Lt. Commander
Since the official launch of the game, i have always felt that Fed PvP was missing a little something: the masses of players left PuGgers unsure on whether they would get a co-operative team or not. since the introduction of emblems, things have gotten much worse, with a whole lot more Fed players jumping into PvP, but the majority of them only there for the emblems, and so either sit at the entrance or flat out go afk. Im getting weary of that, plus the now growing stale PvP maps and game modes also need attention.

I had an idea about a month ago on how to add some more excitement and (hopefully) improved teamwork as well as a new breath of life into STO PvP.

how i have it written down:

It starts off in space. there are 2 space stations on either end- defended by turret groups and transport inhibitors, and enough room for a battlefield in the middle. the goal of the space element would be to destroy all of the turrets and transport inhibitors, take down the space stations shielding, and then board for an assault. once a team has successfully accomplished the space mode, both teams will switch to a ground assault. the goal of the space station assault would be to plant 10 spatial charges in the engineering room of the enemy space station. you would have to work your way down to engineering by fighting through various checkpoints, each checkpoint would essentially be a battlefield through corridors and open rooms.

this would make the PvP more challenging, add a bit more fun, and expand on the need for teamwork.

this would also add to the whole feds at war with the Klinks setting too with some real life battle.

this type of game mode could also work for fighting over planets with a few little tweaks.

well, what do ya think?
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-22-2010, 03:28 AM
Does not sound bad at all. Though I would need to spread skillpoionts between space and ground combat. Rendering me a generalist, with no real advantage in both situations. While this might be a good idea for this mode specifically, it would hurt me badly for anything else. So I wouldn't take part at all tbh.
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-22-2010, 04:08 AM
great idea, but spawn would have to be at separte spot or it would be impossible to take down fort.
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-22-2010, 04:24 AM
I like it in principle and general style. It does sound like it would be fun and exciting. My only gripe is that I still can't bring myself to enjoy ground combat. Maybe that would change with a map and match style like this. At any rate, if it adds something to PVP, which we all know isn't exactly on the front burners, then I'm for giving it a try.
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-22-2010, 04:33 AM
I like the idea.. but make it so it unlocks a new game option for ground pvpers instead of making us spacers have to be inflicted with having to play it.
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-22-2010, 05:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekkameron View Post
I like the idea.. but make it so it unlocks a new game option for ground pvpers instead of making us spacers have to be inflicted with having to play it.
the idea behind this is not to lump strictly space PvPers to ground. the idea is more to do with expanding on the current PvP game modes, while adding more actual warfare between Klingons and Federation.

while that means that to be most effective people will have to learn to spec between ground and space when in PuG mode, there is also the whole added benefit of working as a team and having that team of space PuGgers having to really work hard and well as a team on the ground element, and furthering team strategies by working out an appropriate class mix.

i dont like the ground combat mechanics too much right now either, but remember that by the end of the 1st quarter next year, we are going to have a revamped ground control scheme, so i believe now would be a good time for me to speak up on this idea.

that is also why i mentioned the planetary assault mode as an option too. When there has been wars in the Star Trek Canon, there has always been battles on planets or corridors in starship hallways. for the planetary assault, im still sifting through the few alternate ideas on how it would play out. I will post an update once i have come up with 2 solid options
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-22-2010, 07:57 AM
What I don't really like is the "forced symmetry", so to speak. Why does it have to be two bases?

That seems weak, story-telling wise. Just have "Assault" mean "Assault/Defense". One group is the defender, one group is the attacker. Of course that would mean if the defender wins, there would be no ground part.

In the long run, we expect to have something Open PvP or territory control. We need to test how assymetric goals on a PvP map actually work anyway, and such a map seems a decent opportunity to do so.
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-22-2010, 08:00 AM
I like it, and I think we've gotten some indication that a ground overhaul is coming anyway. The space+ground combo on the same engagement is very Trek. I also like the idea of somebody owning in space, then someone from the other faction making sure they eat bulkhead on the ground.
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-22-2010, 08:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekkameron View Post
I don't understand this hate for ground PvP. Ground PvP is amazing awesome and exciting!

I like this idea, as I do anything that merges ground and space.
Lt. Commander
# 10
11-22-2010, 08:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felderburg View Post
I don't understand this hate for ground PvP. Ground PvP is amazing awesome and exciting!

I like this idea, as I do anything that merges ground and space.
I think it makes more sense to be able to send in your elite ground troops after your elite space forces have taken control of the area.