Lt. Commander
# 11
11-20-2010, 08:51 AM
According to the stickied thread and evey post I've read by the devs, "Absolutely Never!"

That means about the time SWTOR comes out next year.
Lt. Commander
# 12
11-20-2010, 08:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
There have been alot of comments in interviews since then that are leaning more and more towards it being a likelihood.
You really have nothing to back that up with Nagus. Eventually it may, but eventually even WoW will probably go F2P.

The game seems to have a very healthy population which isn't the case for CO, and F2P isn't just set up the Cash shop and watch the Scrooge Mcduck size vault fill up...Turbine is currently dealing with a whole new set of issues stemming from an large out of control community that isn't buying from the cash shop, and they have no idea how to make it better because the Genie is out of the bottle, I have a feeling CO is going to be plagued with the exact same issue come 2011.
Lt. Commander
# 13
11-20-2010, 08:58 AM
Dude SWTOR!

Have you even checked their website?

I am a lifelong Trekkie so will still be here, but Dude SWTOR!
Lt. Commander
# 14
11-20-2010, 09:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by storm_dragon View Post
You really have nothing to back that up with Nagus.
Actually, I do:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...o-free-to-play

So as I said earlier, "There have been alot of comments in interviews since then that are leaning more and more towards it being a likelihood". You may not be aware of this, but the Devs have said much more about this subject on other sites than they have here on the forums.
Lt. Commander
# 15
11-20-2010, 09:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomicile
Except ST is a franchise, an entity. LOTR is practically public domain, like Journey To The Center Of The Earth or War Of The Worlds. There probably are some royalties, depending on who owns the rights and whether the Tolkien family still has any legal hold on the books, if they haven't already pawned em off.

But it's by no means a multimillion dollar institution held by any one studio or entity. Only George Lucas has can claim that honor.
The Tolkien family still owns the rights and the books can't go into public domain until 2032. As far as how much money's to be made, let's look at movies alone:

LotR: Return of the King, the last movie in the trilogy: $1.119 billion world-wide.

Now let's look at the last 5 Star Trek movies combined:

Star Trek 09: $385 million
Nemesis: $67 million
Insurrection: $112 million
First Contact: $146 million
Generations: $118 million
Grand total: $828 million world-wide.

I love ST as much as the next guy but don't fool yourself into believe that Tolkien's material still isn't making money for his family hand-over-fist or that it's not a major property. Heck, the Hobbet will probably make another billion dollars.
Lt. Commander
# 16
11-20-2010, 09:07 AM
Quote:
There have been alot of comments in interviews since then that are leaning more and more towards it being a likelihood.
I plan on the game eventually going the Hybrid F2P model but I prefer to base my statements on what devs actually say rather then what they hint about what could happen.
Lt. Commander
# 17
11-20-2010, 09:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
I plan on the game eventually going the Hybrid F2P model but I prefer to base my statements on what devs actually say rather then what they hint about what could happen.
This ^

But look at it this way if they do go F2P Nagus will have even more things to bicker with people about.
Lt. Commander
# 18
11-20-2010, 09:16 AM
Quote:
From the recent Dev statement stickyed at the top of this section of the forum, the game's not expected to go FTP. Please read the Champions Online stickyed thread for more info.
Quote:
Since they said they weren't planning on it, it will happen.
Lt. Commander
# 19
11-20-2010, 09:17 AM
Quote:
Maybe your imagining things, but I never said they said the game was going F2P. I said their comments are leaning more and more in that direction. So that is no different than what you just said, about them "hinting what could happen".
Lt. Commander
# 20
11-20-2010, 09:19 AM
Quote:
Maybe your imagining things, but I never said they said the game was going F2P. I said their comments are leaning more and more in that direction. So that is no different than what you just said, about them "hinting what could happen".
Whatever trips your trigger my Ferengi comrade.