humble opinion, the weekly Featured Episodes have been the making of Star Trek Online. As such, I have a suggestion for a mission along the same lines, but significantly different.

We have weeklies, which are great. How about an annual mission? In the shows there were mentions of four and five year missions. Obviously this would be too much in game, so call it a Four Year Mission that takes place over four weeks. There's only one per year so you can accept it at any time between January 1st and November 30th.

When you accept this mission, your Transwarp Drive is turned off, any powers that call in extra ships (I can't remember the name of it at the minute, but not photonic fleet, as those are generated by your own vessel) are also turned off. You head out to the farthest edge of the Galaxy Map where Cryptic have created a new zone. After a montage of sorts that conveys the passage of time, your in an unexplored region of space on your Four Year mission. You're the first Starfleet vessel to venture this far into this part of the galaxy. There are no starbases and there is no backup. You can't just pop back to ESD when you want, all other missions except PvP are locked out until you finish your Four Year Mission. You are one little ship alone in the vastness of space.

Over the course of your four weeks, there are a mixture of First Contact missions, skirmishes with local hostile races, aid missions, diplomatic and problem solving adventures. But most of all, there are new exploration missions.

Exploration Missions: You're flying through this amazing uncharted space and your BO picks up strange, but interesting readings. You head to the system they come from and you start a series of scanning mini-games that lead you to an undiscovered space borne species, or an amazingly constructed nebula. Maybe even the remains of a long dead civilisation (queue archaeological mini-games).

Once your assignment - or Four Year Mission - is complete, you head back to "known space" where all your powers and Transwarp Drive kick in again and you can go about your regular STO business.

I realise some people may not like the solo aspect of this, but keep in mind, in the shows and books etc it is often one ship by its lonesome on these types of mission. These missions would also need to have a worthy reward system to justify taking a mission over the course of four weeks.

I just feel a mission such as this would be very much in the spirit of Trek. There's more to it in my head, but it would be one very long post, so this is just the flavour of it!
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-15-2010, 01:49 PM
Yes. Yes yes yes! Why has cryptic not thought of this before??? Sir (Or Ma'am), you are a genius! I will definitely sign for this.
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-15-2010, 01:52 PM
The series was the mission. Star Trek TOS was supposed to be a five season show, ergo "It's five year mission: to explore strange new worlds." Roddenberry felt that he jinxed the show, so when TNG came about, he penned, "It's continuing mission..."

So, STO is, in fact, your four year mission. Hopefully.
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-15-2010, 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SP3CTREnyc
The series was the mission. Star Trek TOS was supposed to be a five season show, ergo "It's five year mission: to explore strange new worlds." Roddenberry felt that he jinxed the show, so when TNG came about, he penned, "It's continuing mission..."

So, STO is, in fact, your four year mission. Hopefully.
It's not really a Four Year Mission in the strictest sense. It all takes place in known space. There's no real discovery as there is in Trek. There's no sense that you are expanding the Federation's knowledge.
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-15-2010, 02:15 PM
I like this idea, has potential!

/signed!
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-15-2010, 02:55 PM
This is a pretty cool idea... I'm not sure it should last quite that long - I know I wouldn't want to deal without being able to go back to ESD for that long. Realistic, more like canon, sure. Fun and not annoying? ...maybe not.

Maybe create a sector like that, where there are increasing bonuses for staying in it for longer periods of time. That way, people could get the "real" Star Trek experience for as long as they wanted, without being forced away from anything.

Although the series involving ships on their own did involve several episodes of docking at Starfleet bases (not Voyager, of course).
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-15-2010, 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felderburg View Post
This is a pretty cool idea... I'm not sure it should last quite that long - I know I wouldn't want to deal without being able to go back to ESD for that long. Realistic, more like canon, sure. Fun and not annoying? ...maybe not.

Maybe create a sector like that, where there are increasing bonuses for staying in it for longer periods of time. That way, people could get the "real" Star Trek experience for as long as they wanted, without being forced away from anything.

Although the series involving ships on their own did involve several episodes of docking at Starfleet bases (not Voyager, of course).
I admit it's more of a mission type geared towards the "core" players who are in the game for the long haul and who are willing to follow a longer story. It would not be obligatory by any means.

The reason I mention not having the ability to go to Starbases, is that it would give the sense that you are a true explorer. You've gone so far out of you're territory that you're all alone until you complete your round trip of exploration. Early colonists, adventurers and explorers, be it real life ones or Trek ones, couldn't just pop back to home-base for some supplies. They had to go it alone until they returned from their voyage or trade routes could be set up etc.

Whether something like this is considered an annoyance or a serious immersion factor is purely down to the individual, much like all the other missions in the game (or anything in life for that matter). Maybe as a compromise, the extent to which you're cut off from the rest of the game could be based on the difficulty level you chose to play on.

You may also be able to visit bases belonging to the new races you discover. Although, being the new humanoid in town, they're going to fleece you for all the Energy Credits you're worth! Maybe the Ferengi passed through long ago, were lynched for their greed but it rubbed off on the locals!