Lt. Commander
# 11
11-19-2010, 11:16 AM
d00d Ezri in the books is a prime example of what's wrong with the books. The books tend to suddenly rank up everyone through the roof and make them super hero characters. There's no holding back. Most of the TNG characters got promoted to Captain. You'd swear that everyone in Starfleet becomes a Captain by the books.

The books are filled with overly ambitious writers with overpowered and suddenly all wise and all knowing characters. Not to mention also overpowered ships and huge over the top plots.

Why can't a main character reach Lieutenant Commander and be happy with it? Maybe they wouldn't make the best captain. Maybe that's as high as they'd go. Most Starfleet people probably don't even get that high in rank.

The "fan fiction" official books tend to want to put everyone in the Captain's chair. They want everyone to have an equal ability and opportunity to save the whole galaxy and they want to place them on holy pedestals.
Lt. Commander
# 12
11-19-2010, 11:19 AM
who exactly are you talking about, cause Ezri is the only person i know that got promoted to captain in the books, besides chakotay, and he was promoted because janeway was made an admiral.

riker and data were made captain, but thats part of movie canon, not book canon...
Lt. Commander
# 13
11-19-2010, 11:28 AM
Geordi (My favorite character but not Captain material yet)

Beverly (She made it too fast, it would be more believable if they waited some time for he to Captain the Olympic-class ship).

Worf would have been had he not done that mission where he failed it to save Jadzia (a lot of good that did) and become Ambassador, he's Commander.

Deanna Troi

Data (this one is probably deserved though )

Ro Laren (Seriously, you betray the Federation then they promote you to CAPTAIN)

They promoted everyone up the butt after TNG ended.
Lt. Commander
# 14
11-19-2010, 11:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhawke View Post
who exactly are you talking about, cause Ezri is the only person i know that got promoted to captain in the books, besides chakotay, and he was promoted because janeway was made an admiral.
Im only vaguely aware of the more popular book seres, haven't read them but have read summaries

Ezri making captain made sense, gradually growing as a character and utilizing the Dax symbote instead of being overwhelmed by it. That actually seemed like a natural progression of the character. I also believe that she wasn't just a captain overnight, something about the captain and/or first officer dying putting her in command of the Aventine.

Chakotay is exactly what I think of when I read USS Parallax's post.

Besides the fact that the character was really awful, in several ways. (seriously a "nondenominational" Indian tribe.. Voyager writers at times..) He was a terrorist, I don't think that starfleet would necessarily throw them all in prison upon there return but being placed in the captains chair...no.

Janeway as Admiral was a bit much too, I really didn't see the justification for that.

The TOS movies gave me the sense that starfleet didn't operate like a corporation with rungs to advance to the top on but that might have changed by the TNG era.
Lt. Commander
# 15
11-19-2010, 11:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT01 View Post
Uhm, 60 is not old for most humanoids in Star Trek, last I checked. She could still feasibly be captaining a starship.
Whether it's the same starship or not begs a different question entirely.
And besides Erzi is a Trill not a human,
Lt. Commander
# 16
11-19-2010, 11:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir1536 View Post
Im only vaguely aware of the more popular book seres, haven't read them but have read summaries

Ezri making captain made sense, gradually growing as a character and utilizing the Dax symbote instead of being overwhelmed by it. That actually seemed like a natural progression of the character. I also believe that she wasn't just a captain overnight, something about the captain and/or first officer dying putting her in command of the Aventine.

Chakotay is exactly what I think of when I read USS Parallax's post.

Besides the fact that the character was really awful, in several ways. (seriously a "nondenominational" Indian tribe.. Voyager writers at times..) He was a terrorist, I don't think that starfleet would necessarily throw them all in prison upon there return but being placed in the captains chair...no.

Janeway as Admiral was a bit much too, I really didn't see the justification for that.

The TOS movies gave me the sense that starfleet didn't operate like a corporation with rungs to advance to the top on but that might have changed by the TNG era.
Janeway was promoted in the movie, shes seen giving orders to picard in nemesis with a Vice Admirals rank on, also not book canon, movie cannon.

Maquis were pardoned after the war. And chakotay had a fine command record aboard voyager. So yeah i think he'd be captain of voyager after janeway was promoted, seeing he was first officer and all, and janeway was an admiral with some pull.
Lt. Commander
# 17
11-19-2010, 11:41 AM
Lt. Commander
# 18
11-19-2010, 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS Parallax

Beverly (She made it too fast, it would be more believable if they waited some time for he to Captain the Olympic-class ship).

Worf would have been had he not done that mission where he failed it to save Jadzia (a lot of good that did) and become Ambassador, he's Commander.

Deanna Troi

Ro Laren (Seriously, you betray the Federation then they promote you to CAPTAIN)

You're talking about the command crew of the flagship of the federation, all 10+ year veterens in starfleet, and they were all lt cmdr's in TNG or above, you didn't think they'd be captains soon?
Lt. Commander
# 19
11-19-2010, 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS Parallax

Deanna Troi

I don't think you were reading the same novels I was.

Crusher was shown as Captain in the All Good Things series finale, set 25 years into the future. There are no novels that make her a captain.

Troi is a commander and serving with her husband aboard the Titan.

Data is dead in hard canon and only the soft canon comic book prequel shows him anything other then dead.

Ro Laren was never shown in any book being higher then Lt. Cmdr in Starfleet.
Lt. Commander
# 20
11-19-2010, 11:44 AM
Ezri makes captain the same we we do in game, (and the same way Picard does)

She was 2nd officer on the USS Destiny, and during a battle the Captain and XO got fragged and she took command.

Besides, she has 9 lifetimes of experience in the symbiont, several of them veteran Starfleet officers, so its not like she's a newbie.

Edit: Actually, the Countdown comics were declared hard canon (equal standing to TV and movies)

And Geordi was shown as a captain on Voyager, so... thats not a book thing either.