Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1 How far is too far?
11-15-2010, 06:46 AM
I cant believe I never thought of this before, and Im suprised no one else seems to have mentioned it but basically how far, allegorically, can we go with reguards to our stories?

For example, I have a couple of new ideas. One about the Vulcans and a group Ive named the "Far Eastern Movement" who have forgone Kolinahr and retained emotion. They are not Romulans or aggressive but the Vulcans see them as a threat and their Religion is wrong.

Secondly, I have a Character who is about to be named a King on his home planet. As a diplomatic mission you are to oversee the handover and learn the Young Prince must choose a queen before he can be named a King... the only problem here however is that he is a gay character and he wishes to marr his lover but it is against the Planets beliefs and rules.

Would we be able to produce allegory tales of this nature or must we, like TNG and each successive series afterward, just drop it so we dont offend the family audience of Star Trek and this game as a whole
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
11-15-2010, 07:11 AM
I don't believe anyone will stop you from authoring anything you want, so long as it remains within the bounds of the Terms of Service. I imagine the Foundry works a lot like Fan Fiction: Someone may not like what you've written, They may not agree with it, They may not think it's Trek, but they can't stop you from publishing it. They can only choose to not play your missions.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
11-15-2010, 07:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naju View Post
I don't believe anyone will stop you from authoring anything you want, so long as it remains within the bounds of the Terms of Service. I imagine the Foundry works a lot like Fan Fiction: Someone may not like what you've written, They may not agree with it, They may not think it's Trek, but they can't stop you from publishing it. They can only choose to not play your missions.
Well, this being said. You might want to give someone fair warning in the descrption. (I heard that this will be implemented whenever the Foundry comes out) At least this way if people aren't in the mood to play something that will offend them, they will avoid your missions.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
11-15-2010, 07:38 AM
This is what I was thinking anyway, however I would only write and publish these missions if I felt I did it both a. Tastefully and b. Non-Offensive.

I normally hate fan fiction, but I think UGC within this game could be done brilliantlly, there are ideas of story arcs from people that sound brilliant that I cant wait to play but I do hope people dont shy away from doing Allegorys like these or even better ones that are out there.

If I do offend anyone then I hope they'd message me on the game and I would ammend or remove the episode depending on the complaint. I dont mean to offend at all though
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
11-15-2010, 07:49 AM
Yeah, just create your story how you want... as long it is within the EULA rules.... leave some sort of heads up in the description or something because it could have a negative affect on STO somehow.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
11-15-2010, 10:26 AM
I don't think Cryptic is going to bar you from writing homosexual characters into your stories. Your story deals with segregation and discrimination, which is a very Trek theme from my POV.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
11-15-2010, 12:02 PM
Inclusion is a huge issue in gaming and, typically, gamers who participate in a tight-knit community that shares the same core values won't stand for hateful or derogatory themes in their games.

That said, all of this content will be rated by the STO community. While sometimes eccentric and random, I'm sure that if your missions are tastefully written it doesn't matter that your characters are gay or straight. Just make sure you're putting it out there for the right reasons (plot vs strictly socio-political.)
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
11-16-2010, 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SP3CTREnyc
Inclusion is a huge issue in gaming and, typically, gamers who participate in a tight-knit community that shares the same core values won't stand for hateful or derogatory themes in their games.

That said, all of this content will be rated by the STO community. While sometimes eccentric and random, I'm sure that if your missions are tastefully written it doesn't matter that your characters are gay or straight. Just make sure you're putting it out there for the right reasons (plot vs strictly socio-political.)
Tastefull is key. But I do find it kind of funny that this is brought up. As many of the TOS fans will recall "Plato's Stepchildren" contained the first interracial kiss on TV. For those not so much a fan of TOS I found it on YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lThvEsP5-9Y Where as, back then, racism was the hot button topic. Gay rights is one of the hot button topics now. So socio-political would be a tag along in your mission's reaction. I encourage you to write it. As stated, in the big scheme of things, it won't matter that your characters are gay, the content and story are the most important part. And as for the rating, majority rules and SP3CTREnyc nailed it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
11-16-2010, 11:30 AM
Look at Caprica, for example. If all you do is change names and places and reorganized a few events while taking a few liberties here and there, you've likely gone a bit over board.

Subtly is key. Look at the story of some of the Ace Combat games for the PS2, they do a good job of Allegory with out being too obvious while also staying mostly neutral to the exact story they're taking inspiration from.


On a more personal note, the quickest way to make me not give a damn about your story, with out even having to read or watch it is to make it a heavy modern world allegory. Sadly, I'm in the minority, most people seem to want everything they watch and play to constantly remind them how messed up their world is, but given the choice, I've always preferred stories that escape reality and not shows that remind me about reality at every turn.

That said, you're free to write what every story you want and how ever you want to write it, but seeing that you asked around I figured you wanted other people's advice and opinions, well there's mine.

Happy gaming.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
11-16-2010, 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryulis View Post
...

Secondly, I have a Character who is about to be named a King on his home planet. As a diplomatic mission you are to oversee the handover and learn the Young Prince must choose a queen before he can be named a King... the only problem here however is that he is a gay character and he wishes to marr his lover but it is against the Planets beliefs and rules.

...
Should be fine...

Since initially there won't be player choices determining which direction the story takes, I'd be interested to see which your resolution would be.

Seems that either the player could be directed to endeavor to help the prince convince his people of the err of their norms through a series of events leading to his marriage to the lover and his becoming king. Or you could task the player to remove the princes gay lover from the picture and lead the prince thru retraining before finding an appropriate queen for him, who he then marries before becoming king. Or something in between or completely different.

Of course, ultimately if the tools go where we all hope they do you'll be able to leave important choices like these to the players themselves which will make missions like this much more acceptable for all. The biggest problem with moral choices is being forced to take one over the other because there really is no choice.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:38 AM.