Lt. Commander
I ran across and interesting and mildly disturbing website today. Apparently there is a new Star Trek MMO in the works. I won't give out the website, but I just wanted to know were the Devs stood on this. It's a free to play Browser MMO which mean it will most likely not be anywhere near as immersive as STO, but would another ST MMO pose a threat to a game that I have poured so much of my time and money into. The last thing I want to see is STO fall. I love this game and look foward to playing for a very long time.
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-20-2010, 09:44 AM
Get ready, the people who are insecure about this game(STO) are about to start bashing the one you just mentioned.
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-20-2010, 09:44 AM
very old news.

a browser based game is not much threat. dont worry about it.
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-20-2010, 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigh****cher View Post
I ran across and interesting and mildly disturbing website today. Apparently there is a new Star Trek MMO in the works. I won't give out the website, but I just wanted to know were the Devs stood on this. It's a free to play Browser MMO which mean it will most likely not be anywhere near as immersive as STO, but would another ST MMO pose a threat to a game that I have poured so much of my time and money into. The last thing I want to see is STO fall. I love this game and look foward to playing for a very long time.
It's probably some also-ran imitator of Farmville, if it's browser-based and "free" with an asterisk next to it. If it's being made, it's intended to make money, somehow, especially if it needs to be licensed first.

Like most imitators of the "next big thing", I don't think it will make quite as much of a splash. Teenage and college-age girls (the big demographic for Facebook for example) want to play virtual house and constantly chatter with their "friends", not fly around in spaceships.
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-20-2010, 09:45 AM
The devs don't really stand anywhere on it. It's a combat browser game. CBS licensed it out just as they licensed STO to Perpetual. CBS could license ST to 10 other companies too if they wanted to. I'm still hoping to see some new console games for the IP in the future.
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-20-2010, 09:50 AM
Thanks to all with input. I was more worried about people leaving for a free game. While I agree that it most likely be too much of a threat, the almighty pricetag of FREE can entice many. I'm not trying to bash this game in any way (I don't have enough info on it to formulate and opinion).
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-20-2010, 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
very old news.

a browser based game is not much threat. dont worry about it.
Yep about as much a threat as Warrior Epic was to ...well any other MMO.
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-20-2010, 10:00 AM
Quote:
Thanks to all with input. I was more worried about people leaving for a free game. While I agree that it most likely be too much of a threat, the almighty pricetag of FREE can entice many. I'm not trying to bash this game in any way (I don't have enough info on it to formulate and opinion).
I feel that "free" is often, in marketing, a bogus lure, and in the long run a lot of "free" stuff can cost you quite a bit.
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-20-2010, 10:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigurd Ross
I feel that "free" is often, in marketing, a bogus lure, and in the long run a lot of "free" stuff can cost you quite a bit.
I very much agree. Free is rarely free. And very often you truly get what you pay for.
Lt. Commander
# 10
11-20-2010, 10:19 AM
Quote:
I very much agree. Free is rarely free. And very often you truly get what you pay for.
The misleadingly named "Fly For Free" (FLYFF) gobbles cash like popcorn, so I have heard from players of it. Worse, you hit a brick wall until you pay up.