Lt. Commander
# 1 Daily mission reset
11-16-2010, 11:43 AM
Two days ago, I did my daily missions at a fairly unconventional hour for me, which would be about 1 in the morning. Well when I sat down yesterday around 5 pm or so, I realized that my daily missions were still on cooldown and would be until ~8pm. Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to do them because of plans until late last night plus I had to work today, so that means I couldn't do them after I got home.

So I had a thought pass across my mind while being unable to do my missions for the day. I'm a recently retired WoW veteran, and I'm not here to say their method is "OH SO MUCH BETTER" than STO, but it does make me pose a question: How come STO doesn't have a set reset timer (SRT) on their daily missions?

I believe WoW's was set to 12:00am PST across all of their servers. While having a SRT, instead of the variable reset timer (VRT) that STO has, it does have its advantages as well as its disadvantages over the VRT method.

For example, an advantage with the SRT is that it offers more freedom for someone to log in during the day to freshly reset missions and not have to worry about logging in around the same time every day. Where as a disadvantage with the SRT is that you would pretty much HAVE to finish the missions in your Log before 12:00am or else said missions would reset, and if you turned them in from the previous day then you would have to wait until the next reset to do them again (even though they were yesterday's missions).

To counter that, an advantage with the VRT is that it offers more of a leeway if you miss a chance to finish the days missions due to some emergency or poor time management. If you pick up a mission and have to log off for whatever reason, you can still complete it AND turn it in the next day then pick up and do that day's mission (even if you turn it in past the time that you picked it up the previous day). I believe I already stated the major disadvantage at the beginning of this post, so I'll spare you readers the extra useless sentences.

I personally would much rather prefer the SRT method, considering I can't always log in around the same time to do the daily missions. But I would like to hear from other people! So I pose these few questions to my peers and maybe even any developers that read this:

1) Why do you think that STO decided to go with the VRT, instead of SRT?
2) What would the community, especially those in different time zones, like out of the two options?
3) Am I just a rambling man who is just too accustomed to something and needs to open his mind (and schedule) a little more?
4a) Do you think that there a possibility of there ever being a change from the VRT to the SRT system in the future?
4b) Would you welcome it?

For those that just skimmed through, forgot, or plain just said tl;dr: VRT = Variable reset timer (like in STO), SRT = Set reset timer (like in WoW)
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-16-2010, 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max0rs View Post
Two days ago, I did my daily missions at a fairly unconventional hour for me, which would be about 1 in the morning. Well when I sat down yesterday around 5 pm or so, I realized that my daily missions were still on cooldown and would be until ~8pm. Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to do them because of plans until late last night plus I had to work today, so that means I couldn't do them after I got home.

So I had a thought pass across my mind while being unable to do my missions for the day. I'm a recently retired WoW veteran, and I'm not here to say their method is "OH SO MUCH BETTER" than STO, but it does make me pose a question: How come STO doesn't have a set reset timer (SRT) on their daily missions?

I believe WoW's was set to 12:00am PST across all of their servers. While having a SRT, instead of the variable reset timer (VRT) that STO has, it does have its advantages as well as its disadvantages over the VRT method.

For example, an advantage with the SRT is that it offers more freedom for someone to log in during the day to freshly reset missions and not have to worry about logging in around the same time every day. Where as a disadvantage with the SRT is that you would pretty much HAVE to finish the missions in your Log before 12:00am or else said missions would reset, and if you turned them in from the previous day then you would have to wait until the next reset to do them again (even though they were yesterday's missions).

To counter that, an advantage with the VRT is that it offers more of a leeway if you miss a chance to finish the days missions due to some emergency or poor time management. If you pick up a mission and have to log off for whatever reason, you can still complete it AND turn it in the next day then pick up and do that day's mission (even if you turn it in past the time that you picked it up the previous day). I believe I already stated the major disadvantage at the beginning of this post, so I'll spare you readers the extra useless sentences.

I personally would much rather prefer the SRT method, considering I can't always log in around the same time to do the daily missions. But I would like to hear from other people! So I pose these few questions to my peers and maybe even any developers that read this:

1) Why do you think that STO decided to go with the VRT, instead of SRT?
2) What would the community, especially those in different time zones, like out of the two options?
3) Am I just a rambling man who is just too accustomed to something and needs to open his mind (and schedule) a little more?
4a) Do you think that there a possibility of there ever being a change from the VRT to the SRT system in the future?
4b) Would you welcome it?

For those that just skimmed through, forgot, or plain just said tl;dr: VRT = Variable reset timer (like in STO), SRT = Set reset timer (like in WoW)
I know this isnt what you want but heres something you can try. Get all your missions from there mission givers but dont do them. Come back tommorrow 24 hors later, and do them and they will automatically reset to be done again then repeat the process. This way youd always have missions. Isnt a 100% trust worthy but will help.