Lt. Commander
# 1 What is the point of a fleet?
11-17-2010, 10:19 AM
Isn't the federation just one fleet? If so why not have all of the federation players placed into 1 "fleet" chat and then people could make branches of "squadron" chat. (this would go for klingons too.)

What do you all think? Community wise, I think it is a great idea. Cannon wise, i would assume it fits the bill. Gimme some feedback.
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-17-2010, 10:58 AM
People are generally put into 1 fleet chat. It's called zone chat. They then subdivide into "squadron" branches called fleet chat. Don't get hung-up on the name fleet. The US Navy is all one fleet but it's subdivided into 2nd fleet, 3rd fleet, 5th fleet, etc.
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-17-2010, 11:23 AM
Fair enough, but zone chat is limited to the zone. Fleet chat would allow everyone to talk to everyone no matter where they are.
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-17-2010, 11:28 AM
I think there is a Global chat channel as well that allows you to do just that. There are more than one fleet in starfleet, remember, DS9 talked about several, including the 7th fleet and the 9th fleet.
http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Fleet
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-17-2010, 11:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahm_bomb View Post
Isn't the federation just one fleet? If so why not have all of the federation players placed into 1 "fleet" chat and then people could make branches of "squadron" chat. (this would go for klingons too.)

What do you all think? Community wise, I think it is a great idea. Cannon wise, i would assume it fits the bill. Gimme some feedback.
The Federation constists of many diffrent fleets. Watch First Contact, or Nemisis, they talk about the 3rd and 5th fleets.
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-17-2010, 11:43 AM
Alright then, maybe a federation channel?

I thought it would have been a nice touch for new players to ask for help, or when a stf team is looking for one more....they could talk to everyone online at the time. I am sure there are other uses for this.

Ah well time to let the thread die
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-17-2010, 11:44 AM
Actually, it was really established in Deep Space Nine that Starfleet had multiple fleets within the whole fleet (example, 7th Fleet). Also, in First Contact, a fleet of ships was dispatched to fight off the Borg. When the fleet leaders vessel was destroyed, Captain Picard signalled that he was taking command of the fleet. I assume that he means the fleet that was assigned to defend against the Borg and not the fleet as a whole. The definition of "fleet" and "squadron" are not so different to warrant change the term and as seen in Star Trek, the only time the word squadron was used was to describe groups within Starfleet Academy while different fleet names were used for larger groupings of starships.

http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Starfleet_Fleets
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-17-2010, 09:04 PM
Don't fool yourself.....Fleets in this game mean nothing.

This is a soloers game...no reason for human interaction in any form....

Log in....do your dailies and log out.....no raids no content that is desirable...no human interaction reaquired.

I suppose there are a few who dance and shake their money makers on Risa or when the internet radio folks are around.........

This game is mostly a forum to debate why Deanna Troi is such a poor helmsman and why Sulu is gay.