Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
A lot of new gear has been added to the game with series missions. These include new tribbles, new guns and a variety of new devices.

I have noticed some real changes in ground PVP that have resulted. So as not to bias the replies, I will hold mine for a bit.

How about you? What are your thoughts on the issue?

Bug
Star Fleet Elite Task Force
Ground Pounder 1st Class

Lt. Commander
# 2
11-17-2010, 03:50 AM
Im a total ground noob before I scored no kills and had no clue. - now I get afew kills and they to me seem abit op.
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-17-2010, 05:47 AM
The only thing that seems really different to me is the 'Ghostbuster' rifle, which hits multiple enemies pretty hard.

But I haven't used the cane-thingy or pattern enhancer in PvP.

On the other hand, I've pulled most of my skill points out of ground, so everything I do is weaker now.
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-17-2010, 06:47 AM
....wait....this game has ground PvP?
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-17-2010, 07:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKatrina View Post
....wait....this game has ground PvP?
HA HA.....love it...absolutly love it.....
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-17-2010, 07:22 AM
Proton rifle is overpowered, would prefer to see it as an expose weapon with dps maybe slightly higher dps than the current full auto assault. Let me say though as long as it remains in game I will use it because it is currently the best weapon and I use what works best, and for those that cry to me that I must suck if I use it and I should use a "real" weapon let me just say that your pleas mixed with your tears are falling on deaf ears as before this rifle came out I was doing that and still getting the same result ===> people that don't know what they are doing kissing dirt and crying hax.

In conclusion, CRYPTIC please nerf my rifle!
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-17-2010, 12:50 PM
we better hope the replay feature or (should they add em to cstore) doesn't allow having a second proton rifle.
One of those has already changed groundpvp for the worse imo.

I guess the main reason why the proton gun was added was to please those people that cry about ground pve being to hard - so the even better solution might have been to flag those gun as pve only in some way and make it not work in pvp enabled areas.. im sure they could come up with some proton dampening field story in those areas to make it plausible.

It may however all be part of that ground revamp already.. i remember they wrote something they want players to feel more powerfull... well when it comes to ground pvp i think more powerfull is not a good idea at all, the balance was mostly ok on ground. Considering all those people that really want a ground revamp are mostly pve players or spacers, they should rather do something with the pve content rather then playing around with the weapons which will screw pvp.
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-18-2010, 03:56 AM
I think the Proton rifle is too strong. Don't get me wrong, introducing the new element of pattern enchancer/proton resist modifier along with a proton weapon is cool, but the weapon is very powerful even without trying to take advantage of this.

I enjoy ground PvP but my main character is mainly specced for space PvP so he's not as strong as he could be at it. I recently rolled a KDF character with the intent of going heavy ground. He is my first tactical officer and i have specced him stongly into melee (and therefore assault and pistol weapons too), the proton rifle, totally unsupported by skill points is still the strongest weapon choice for me outright. I still refuse to use it in favor of my Bat'leth and twin pistols, but i am "gimping" myself by doing so.

Very irritating.

Oh and getting wtf murdered by it even when stealthed/round a corner because someone near me got hit by three of them is a pain.

Ace Rimmer: Fed Human Engi VA
Gus'tav: Fed Cardassian Sci Captain
Scream: KDF Lethean Tac LT Comm
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-18-2010, 07:38 AM
My thoughts...

Breen cryo grenades
Cool addition and one I would love to see in groound long enough to guage its overall effect. The 20 shots limit made it an after thought before you really even knew how to best use them. Bring em back (at least until we all comlain and wish you had never listened to the first complaining).

Breen Biothermal Dampener
Strangest device ever added to the game. Utterly useless for anything but griefing people running around ESD. Expected it to come into play as a defense for your team or something at some point. Would be fun if it was an enemy hold AoE attack. Other than that it just confuses me.

Breen Freezy Ray
Was the hot item for a while. The exposes were great. The bolt and power show exposes was kind of fun. But, soon fell out of use as the long hold it puts you ito while charging makes that setting useless in PVP. Woulsd be nice to see this modified to a weapon you can run with. It may come back and spicy things up a bit. Right now I just equip a BO with it and hope for extra exposes in PvE.

Proton gun
Definitely over powered. I have on more than one occassion seem 4 of 5 teammmebers fall to a one shot. This is only possible with the added tac damage buffs. In the hands of an engy of sci, it is not too crazy. But, still a bit OP. Liked the suggeston that it be made an axpose with slightly higher damage than the asault class weapons. Briliant solution. As noted above if mission repay goes in and people are rolling with two of those; turn out the lights in there. Every match will boil down to who can get of the first team killing one shot.

Pattern Enhancers
LOVE the idea of these. Phase shifting is super cool and underused to date. Like that they are linked to the new gun damage (although it clearly needs no aditional help). Mixing items like that gives nice balance. I never use mine though for that reason. If I can be one shotted with the proton, why risk that effect being greatly amplified by your own bunker??? Los that proton damage you make it more useful. But, negate the already discussed love for items balancing each other. Maybe if the proton had the change to assault suggested, it would be worth it to use them again. Did have a funny thing hapen in recently where a team was huddeled in one. I locked ont it and tossed into the air with my telekensis. They freaked as the realized they were instantly back in our world. It was mighty funny.

Ophidan Cane
Cool addition. A bit early to judge its effects overall. Would be nice not to lose that edvice slot (or get MORE OF THEM). It could be handled the same way they have fixed the pets a devices problem. Make it a skill as long as it resides in the inventory. Does increase the value of the Fluidic Spcae tribble as that one offers the Psionic damage buff. That is nice. Currently very easy to break the hold with a quick shield charge. Have not decided if hat is good or bad yet.

New Guns from the Devidian Episode
Have not even euipt them on any VA/LG as they are so weak. The special old school paser is fun bling. But utterly ueless in combat . Sam goes for the Kling variant. But glad they were added. Would have been nice as powered up, current time retrofits of the old gear. A thought for the devs...

Tribbles
Cryo tribble was great as a counter to the holds from cryo grenades. But, with those essentially insta nerfed, they became rather useless IMO. Fluidic space tribble is back with the cane powers coming. To be seen. Triolic tribble does not seem very useful in any way. Correct me if I am wrong.
Lt. Commander
# 10
11-20-2010, 12:35 PM
I'm glad ground PvPers are calling attention to the proton rifle. I don't ground PvP, but the damage output of that thing in the hands of a well built tac is astronomical.