# 21
11-15-2010, 03:12 PM
Voyager created temporal shields.
Lt. Commander
# 22
11-15-2010, 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipenguin
But if we destroyed the comet in the past, how can there be a comet in the 25th century to cause us problems in the first place?
I'd think that Schrodinger's Caitian would come into play here.
Lt. Commander
# 23
11-15-2010, 04:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by taallyn View Post
Drake exists outside of time in his own, little universe.
That post has made my day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavilier210 View Post
Voyager created temporal shields.
Ah, but that was an alternate version of Voyager that was erased from history after it rammed the Krenim time-erasing ship, which ended up erasing itself from existence, so there!

Let's be honest, the Devidian series got itself into a bit of a mess with the time travelling in the finale, which puts it in fine company with rest of Trek. My two major complaints:

- If you accidentally destroyed B'Vat's ship, the game should have paused with the words "B'VAT IS DEAD" appearing over the screen while Leonard Nimoy shouted "Captain, you can't do that! The future will be changed! You'll create a time paradox!"

- When you got back to the present, Drake should have had a big mustache. Or spontaneously become a woman. One of the two.
Lt. Commander
# 24
11-15-2010, 04:40 PM
"Time is simply Nature's way of keeping everything from happening at once."
Lt. Commander
# 25
11-15-2010, 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by malashenko89 View Post
Ah, but that was an alternate version of Voyager that was erased from history after it rammed the Krenim time-erasing ship, which ended up erasing itself from existence, so there!

Let's be honest, the Devidian series got itself into a bit of a mess with the time travelling in the finale, which puts it in fine company with rest of Trek. My two major complaints:

- If you accidentally destroyed B'Vat's ship, the game should have paused with the words "B'VAT IS DEAD" appearing over the screen while Leonard Nimoy shouted "Captain, you can't do that! The future will be changed! You'll create a time paradox!"

- When you got back to the present, Drake should have had a big mustache. Or spontaneously become a woman. One of the two.
Your first part makes my head hurt. the "Year of Hell" was a great 2 parter IMO, but all the stuff made it hard to maintain a linear track of.

your second half would be funny, lol.
Lt. Commander
# 26
11-15-2010, 04:58 PM
The Doctor (the Time Lord one, not the hologram one) explains it best:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY_Ry8J_jdw
Lt. Commander
# 27
11-15-2010, 05:09 PM
When I come into contact with temporal paradoxes, I tend to think of the butterfly effect. The fact that nothing really changed in the series does bother me, but I'm certain that something along the line of "time sorts itself out in the end" is the best explanation that doesn't include my head imploding trying to come up with a scientific explanation.
Lt. Commander
# 28
11-15-2010, 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob
Does that technically mean the first Devidian Series episode didn't take place?
Yes, which is why I hate time travel in fiction. I have yet to see ANY story involving time travel into the past that wasn't hillariously devoid of any kind of logic. Writers should keep their pens off that idea, really.

There is NO way whatsoever to keep time travelling and logic and reason under the same roof, except your story doesn't alter anything there at all. Which rarely makes sense.