Lt. Commander
# 11
11-19-2010, 05:17 PM
There's no actual mention of a tool or anything. People just made an assumption.

I hope it's not a tool. I want to hand in a schematic and action picture of a design.

As for collaborations... Personally I'm kind of iffy about it. I mean, I'm okay if you designed the ship 100%. But if you just give someone a very rough sketch then they clean it up and add this and that and make it something (drawing, model or whatever) then... unless it's specifically stated that collabs are okay I don't like that idea.

I was thinking of trying to find a modeller for my ships which I design 100% myself. I have modeling experience but it's been like 5 years and I used Maya which is way too expensive and is only at school.
Lt. Commander
# 12
11-19-2010, 05:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Trek "Design the Next Enterprise"
We're setting up a spceial tool for you to submit your designs, and it'll appear December 9, 2010. Be sure to check back in for your chance to Design the Next Enterprise!
Bam. Check it: http://www.startrekonline.com/enterprise
Right there are the bottom, dude.
Lt. Commander
# 13
11-19-2010, 07:45 PM
Sounds more likr a simple uploader.
Lt. Commander
# 14
11-19-2010, 08:59 PM
Bleh, that sounds disappointing. Takes away all the skill.
Lt. Commander
# 15
11-19-2010, 09:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS Parallax
Bleh, that sounds disappointing. Takes away all the skill.
If it makes you feel any better, even if the contest isn't demanding a particular level of skill, it still takes a certain level to make a non-ugly ship.
Lt. Commander
# 16
11-19-2010, 09:09 PM
You can make any ship, just keep in mind that it may be named after an ancient form of dance! :p
Lt. Commander
# 17
11-19-2010, 09:15 PM
The way it's worded could mean that the tool will only be used for submissions. For all we know you can draw or model something and submit it with the tool... I'd hope anyways.
Lt. Commander
# 18
11-19-2010, 09:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormoran View Post
You can make any ship, just keep in mind that it may be named after an ancient form of dance! :p
lmao....you would mention this...
Lt. Commander
# 19
11-19-2010, 09:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS Parallax
The way it's worded could mean that the tool will only be used for submissions. For all we know you can draw or model something and submit it with the tool... I'd hope anyways.
I can draft. I can also photoshop straight lines or mess around with vector.

I gotta say, I'd almost rather have a tool with lots of shapes that can be deformed.

Why?

Because drafting is work. And also because if they DON'T provide a tool, they'll get lots of blobby crayon sketches. And that presents two problems:

- Their eyes will glaze over.

- They might actually pick a blobby crayon sketch if they dig something about it and can see a way to do something cool with it. This is a design contest to see what triggers an emotional response from the artists, not a technical skill competition. (If it was, they'd just hire a pro.)

So a strong artist shouldn't have an edge anyway, given those parameters. And a tool at least evens everyone out so that you DON'T lose to a crayon sketch.

The flipside? There are some cool features I have in mind that a tool wouldn't allow me to diagram. On the order of multi-vector assault.

I dunno. I'm wary about this becoming a drafting contest rooted in familiarity with tech manuals. Or that it won't be one but that some skilled engineers will see it as one and then get upset when a five year old's Crayola notebook sketch wins.

A tool insures a uniform standard of quality and that nobody gets a head start, like us forum types.
Lt. Commander
# 20
11-19-2010, 09:51 PM
Precisely. And, because it's a tool, possibly with oodles of preset pieces and combinations and whatnots, it allows anyone to participate; no one will feel excluded simply because they lack enough skill.
Though as Leviathan pointed out, there's always the off-chance a child-like crayon drawing could get picked.... small, but possible, lol.