Lt. Commander
I apologize if this was already thought of. I don't want to intrude on anyone else's ideas.

First, I really like the "Warp to Sector" animation sequence. Nice touch, with all of it's little sparkles and such as you disappear into a flash of light. Woo.

Second, I absolutely love how expansive Sector Space now feels (For anyone who doesn't know what I'm talking about). It most definitely is a step in the right direction, as Stahl said.

That said, I'm still feeling a big disconnect between Sector Space and the rest of the game. Floating around in a system feels absolutely no different than floating around in Sector Space, the difference being that your ship is scaled much larger to enable you to EASILY... well, what am I trying to say... go through sector space.

That's grand and all, but what do you guys think of making it a seamless transition?

What I mean is, when you "go to warp", your nacelles flash, everyone else sees that traditional animation, but you, instead, are just suddenly moving at warp speed ala Sector Space. No loading screens, etc. Everything is scaled normally with respect to the size of your ship vs whatever you're around, ala not being in sector space. Plot course or steer manually, and boom, go to warp.

Transitions between sectors should be seamless, too.

Why is this important? If we're going for the "space is huge" aspect, this would do it. Suddenly space would literally be an endless expanse that you're free to roam. I can see a problem where people would just warp into infinity, and I don't know how you'd handle that. In short though, there'd be travel time (albeit much shorter than normal for practicality), things would always be scaled properly all the time, and it'd feel just like space, which would REALLY add to the "Trek" feel.

To top it off, if you "set course" and go to warp, I don't see why there can't be a mechanic to roam your ship while you're on your way or something, but that can be looked into later. It would allow for "in ship" missions while you're on your way to your destination.

Any thoughts on this system?
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-22-2010, 11:05 AM
Yeah that would be nice and it really has been discussed since beta countless times. If it ever will change that way is truely uncertain or maybe even won't happen. That's all up to cryptic.

Your not alone on this one. Seems you are rather new here on the board although your reg. since this years beginning but because you didn't know that this topic has allready been discussed so welcome here and keep the suggestions up if you have any. Every bit of feedback is surely good for cryptic
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-22-2010, 11:11 AM
It's on its' way, dsthal has been hinting at this for a little while. It will probally be season 4 or 5 I would imagine, we'll see.
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-22-2010, 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EaglePryde View Post
Yeah that would be nice and it really has been discussed since beta countless times. If it ever will change that way is truely uncertain or maybe even won't happen. That's all up to cryptic.

Your not alone on this one. Seems you are rather new here on the board although your reg. since this years beginning but because you didn't know that this topic has allready been discussed so welcome here and keep the suggestions up if you have any. Every bit of feedback is surely good for cryptic

I'm fairly new, yes. I quit shortly after release because of the issues with ATI cards. I restarted again shortly after to see if it had been resolved and it hadn't. This go around my wife and I decided to start playing together and fortunately I now have an nVidia card

I did some searching around but to be honest I didn't go too terribly deep into searching to see if it had already been suggested. I'm glad dstahl has hinted at this, though It would make the game far more trekkie imho.
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-22-2010, 11:36 AM
The major problem has been "loading screens"

Well I have a solution for them.

When you get close to say beta urasae, you get a small dialogue saying "we are approaching the edge of our current sector. If you hit accept, you go into a cut scene. This cut scene would be your ship in sector space in warp, pretty much your screen without the hud. This will last however long it takes to load you into the next instance. Wahlah seamless space.
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-22-2010, 11:54 AM
Or one can do what some other games do and insert a brief empty region of space which you travese through while the next area loads.
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-22-2010, 12:14 PM
I'd be happy if they could git rid of 75% of the confirmation popups that plague this game.

----------------------------------

Do you want to leave the Sector?

-Yes-

Are you sure you want to leave the Sector?

-uhhhh...Yes-

Completely and totally positive you want to go somewhere else right now?

-Oh for crying outloud, Yes already!-

we're still not sure you are committed to leaving this Sector....

-Just go already you #$%*^&# piece of #$%#!!!!!!-

Ok, we'll let you go. For now.

-It's about #$% time! All you idiot navigators are relieved of duty for failing to obey my commands!-

---------------------------

yeah, let's get rid of some of the confirmations, ok Cryptic?
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-22-2010, 12:16 PM
I don't know if it does or if there is enough time but i've wondered why it can't load (or the biggest part) while your in the "gear up" to warp, that period when the camera swings around and your ship is just powering up before the jump.
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-24-2010, 01:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy2k View Post
I don't know if it does or if there is enough time but i've wondered why it can't load (or the biggest part) while your in the "gear up" to warp, that period when the camera swings around and your ship is just powering up before the jump.
I wouldn't think there is enough time to load all of that data. That's a quick little scene, though the "travel through a blank pocket of space" idea would solve that, but then how do you compensate for people ALSO loading at the same time? Naturally different computers load at different speeds (4HDD 10k RPM RAID0 Stripe vs 5200RPM 2TB Harddrive), so how do you... visually display that discrepancy?
Lt. Commander
# 10
11-24-2010, 11:44 PM
A seamless transition would be great, though I think it might be difficult to achieve in STO because of how the system works. After all, some people like to join instances that have others in it. Then there are others, like myself, who don't like to be autogrouped with people we don't know (or with people who would prefer to leech off another and not work for hte rewards)

If they can make a transitional system that still honors the old rules, then sure, I'm all for it.