Lt. Commander
With the coming of the Foundry in Season 3 I had a thought. Since we'd be making missions and such similar to a holodeck (in fact I believe it was said we might be able to access the Foundry from there, though I could be wrong), I thought it'd be cool if we could get Dwight Schultz to make an appearence as Barclay (or a Barclay hologram) for some kind of tutorial on how to use the system.

I realize it might be a bit late since we're less than a month away, but I thought I'd throw this out there anyway and see what people thought. Plus, what's coming with Season 3 is the "beta", this could be one of the improvements for the "final" version.
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-18-2010, 10:49 PM
That would be so cool to have Barclay as a hologram. I agree with the holodeck room to access the Foundry but i would also love to see it as a sepate program that you could use offline that way i could load it up on my laptop and work on mission at work.
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-18-2010, 11:06 PM
barclay and the holodeck go together like warp cores and nacelles. i think the OP is onto a brilliant idea. I can see Barclay shoot for a little immortality in the form of a hologram. And surely the foundry should have a tutorial that helps us create a little simulated "hello world" mission. Additionally, we should be able to toggle it on and off and have it be (hopefully) intelligent enough to see where we are at and offer some highlights or key points based on our current progress. So if we're working on dialogue and turn on the tutorial, barclay materializes and goes over the basics. If were devloping a star system, barclay hails you and walks you through the highlights. Maybe this something they can get into the foundry over the long term.
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-19-2010, 06:09 AM
I don't know ..... all that stuttering and I'd probably slap my laptop.
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-19-2010, 06:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Startruck
I don't know ..... all that stuttering and I'd probably slap my laptop.
remember when ever barclay was either in a holodeck or in holo form he became much more confident.

i do like the idea.
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-19-2010, 06:13 AM
I think Barclay was one of the most underrated characters in Star Trek. This is a great idea
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-19-2010, 06:17 AM
This as a tutorial idea is actually a quite good one. I don't think the Federation Lawyer Corps can make it happen in time for the initial launching of the Foundry toolset, (unless of course there has been a secret background program by a cabal of nefarious section 31 sponsored Cryptic employees) but I think it would make a nice nod towards the series and add a certain extra....something to the experience.
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-19-2010, 07:05 AM
+1.
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-19-2010, 07:52 AM
Even if you can't hire him for the voice acting, put his NPC in game for this purpose.

Do it Cryptic. Barclay and Foundry, do it do it.
Lt. Commander
# 10
11-19-2010, 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizixMan View Post
Even if you can't hire him for the voice acting, put his NPC in game for this purpose.

Do it Cryptic. Barclay and Foundry, do it do it.
Yeah, I was thinking that too; see if Cryptic could at least get the rights to use his likeness. I originally was thinking about having Lavar Burton (La Forge) or Colm Meany (Chief O'Brien), but I figured Dwight Schultz would probably be easier (and less expensive) to get a hold of. Since Barclay was kind of a secondary, or even tertiary, character like Leeta.