Lt. Commander
# 11
11-20-2010, 12:40 PM
While we're at this, I would like to have instrumentation that shows not only ecliptic incline (as the OP requests) but also a numerical value for my map-relative velocity and my current turn rate. A "type 3" detailed version of the speed slider, essentially.
Lt. Commander
# 12
11-25-2010, 04:13 PM
I'm ALL for an accelerometer or some other form of velocity metering. The inclinometer isn't a bad idea, but is of limited real use, especially outside of PvP combat.
Lt. Commander
# 13
12-02-2010, 11:30 AM
I'm just going to take the opposing position here. I have no problem whatsoever keeping track of my ship's inclination. Now I know I'm very adept with handling 3D positioning and vectors, so I may not be part of the mainstream, and maybe it would be useful for typical players. But for me, it would just be uneccessary UI clutter. So if this is to be implemented, I would want to make sure there's an option to disable it.
Lt. Commander
# 14
12-08-2010, 06:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizixMan View Post
I'm just going to take the opposing position here. I have no problem whatsoever keeping track of my ship's inclination. Now I know I'm very adept with handling 3D positioning and vectors, so I may not be part of the mainstream, and maybe it would be useful for typical players. But for me, it would just be uneccessary UI clutter. So if this is to be implemented, I would want to make sure there's an option to disable it.
hmm... maybe you are not using mouse to maneuver? Ehen doing that, the cam is static behind the ship, and for areas that don't have a "floor-grid" there simply is no way to tell if you are level except to release a mouse-button and turn the cam to get a sideways view.
Lt. Commander
# 15
12-08-2010, 07:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dassem_Ultor
hmm... maybe you are not using mouse to maneuver? Ehen doing that, the cam is static behind the ship, and for areas that don't have a "floor-grid" there simply is no way to tell if you are level except to release a mouse-button and turn the cam to get a sideways view.
Yeah, I don't use the mouse to manoeuvre in the game. I do remember trying it out ages ago and the camera would lock behind my ship. Does the camera still remain locked even in combat?

I personally doubt I'd have trouble keeping track of my ship's direction of travel (only because I know I have that good sense of spatial awareness) but I can definitely see how without visual markers (terrain/sky, HUD, etc.) how it would be very easily lost for most people. Like I said, I'm all for having a simple UI to pass this information along to the player as long as it can be disabled or at least non-intrusive for those who don't need it.
Lt. Commander
# 16
12-08-2010, 11:22 AM
/signed (10chars)
Lt. Commander
# 17
12-09-2010, 01:21 PM
If it gets added, defiantly needs to be optional. Some people have really good spatial awareness and hate UI clutter. I really want more UI customization. I turn off almost all the HUD elements I can and dont want to be forced to view a Inclinometer.
Lt. Commander
# 18
12-11-2010, 09:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieboysw View Post
If it gets added, defiantly needs to be optional. Some people have really good spatial awareness and hate UI clutter. I really want more UI customization. I turn off almost all the HUD elements I can and dont want to be forced to view a Inclinometer.
i'm not asking for a big gauge or something flashy, just an indicator.... something like... this:

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/2811/inclli.jpg

making use of the "speedometer". The light coloured bar at the center to be a stsionary marker for horizontal, the other bar indicating inclination. This is how it was done in many old flight simulators. It's easy to read and easy to ignore
Lt. Commander
# 19
12-11-2010, 11:26 PM
Eh, the devs can do better than that. (and no, it's not easy to ignore. But I'm pretty critical of UI, but something like that is the lazy way out and I hope if they do something like that, I can turn it off.)