Lt. Commander
# 1 Enigma Puzzle
11-22-2010, 07:19 AM
Hey, this is probably going to get shot down right away but here I go anyway.

Is there any chance that we could have a mission or a puzzle put into the game where it is so incredibly hard that very few people will ever be able to do it? Now I don't mean spawn 100+ borg on elite difficulty and force the player to grind through them all, but instead a puzzle or an investigation which starts from the very beginning of the game and hidden throughout different missions or STFs or fleet actions are tiny pieces of the puzzle like a hero ship hidden away from the main objectives of the mission. The reward for this could be a brand new ship which only the first (100?) people to finish the mission could get? I personally would love to see something which expands more along the lines of something which we could mull over and think about while we're doing other things. There is only so much thought which can go into ship fittings and STF tactics, we need something with a little more depth. The feature episodes were on the right track, but way too in your face with the facts, make us search for this stuff and only tell us hints that we have something to look for out there.

Anyway, love the work you guys are doing and I really am looking forward to all the future expansions coming up.
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-22-2010, 07:23 AM
Considering how many people I've had to tell how to make a drink I think the Enigma Puzzle is already in the game.

Since the game is played by 20 year MMO vets and young kids I don't think you'll ever see a reward that is limited to the first X number of people. Not everyone can play at the same time many would have the 100 rewards gobbled up before some people were even able to login.
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-22-2010, 07:28 AM
Well the point of the enigma puzzle would be to have something which couldn't be figured out in a weekend. It'd take time to go through and sort through all the missions again, find the ones which have relevant puzzle pieces, follow up on those hints, see which ones are still relevant (A lead to romulus from before the Hobus event wouldn't be useful) and continue to work towards it. This could be some sort of encrypted communication the hostess at the Captains table could give you and would be extremely vague. The point is, it should take really really long to complete, not because of grinding, but because of the effort you put in to uncovering the finer details of star trek and unraveling the secrets to the Enigma.
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-22-2010, 07:32 AM
Also it shouldn't be formated like todays missions where you can try again and just brute force your way into the enigma. If you mess up, you start all the way from the beginning again, or you don't even get an option to restart. You could be forced to continue the puzzle without the evidence which you lost from the "contact" you failed to pursuade into giving you information or failed to find during a mission or whatnot
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-22-2010, 08:17 AM
I guess what I was trying to say is that no matter how smart the dev who made the puzzle was there's going to be a percentage of the fan-base who are equally, if not more, smart. A puzzle that might take you or I a weekend to solve might take 1% of the player-base an hour. 1% of even 50k players if 500 players. And there might be 10% of the fan-base that has zero chance of solving due to age or other issues.

I just don't like the idea of a limited reward based on first come or how smart/witty someone might be compared to someone else.
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-22-2010, 08:23 AM
Mmkay, well maybe instead of a X amount reward amount we limit it to one per account, I still want to see something so extremely hard that only a few people will ever be able to fully understand and appreciate the intricacy of the puzzle. There were so many mysteries in TNG which never were finished or explained which could be utilized. It could be a Q puzzle...
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-22-2010, 11:22 AM
Anyone else have any input into this?
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-23-2010, 06:08 AM
This could also be used to help with the klingon issue as I like to call it. If cryptic ever decides to end the war this enigma puzzle could tie into why the klingons began their march of conquest in the first place. Attacking a colony is hardly honorable and I always thought it was a bit fishy to do so on accounts of ancient territorial claims.
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-01-2010, 06:30 AM
Anyone have anymore input into this possibility? Is the foundry going to allow us to choose the rewards for missions or will cryptic be choosing those?