Lt. Commander
# 51
11-24-2010, 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHARKFORCE View Post
....What do you mean by that?
Means they will nuke or close threads that pop up elsewhere promoting UGC missions. You know, like they do with other threads that pop up in violation of the forum rules.

Question is what will they do about people that will spam Zone chat?
Lt. Commander
# 52
11-24-2010, 01:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capulet View Post
Eh, people don't spam zone chat in CoX, they won't in STO. Besides, it looks like there might be a little section in ESD for some foundry related things, so hopefully any spam will be contained there.

Besides, many missions can be accessed throughout sector space, and I doubt mission authors will go sit outside the access point and spam that zone.
Lt. Commander
# 53
11-24-2010, 02:03 PM
Send me as many invites to play your missions as you like. My handle is @ThetaNine so get crackin!

I plan on rating missions based on their content. So make good missions to get a good rating. I'm not wearing my rear end on my shoulders, and I approve this message.
Lt. Commander
# 54
11-24-2010, 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felderburg View Post
Not only will rules that prohibit people saying "don't play this mission, it's terrible because ___" or otherwise being negative.
I sure as heck hope they don't do that. There's a difference between 'being negative' and flaming. There's a difference between me calmly pointing out in a guy's thread that, for example, his mission is riddled with spelling errors, or has a plot hole you could drive a truck through, and me saying 'l2spell idiot!' or 'OMFG you suck ur mission is stupid!'

This will actually be very entertaining for me. Because people on these forums bash Cryptic all day and all night for everything, but if anyone dares question, even in the most constructive way possible, some element of one of their missions, I foresee the same people flying completely off the handle and demanding that the posts be removed.
Lt. Commander
# 55
11-24-2010, 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Solok
I like to keep an open mind with regards to creative content. Not that I disagree with what you said, but I believe blanket statements like OP are not the sort of attitude we should have with regards to the foundry.

Thank you.

Oh and I'll throw in a little smiley face to convey how awesome I am, as you did.
I think its more of a statement to the idio.... sorry... creators of missions that then spam people to to try them, anyone spams me ty try a mission will be ignored, I will use the mission finder and look at mission ratings if I want to try them.

I wonder how many people make the.... kill 5 of <whatever> missions.......
Lt. Commander
# 56
11-24-2010, 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMiracle View Post
I sure as heck hope they don't do that. There's a difference between 'being negative' and flaming. There's a difference between me calmly pointing out in a guy's thread that, for example, his mission is riddled with spelling errors, or has a plot hole you could drive a truck through, and me saying 'l2spell idiot!' or 'OMFG you suck ur mission is stupid!'
Right, fair enough, that is what I meant.
Lt. Commander
# 57
11-24-2010, 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xceptionzero View Post
suppose it means anyone posting "please try my mission" elsewhere will get the topic moved to the right forum
This...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capulet View Post
Means they will nuke or close threads that pop up elsewhere promoting UGC missions. You know, like they do with other threads that pop up in violation of the forum rules.

Mixed with a little of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMiracle View Post

This will actually be very entertaining for me. Because people on these forums bash Cryptic all day and all night for everything, but if anyone dares question, even in the most constructive way possible, some element of one of their missions, I foresee the same people flying completely off the handle and demanding that the posts be removed.
And probably a great deal of this...

Will not be tolerated. I understand that people will want to help others to make better quality missions. However, publicly pointing out spelling errors, and nitpicking people's missions might, for some, be rather embarrassing, or offensive.

So, how can you provide constructive criticism?

Each time you complete a player authored mission, you'll be given the opportunity to rate that mission, and leave feedback for the author, who will have several means available to them in order to review said feedback.

Why can't you do this on the forums? Simply put, I believe the flames may very well reach to heavens, growing hot enough to make Hephaestus himself jealous.

Here's a short list of great tips for giving feedback that people will appreciate:
  • Start, and end, your feedback positively.
    • Positive reinforcement helps people to better accept criticism.
  • Don't focus on the negative. If you have a laundry list of complaints, sum them up on the forums. Then you can always offer to PM the creator a list of individualized suggestions or errors.
    • i.e. "I though your mission was ok, however, I think you need to work on mob placement a little bit. If you'd like to more, or want some tips, just let me know! I'll send you a PM with some examples of where I think you can improve, and some tips! Really though, I think your mission has some great potential. I loved the map you created!"
  • If you are receiving negative feedback, try not to take it as a personal affront. (This is VERY hard for most.)
  • Whenever leaving feedback, remember to follow Wheaton's Law.
  • Always try to take into consideration the people will be working hard to make missions for you to play through. If you show a lack of appreciation for their efforts, they won't make missions anymore.

Remember, it's hard to be a creative person. When you create something, you put something of yourself into it. For alot of people, telling them you don't like what they drew/wrote/painted/sang is kind of like saying that you don't like them.

If you're creating a mission, remember that not everyone will like the mission. When they say they don't like the mission, they're not really talking about you.

Please be respectful of that.

Thanks,

Stormshade
Lt. Commander
# 58
11-24-2010, 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormShade
This...

Will not be tolerated. I understand that people will want to help others to make better quality missions. However, publicly pointing out spelling errors, and nitpicking people's missions might, for some, be rather embarrassing, or offensive.

Each time you complete a player authored mission, you'll be given the opportunity to rate that mission, and leave feedback for the author, who will have several means available to them in order to review said feedback.

Why can't you do this on the forums? Simply put, I believe the flames may very well reach to heavens, growing hot enough to make Hephaestus himself jealous.

Here's a short list of great tips for giving feedback that people will appreciate:
  • Don't focus on the negative. If you have a laundry list of complaints, sum them up on the forums. Then you can always offer to PM the creator a list of individualized suggestions or errors.
    • i.e. "I though your mission was ok, however, I think you need to work on mob placement a little bit. If you'd like to more, or want some tips, just let me know! I'll send you a PM with some examples of where I think you can improve, and some tips! Really though, I think your mission has some great potential. I loved the map you created!"
  • If you are receiving negative feedback, try not to take it as a personal affront. (This is VERY hard for most.)
  • Always try to take into consideration the people will be working hard to make missions for you to play through. If you show a lack of appreciation for their efforts, they won't make missions anymore.

Remember, it's hard to be a creative person. When you create something, you put something of yourself into it. For alot of people, telling them you don't like what they drew/wrote/painted/sang is kind of like saying that you don't like them.

If you're creating a mission, remember that not everyone will like the mission. When they say they don't like the mission, they're not really talking about you.

Thanks,

Stormshade
Well said stormshade!
Lt. Commander
# 59
11-24-2010, 03:29 PM
Quote:
Will the feedback be anonymous, or will it have our character and account names attached to it?

What about the 'Report as Inappropriate' option that reviewers will get? Will that feedback be anonymous?
Lt. Commander
# 60
11-24-2010, 03:31 PM
Quote:
This...

Thanks,

Stormshade
<3. 'Nuff said.