Lt. Commander
# 1 Let's make some NCO skills!
11-21-2010, 12:58 AM
Hey all - so as everyone knows, you can easily make one of your BOFFs a "chief" in terms of the rank pip they wear, but that got me to thinking - wouldn't it be cool if NCO BOFFs had their own skill chain? It would be really cool to have some NCO's on your team that have their own skills, so that there wouldn't be so many Commanders and such running around.

I'm also a big fan of Chief O'Brien, so I think his rank should get its due. What do you all think?
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-21-2010, 03:23 AM
Since when does a persons professional skill have anything to do with rank?
Obviously the chief engineer is always the most skilled person for the job, regardless of wether he is a Chief, Lieutenant or Liutenant Commander.
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-21-2010, 03:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexraptor View Post
Since when does a persons professional skill have anything to do with rank?
Obviously the chief engineer is always the most skilled person for the job, regardless of wether he is a Chief, Lieutenant or Liutenant Commander.
As someone who is actually in the military (US Army), I can say that unless you can demonstrate you have skill in your selected military profession, you generally are not going to be promoted. In STO, this is demonstrated by requiring an officer to have so many points spent on their abilities before they can be promoted.

Further, while I'm not completely familiar with the Navy's rank system, a Chief is (I believe) an NCO, not a commissioned officer, thus a Chief could never be promoted to Lieutenant/Lieutenant Commander. Chief O'Brian's actual rank was Senior Chief Petty Officer, which, despite the name, places him fairly high in the NCO rank system and not the Commissioned Officer rank system.

Chief Engineer isn't a rank, however, it's a position, generally filled by an officer and not an NCO. However it's the Captain's choice who he puts into that position.

I think the main reason we won't see specific NCO bridge crew is because enlisted servicemen in Star Trek canon commonly don't get a lot of screen time, Chief O'Brian being a rather large exception. However, it wouldn't hurt to be able to take on a few NCOs as part of a revamped crew system (which I believe dstahl has mentioned might be in the works eventually) to improve how you ship works.
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-21-2010, 04:32 AM
I never said Chief Engineer was a rank nor did i say anything about promoting a Chief to Lt or Lt.Cmdr.

I am referring to the ranks of Chief Engineers throughout the series in order to show that rank and skill do not have to go hand in hand.
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-21-2010, 04:40 AM
O'Brian was a Chief wth was he a seiior officer
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-21-2010, 05:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJames11 View Post
O'Brian was a Chief wth was he a seiior officer
He was a NCO however. Not a commissioned officer. DS9 had a few episodes actually going on about that difference.

Although I will say it was always pretty odd to me that Starfleet continued the Officer/Enlisted separation of ranks, prolly one of the most blatant vestiges of classism left in the Federation .
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-21-2010, 05:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reiella View Post
He was a NCO however. Not a commissioned officer. DS9 had a few episodes actually going on about that difference.

Although I will say it was always pretty odd to me that Starfleet continued the Officer/Enlisted separation of ranks, prolly one of the most blatant vestiges of classism left in the Federation .
It has nothing to do with upper or lower class.
Officers go through Starfleet Academy, Enlisted personnel do not and have no Officer training.
Because they lack the training they are not qualified to take on the responsibilities that Officers have.
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-21-2010, 05:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexraptor View Post
It has nothing to do with upper or lower class.
Officers go through Starfleet Academy, Enlisted personnel do not and have no Officer training.
Because they lack the training they are not qualified to take on the responsibilities that Officers have.
Which conflicts starkly with the continued existence of NCOs, and potentially even the CMCs.
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-21-2010, 05:23 AM
Why would there be Non-Commissioned Officer skills when we all play Commissioned Officers?

However, I would like to see crew assignments have more NCO billets (like the transporter chief generally being a SNCO - like Chief Petty Officer Miles O'Brien)
Lt. Commander
# 10
11-21-2010, 05:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reiella View Post
Which conflicts starkly with the continued existence of NCOs, and potentially even the CMCs.
And how does that Conflict do tell?