Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
11-23-2010, 02:21 AM
the purpose of mashing the ground and space is to add a more wholesome sense of achievement and make it look more like your fighting in a war over important territory.

Arena fights can be amusing when you have 2 great teams, but capture and holds are generally flat out boring.

your fighting over a destroyed space station, nebula, abandoned asteroid mining facility, destroyed spacedocks and an abandoned astrogeology lab.

i honestly fail to see how these checkpoints would be vital in a fight over territory.

also for the suggestion earlier about the synchronous attack, that would be a nice idea, if it were to be implementable with minimal bugs. but with the way the game is build, i dont really see how this can be feasible, plus it would increase the wait time in queues.
Lt. Commander
# 22
11-23-2010, 03:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by apt.pupil
Arena fights can be amusing when you have 2 great teams, but capture and holds are generally flat out boring.
I find your lack of win disturbing. Cap and hold is the only reason I am still playing the game :p
Lt. Commander
# 23
11-23-2010, 04:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilhippo View Post
I find your lack of win disturbing. Cap and hold is the only reason I am still playing the game :p
it is fun when you are in a premade team, but for a pugger like me, i find it tedious and boring. most people i encounter on my team will abandon the capture and hold and just run in and fight just for the sake of racking up more than 1 mill damage per match
Lt. Commander
# 24
11-23-2010, 05:06 AM
Firstly, I like the idea.

If something like this was to be added I would like to see 3 objectives. Kind of like this...

1 - Attack the starbases defences and take down the starbase shields

2 and / or 3

2 - Board the starbase and plant X number of charges in perticular places to destroy the starbase

3 - Destroy the starbase from space

Doing it this way could mean a lot of team work is needed as you'll have to think about:
  1. How many people you send to attack/defend a starbase?
  1. When the defences and shields are down do you just keep shooting the starbase, send down away teams or a mix of both?

If you had it set up this way you could then win the map by either ground or space and have a PvP map that caters for both space and ground PvPer's
Lt. Commander
# 25
11-23-2010, 05:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by apt.pupil
it is fun when you are in a premade team, but for a pugger like me, i find it tedious and boring. most people i encounter on my team will abandon the capture and hold and just run in and fight just for the sake of racking up more than 1 mill damage per match
I agree that is a problem and why they REALLY need to record and display time-on-cap for each player to encourage more, er, capturing and holding.
Lt. Commander
# 26
11-23-2010, 05:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felderburg View Post
I guess if people hate ground so much, you could do what Dekkameron suggested and just have it unlock a ground PvP map for a certain amount of time...

I just hope all you ground haters are on tribble, testing the ground revamp when it comes out. I don't want to hear you complaining afterwards! :p
Maybe. :p

Quote:
Are you talking about the USS Victory type ship? I think it's been called the Jupiter class? I think it's pretty cool.
It's an incredibly ugly ship. Which kinda fits as a counter to the KDF Carriers.

I am still hoping for a CapnLogan polishing of the ship. maybe just improving the design of the nacelles and pylons would be enough!
Lt. Commander
# 27
11-23-2010, 09:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilhippo View Post
I agree that is a problem and why they REALLY need to record and display time-on-cap for each player to encourage more, er, capturing and holding.
i remember my first cap n hold match ever and the bitter disappointment i felt when it kept track of damage/heals as opposed to amount of capture points player has gained(or amount of time, though capture points would score better)
Lt. Commander
# 28
11-23-2010, 02:13 PM
I like it as well and it fits in with the genre.

Has anybody else heard rumors of mandatory ground skills becoming the norm?
Lt. Commander
# 29
11-23-2010, 07:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
I like it as well and it fits in with the genre.

Has anybody else heard rumors of mandatory ground skills becoming the norm?
nope, and part of me wonders how cryptic would force this onto the vast majority of players- the ones who pretty much only do space, and avoid ground under fear of death by mediocrity
Lt. Commander
# 30
11-23-2010, 10:51 PM
Quote:
It starts off in space. there are 2 space stations on either end- defended by turret groups and transport inhibitors, and enough room for a battlefield in the middle. the goal of the space element would be to destroy all of the turrets and transport inhibitors, take down the space stations shielding, and then board for an assault. once a team has successfully accomplished the space mode, both teams will switch to a ground assault. the goal of the space station assault would be to plant 10 spatial charges in the engineering room of the enemy space station. you would have to work your way down to engineering by fighting through various checkpoints, each checkpoint would essentially be a battlefield through corridors and open rooms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
What I don't really like is the "forced symmetry", so to speak. Why does it have to be two bases?

That seems weak, story-telling wise. Just have "Assault" mean "Assault/Defense". One group is the defender, one group is the attacker. Of course that would mean if the defender wins, there would be no ground part.

In the long run, we expect to have something Open PvP or territory control. We need to test how assymetric goals on a PvP map actually work anyway, and such a map seems a decent opportunity to do so.
The whole idea is very similar to (ironically) an Assault-mode map in Unreal Tournament 2004. Attackers and Defenders started out in space in fighters, with defenders also able to control turrets on the station, and once the attackers took out several key points and managed to land inside, then the fight moved inside the station, where several more points needed to be destroyed.

I agree with Mustrum, It works better as a set Attack/Defend. It would be interesting they way you've set it up Pupil, but my concern would be it would more often than not result in a more drawn out battle, and people would strat to lose interest and start dropping out mid-match.