Lt. Commander
Iam curious with the talk about directx 11. I have heard people discussing it and wanted a more clear answer. Is it supported with sto, does it change the looks of the game now??? Any info on this would be great.
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-19-2010, 06:59 PM
It's on the tribble build at the moment and from what i can see, no it doesn't change a damn thing. Right now it's just there so their next adverts for STO can say "in Directx11!!!!!"
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-19-2010, 07:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormoran View Post
It's on the tribble build at the moment and from what i can see, no it doesn't change a damn thing. Right now it's just there so their next adverts for STO can say "in Directx11!!!!!"
gotcha. Iam still on the fence if I should or shouldnt *sigh*
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-19-2010, 08:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXLocutusXx
gotcha. Iam still on the fence if I should or shouldnt *sigh*
I don't think it's worth it unless there's a huge difference. Of course it doesn't matter to me, because I was forward thinking and got myself Windows 7 with a DirectX11 graphics card last year.

Got to think ahead.
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-19-2010, 08:18 PM
STO is not Farcry / Crysis / your next graphically demanding game -- it's just the opposite .

It's designed so that the avarage PC with an avarage graphics card can play the game , and make it look good (look at the minimal recomendation for hardware) .

I'm playing it on two PCs , one decent , and one that has a single core cpu and a graphis card that is well below the minimal recomandation , and even on the older system I can get decent graphics .

So , to make it short ,the engine of this game is a bit old... , and if it runs on Direct_x 9c , it's not designed to blow you away at Direct_X 11 .
If you want hardware that runs Direct_X 11 , you want that for other games , not STO .
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-19-2010, 08:31 PM
FYI, the latest Tribble release disabled the DX11; it is not yet completed and was not intended to be available for testing. So you may want to hold off on upgrading to a new graphics card to suppot it. (wait until it's actually released; if it's several months from now, you'll save money on the cards then)
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-19-2010, 08:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotrik1 View Post
STO is not Farcry / Crysis / your next graphically demanding game -- it's just the opposite .

It's designed so that the avarage PC with an avarage graphics card can play the game , and make it look good (look at the minimal recomendation for hardware) .

I'm playing it on two PCs , one decent , and one that has a single core cpu and a graphis card that is well below the minimal recomandation , and even on the older system I can get decent graphics .

So , to make it short ,the engine of this game is a bit old... , and if it runs on Direct_x 9c , it's not designed to blow you away at Direct_X 11 .
If you want hardware that runs Direct_X 11 , you want that for other games , not STO .
Yeah, when I heard about the directx11, got me thinking well maybe the upt the graphics abit. Was kinda excited. But if it really dosnt change by updating my graphics card "geforce 9800 gtx" then I wont even bother installing it. Iam not even sure what iam running atm. HHAH i should check

wow *nob head* just found out iam already runnin direct 11 :p silly old me...ill just go over here
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-19-2010, 10:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXLocutusXx
wow *nob head* just found out iam already runnin direct 11 :p silly old me...ill just go over here
Even amongst nerds, there are nerds. It's all technobabble after a bottle of wine.
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-20-2010, 01:25 AM
For what its worth, upgrading the engine to handle directx 11 wont improve anything unless someone codes in something that only directx 11 can do. For the most part, new versions of directx do not 'improve' any existing resources.

So whats happening is probably to allow the devs to play more with new graphics options as they come up with them in the future. First step is to update the engine to support it, so i dont expect any real change as of now. Maybe in season 5>>>> or something, lol.
Lt. Commander
# 10
11-20-2010, 03:02 AM
So far, DX11 has been one of the most useless "features" of Windows 7.

Well, I suppose it tricked a few folks into upgrading their Graphics cards for no reason, but other than that... yeah. Not that anyone who bought a DX11 card got ripped, since they are the top of the line cards and run DX9 or 10 games extremely well. I 'm just saying, you don't need DX11 yet.

Until a killer app comes along for DX11, it is all but useless, since 99.9% of all games are built on DX9, with DX10 support in there, and what few DX11 titles there are all pretty much suck.

In my opinion, DX11 won't become truly prevelant until the next gen consoles are launched and use it, thus requiring any ported PC games to require it as well, or until some killer app is created from the ground up which takes advantage of the entire DX11 feature set.

At present however, DX11 is pretty pointless.