Lt. Commander
Just dipped my toes into Tribble, and seen something that's a bit concerning.

It seems that we need to create a new character to test the missions we write. All very well, but this will also take one of our character slots!

Most players only have enough slots for a character from each class. So where does it leave those who have filled their slots already?

Will they need to delete an existing character to be able to test their missions? (One they may not want to lose.)

Or will an additional slot be granted once they begin authoring?

Or, as is more likely, will they be pointed in the direction of the C-Store and told to pay up or get out?

It's a bit of a poor show if folk need to pay extra just for the privilege of creating content.
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-13-2010, 04:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeathenStorm View Post
Just dipped my toes into Tribble, and seen something that's a bit concerning.

It seems that we need to create a new character to test the missions we write. All very well, but this will also take one of our character slots!

Most players only have enough slots for a character from each class. So where does it leave those who have filled their slots already?

Will they need to delete an existing character to be able to test their missions? (One they may not want to lose.)

Or will an additional slot be granted once they begin authoring?

Or, as is more likely, will they be pointed in the direction of the C-Store and told to pay up or get out?

It's a bit of a poor show if folk need to pay extra just for the privilege of creating content.
I don't think you have to worry about this HS. It's just a toon that you use to test play. A dev can clarify this easily.
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-13-2010, 04:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
I don't think you have to worry about this HS. It's just a toon that you use to test play. A dev can clarify this easily.
Just going by what it says on the Create Content tab (emphasis mine):

Quote:
Please create at least one character so that you can test your content. This will take up one of your character slots, but you will be able to change the test character's level and equipment as needed.
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-13-2010, 05:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeathenStorm View Post
Just going by what it says on the Create Content tab (emphasis mine):

I'm guessing that it's kind of like Tribble v. Holodeck. When you create a character on tribble, it doesn't take away from your holodeck character slots, because your on tribble, not the holodeck.

So, there are two "spaces," if you will. One is the primary game that you play. The other is the foundry, where you create and use a toon to test stuff.

I may be wrong, but that is how I interpret the screen.
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-13-2010, 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
I may be wrong, but that is how I interpret the screen.
Each to their own, and with full respect for your interpretation.

But when I read "This will take up one of your character slots", I'm generally led to believe that one of my character slots will be taken up.

Has the wording always been like this? I'm surprised no-one flagged it up as potentially confusing.
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-13-2010, 05:34 PM
Looking at the Create tab, it also has toon slots, apart from your regular Tribble toon. They are just for play testing the missions you create. With your regular Tribble toons, you'll be able to play/review other's missions. In a thread, it states that once you create a toon for play testing, you'll be able to change its rank/abilities as needed for testing. Since I plan to write missions for both SF & KDF, it make's sense to have a test FED toon and a test KDF toon.
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-13-2010, 05:49 PM
Interesting...

I've filled up my roster on Tribble with junk characters, and sure enough I can't create any more.

However, the greyed out 'new character' button on the Create Content tab has a tooltip stating I've got 1 new character remaining. So presumably once it gets switched on everyone gets another test character.

The text on that screen could really use some better wording.
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-13-2010, 06:47 PM
I have looked into this, and when you hover your mouse over the create character tab, on normal character selection screen it will say you have so many slots left (In my case 7, so we will go with that.)

Then once you go to the Foundry tab, if you hover your mouse over it, it will say you have 8 slots remaining. So as you can see, it gives you a free slot. Additional Foundry characters will use your slots.
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-15-2010, 01:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders118 View Post
I have looked into this, and when you hover your mouse over the create character tab, on normal character selection screen it will say you have so many slots left (In my case 7, so we will go with that.)

Then once you go to the Foundry tab, if you hover your mouse over it, it will say you have 8 slots remaining. So as you can see, it gives you a free slot. Additional Foundry characters will use your slots.
Wait. Are you saying the foundry lab is out of closed beta, so schlubs like me can use it now?

EB
Lt. Commander
# 10
11-15-2010, 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebeyer View Post
Wait. Are you saying the foundry lab is out of closed beta, so schlubs like me can use it now?

EB
Nope, sorry dude.

maybe tomorrow

maybe january