Lt. Commander
# 1 Betazed Sector and Borders
11-20-2010, 10:14 AM
Betazed sits there on the map, tempting us to visit and yet it has no sector block... we just casually fly by it on our way to visit the Alpha Trianguli sector block...

Wouldn't the Betazed sector make an ideal setting for a Weekly Series? They could also add a new sector "below" it... so that the Klingons have access via Eta Eridani...

and to avoid "warp point" conflict, they could either move the Defera warp point to the bottom left of the Eta Eridani sector instead of the left side.. or even better, they could put it at the top of the new Betazed sector..

Thoughts?

One major problem I am seeing to map expansion in this game is that some of the exploration sectors take up too much of the sector borders... don't get me wrong, I loves me some exploration... but it looks like Cryptic is boxing itself in a little bit and thats why we have the weird Eta Eridani to Defera sector jump in the first place..

Discuss.. ^_^
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-20-2010, 10:20 AM
The Feds can enter the Orellius Sector (where the Breeen series is) via Beta Ursae.
The Klingons weren't allowed into Beta Ursae at the time (or even today).
The Eta Eridani jump was put in for Klingons and has nothing to do with exploration.

Betazed and Ferenginar would make ideal locations for a weekly series - especially since dstahl hinted they're coming as "more, better" social instances.
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-20-2010, 10:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
The Eta Eridani jump was put in for Klingons and has nothing to do with exploration.
Oh I know, i was just trying to make the point that the map is a bit screwy right now with everything being blocked off, instead of just giving Klingons galaxy wide access in the first place. If they added Betazed and another sector off Eta Eridani, then opened Cardassian space to Klingons, they could just get to Breen space that way. But I have a sneaky suspicion that most people, even feds, use the Eta Eridani warp point to get to breen space, so chances are it will always be there..

I suppose I am just saying the entire map needs to be cleaner and more logical, right now it just feels kinda cluttered. I'd like to see all the sector blocks connected in a linear (non-transwarp) fashion, even the Gamma Orionis sector.

On a side note, I don't see the harm in opening up the entire galaxy to Klingons... they wouldn't have any extra content right now, but at least it would prevent the need for oddly placed warp points in the future..
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-20-2010, 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilravegirl View Post
On a side note, I don't see the harm in opening up the entire galaxy to Klingons... they wouldn't have any extra content right now, but at least it would prevent the need for oddly placed warp points in the future..
i think that is the plan, it just takes them awhile to convert sectors and put stuff in them for klingons. i fully expect romulan and cardassian space to be opened up to them eventually.

that area of betazed along with ferenginar which i believe is near need to be opened up.
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-20-2010, 11:51 AM
i always had the impression that space was three demensional ... Although, it is difficult to display a three dimensional map in two dimensions, they did the best they could. To me the Oriellas sector block is either above or below (take your pick) eta eradani and beta ursae. Further there is a problem with its orientation, but I guess it could have been inverted in order to make them fit. I've heard people say that Gamma Orionis is really far away from the rest of the galaxy, which is why the gate is there in sirius sector. However, the systems listed there have been featured in TOS. So, it can't actually be that far away. I always assumed that Gamma Orionis was actually situated above Sirius and Regulus Sector Blocks, and with both sector blocks completely surrounded by exploration clusters or other sector blocks, it was the only way to represent it. Extending this reasoning, Betazed and Fereginar could just be on another level that we currently haven't unlocked yet. Eventually, when these areas are added to the game, the devs will also revamp the galactic map to appear more three dimensional and thereby produce a more genuine and linear view of the galaxy as we know it.
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-20-2010, 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
i think that is the plan, it just takes them awhile to convert sectors and put stuff in them for klingons. i fully expect romulan and cardassian space to be opened up to them eventually.

that area of betazed along with ferenginar which i believe is near need to be opened up.
This. The devs could open up so much more area but they temper this notion by wanting to have stuff to do (unlike the ship interiors).
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-20-2010, 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilravegirl View Post
Betazed sits there on the map, tempting us to visit and yet it has no sector block... we just casually fly by it on our way to visit the Alpha Trianguli sector block...

Wouldn't the Betazed sector make an ideal setting for a Weekly Series? They could also add a new sector "below" it... so that the Klingons have access via Eta Eridani...

and to avoid "warp point" conflict, they could either move the Defera warp point to the bottom left of the Eta Eridani sector instead of the left side.. or even better, they could put it at the top of the new Betazed sector..

Thoughts?

One major problem I am seeing to map expansion in this game is that some of the exploration sectors take up too much of the sector borders... don't get me wrong, I loves me some exploration... but it looks like Cryptic is boxing itself in a little bit and thats why we have the weird Eta Eridani to Defera sector jump in the first place..

Discuss.. ^_^
I'm jealous of your lollipop. I want one!

Yes, I hope very much they open up Betazed, and I very much hope they provide housing much the same way SWG did. If they do, Betazed is where I will have my first. It was a feature that kept me paying long after they made the changes that cost them so many subscribers.