Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
With Foundary release a month or two away (or less) one thing is going to happen: people are going to make their ship's interiors. Engine rooms, cargo bays, crew quarters, ect... are going to be mapped out with more variety than has been put in currently.

Now knowing how the foundary map creation process is going to be, I'm going to guess and say that it's likely to be a pre-defined "section" that you put onto a grid. (For interior maps anyway)
Even so, I suspect many will be created that will tax the limits of the engine.

With that said, I'm sure many would be acceptable as stand alone, non-mission maps that would work perfectly for Player Ship Interiors.

So, what are the legal issues with having map makers allow their maps to be used as official ship interiors?
Maybe have the community vote on which map we want to use? Or even allow us to choose between the top 3 most voted ones similar to how we choose our bridge?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
11-20-2010, 06:03 AM
As far as Im aware, ship interiors either wont be on the Foundry or we will have limited access to them.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
11-20-2010, 06:09 AM
I really wish they would add some actual "function" to the ship interiors.
Because right now they are a complete WASTE.

I "never" go anywhere but my bridge and sometimes my lounge to view new trophies.
But at this time they are definitely the most useless feature of the game.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
11-20-2010, 06:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDave View Post
With Foundary release a month or two away (or less) one thing is going to happen: people are going to make their ship's interiors. Engine rooms, cargo bays, crew quarters, ect... are going to be mapped out with more variety than has been put in currently.

Now knowing how the foundary map creation process is going to be, I'm going to guess and say that it's likely to be a pre-defined "section" that you put onto a grid. (For interior maps anyway)
Even so, I suspect many will be created that will tax the limits of the engine.

With that said, I'm sure many would be acceptable as stand alone, non-mission maps that would work perfectly for Player Ship Interiors.

So, what are the legal issues with having map makers allow their maps to be used as official ship interiors?
Maybe have the community vote on which map we want to use? Or even allow us to choose between the top 3 most voted ones similar to how we choose our bridge?
This isn't slated right now. Every developer interview says this is a ways off.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
11-20-2010, 07:09 AM
Aaahhh, ok. Pity. Well, we can hope for the future.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexraptor View Post
I really wish they would add some actual "function" to the ship interiors.
Because right now they are a complete WASTE.

I "never" go anywhere but my bridge and sometimes my lounge to view new trophies.
But at this time they are definitely the most useless feature of the game.
Nor I, but they gotta start somewhere.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
11-20-2010, 07:32 AM
While I know it's not within the scope of the initial Foundry release, I want to add a note to the discussion.

Form = Function for interiors. The RP community will get the most use out of interiors (or can until significant functionality is added). Make them look right, with less comically sized rooms and halls, and they will already be useful for a significant chunk of the community. If we can build something (some day) that is a little bit more unique than placing components of the existing giant map set.

Please re-evaluate the camera tech for Season 4 and the major ground update. Maybe we could get a few selectable positions (over left shoulder, right shoulder, first person, current, lower than current). This seems to be the primary engine feature that is holding back one of the most requested game fixes.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
11-20-2010, 08:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunnlang
While I know it's not within the scope of the initial Foundry release, I want to add a note to the discussion.

Form = Function for interiors. The RP community will get the most use out of interiors (or can until significant functionality is added). Make them look right, with less comically sized rooms and halls, and they will already be useful for a significant chunk of the community. If we can build something (some day) that is a little bit more unique than placing components of the existing giant map set.

Please re-evaluate the camera tech for Season 4 and the major ground update. Maybe we could get a few selectable positions (over left shoulder, right shoulder, first person, current, lower than current). This seems to be the primary engine feature that is holding back one of the most requested game fixes.
First person is never gonna happen. How could they sell us costume packs if we cant see outselves to make it worth it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
11-20-2010, 08:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridaguy74656 View Post
First person is never gonna happen. How could they sell us costume packs if we cant see outselves to make it worth it.
Same reason why people have various skins for FPS games.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
11-20-2010, 09:53 AM
First person would just be a camera option, not the only camera. Maybe if you zoom in all the way, it drops into first person.

They could still sell costume packs, because some people do take pride in their personal appearance. People also like to roleplay, where appearance can also matter. If looks matter enough that some one is going to buy a costume pack, they are likely to be fine not staring at their own butt 100% of the game, since they likely care what other people see as well.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
11-20-2010, 10:11 AM
Before we even discuss adjusting the camera for ship interiors, I'd prefer to see some more functionality.

The only thing we can do is adjust trophies and stare at our Captain's computer terminal - which is imitating life a bit too much. :p
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:16 AM.