Lt. Commander
I love what the devs have done with sector space on tribble. it looks absolutely amazing. The nebulas and the stars whizzing by, and the systems with stars growing larger. All of it is fantastic. However, there is one thing that i thought was missing. We need space weather. Ion Storms.

There are several magnitudes of storms with the type 1 and type 2 being the weakest and being not harmful to space craft, with type 6, 7, 8, and higher being capable of destroying starships. These storms could be small contained within specific systems, and others being large enough to span entire sectors. They can prevent a variety of technologies from operating properly, including transporters, communications, engines, and even entire ships. Crew members are also suspectible to these types of space weather. These storms can also move very quickly, I believe even hitting some high warp velocities (warp 5 and 6).

I'd love to see the occassional ion storm develop and blow through sector space and affect the systems within those areas. if the storm is strong enough, it can damage your ship. But, they can be avoided by plotting a course around it. When we enter a sector with a large storm blowing through, we can get a pop up warning to avoid the storm by finding an alternate route.

Then, if we find ourselves stuck in the storm, a mission could begin requiring us to prepare to ride the rapids. This mission would require certain systems be shut down and secured. Evacuate the crew to safe zones / areas. And maybe even protect the ship from alien invaders.

So what do you think about space weather being included in a future update to enhance the new sector space?
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-19-2010, 01:39 AM
I take it you didn't fly through the badlands.
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-19-2010, 01:42 AM
for a moment i hoped you were referring to ollie williams...
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-19-2010, 01:46 AM
I had posted somethiing similar in a thread, about having asteroids/comets and what not traveling in space. Ion storms would be cool too. Random accurances would make the new space even better
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-19-2010, 02:01 AM
I think this would be a great idea for when we can repair our ships from engineering.
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-19-2010, 02:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXLocutusXx
I had posted somethiing similar in a thread, about having asteroids/comets and what not traveling in space. Ion storms would be cool too. Random accurances would make the new space even better
My sarcastic rant about space floods and similar events, that add nothing to the game, but one more mission to do, is withheld because I do not want the quoted poster to think I'm stalking them.

Nice idea, but really, is weather all we can post about? Can't you just lump it into distress calls and the other 4 or 5 things that broke up a few episodes of later trek?

I'm not against the idea, just the current trend of new posts without thinking about whats be said before.......Well then again there are some people who love to increase the post count by pointing out your good idea shouldn't raise the dead.

I bow to the majority that thinks a new thread is better than learning from a old thread (and not repeating crap)

Move along nothing to see here....
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-19-2010, 02:15 AM
I'd like to see scannable anomalies too. I don't mean the little orange thing to get crafting materials, i mean asteroids, and black holes, or the leftovers of a super nova, and the aforementioned ion storms. Things that can present non-combat danger for some sort of reward.
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-19-2010, 02:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maina View Post
My sarcastic rant about space floods and similar events, that add nothing to the game, but one more mission to do, is withheld because I do not want the quoted poster to think I'm stalking them.

Nice idea, but really, is weather all we can post about? Can't you just lump it into distress calls and the other 4 or 5 things that broke up a few episodes of later trek?

I'm not against the idea, just the current trend of new posts without thinking about whats be said before.......Well then again there are some people who love to increase the post count by pointing out your good idea shouldn't raise the dead.

I bow to the majority that thinks a new thread is better than learning from a old thread (and not repeating crap)

Move along nothing to see here....
And some people have anger issue's but that dosnt stop them from posting

Its the forums we can post on things we would like to see in game, you know it is afterall the Startrek Online Discussion section. Maybe people want more to the game, ever ponder on that?

You surely sound like your against it. How do you know the poster hasnt thought it through, do you have an ability unlike other humanoids that allows you to hear their inner thoughts?? No... didnt think so.

If there was another thread then so be it. Iam sure theres been posts that have repeated themsevles over and over again. I would suggest you reading your last statment and follow through it.
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-19-2010, 04:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pr1983 View Post
for a moment i hoped you were referring to ollie williams...
Hahaha, yeah, as soon as I saw the thread title, I though of Ollie too
Lt. Commander
# 10
11-19-2010, 04:43 PM
i forgot to mention that this would be a long term goal, but i think it would be interesting to see in game. The idea of comets, distress calls, and a variety of other natural phenomena appearing in sector space would enhance it even further. however, I have seen in this forum several mentions of the others, but none specifically for ion storms. I was just trying to add something new. And I believe that space weather could be a welcome addition to sector space that would enhance it, make it seem more like star trek, while giving the devs plenty of time to think on it, and figure out how to include it in a future update. Additionally, since these storms can be of varying sizes, it's possible for it add an element of risk to sector space, which to me seems a bit too safe. We need something to break up the monotony of simply traveling from system to system to make sector space even better. if you have avoid a storm front to reach your destination, that requires involvement. If you find yourself stuck in the middle of a storm, a mission could appear that requires you to batton down the hatches. I think this will only enhance the beauty of the new sector space.