Lt. Commander
# 62
11-24-2010, 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormShade
This...

Mixed with a little of this.

And probably a great deal of this...

Will not be tolerated. I understand that people will want to help others to make better quality missions. However, publicly pointing out spelling errors, and nitpicking people's missions might, for some, be rather embarrassing, or offensive.

So, how can you provide constructive criticism?

Each time you complete a player authored mission, you'll be given the opportunity to rate that mission, and leave feedback for the author, who will have several means available to them in order to review said feedback.

Why can't you do this on the forums? Simply put, I believe the flames may very well reach to heavens, growing hot enough to make Hephaestus himself jealous.

Here's a short list of great tips for giving feedback that people will appreciate:
  • Start, and end, your feedback positively.
    • Positive reinforcement helps people to better accept criticism.
  • Don't focus on the negative. If you have a laundry list of complaints, sum them up on the forums. Then you can always offer to PM the creator a list of individualized suggestions or errors.
    • i.e. "I though your mission was ok, however, I think you need to work on mob placement a little bit. If you'd like to more, or want some tips, just let me know! I'll send you a PM with some examples of where I think you can improve, and some tips! Really though, I think your mission has some great potential. I loved the map you created!"
  • If you are receiving negative feedback, try not to take it as a personal affront. (This is VERY hard for most.)
  • Whenever leaving feedback, remember to follow Wheaton's Law.
  • Always try to take into consideration the people will be working hard to make missions for you to play through. If you show a lack of appreciation for their efforts, they won't make missions anymore.

Remember, it's hard to be a creative person. When you create something, you put something of yourself into it. For alot of people, telling them you don't like what they drew/wrote/painted/sang is kind of like saying that you don't like them.

If you're creating a mission, remember that not everyone will like the mission. When they say they don't like the mission, they're not really talking about you.

Please be respectful of that.

Thanks,

Stormshade
short version

If you don't like thier mission, don't bite thier head off.
They will get better with practice...give or take :p
Lt. Commander
# 63
11-24-2010, 04:04 PM
I, for one, look forward to trying any and all missions. :O
Lt. Commander
# 64
11-24-2010, 04:11 PM
This is a perfect opporunity for me to level up my toons. Just throw me any missions!

Lt. Commander
# 65
11-24-2010, 04:12 PM
Wheaton's Law: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wil_Whe...heaton.27s_Law

"Don't be a [jerk]." Which Storm said very well.

Quote:
Why can't you do this on the forums? Simply put, I believe the flames may very well reach to heavens, growing hot enough to make Hephaestus himself jealous.
Well, now we know that Storm is a member of the Ancient Greek Orthodox church :p
Lt. Commander
# 66
11-24-2010, 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felderburg View Post
Wheaton's Law: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wil_Whe...heaton.27s_Law

"Don't be a [jerk]." Which Storm said very well.

Well, now we know that Storm is a member of the Ancient Greek Orthodox church :p
And here I thought it was - "If you can't find anything constructive to say...Shut up, wesley."

(Seriously though, Stormshade said it best. And honestly, if you don't think you can take criticism; then I would suggest not publically creating anything of the Foundry, as if someone plays a mission you wrote, you WILL receive criticism. And if you think, "Not my mission...it's perfect, tust me.."; I'll say, "Pleae, trust me when I say, No, it isn't."

When you do anything creative for public consumption, you'll always have 3 types of responses:

1) Those who think it's utterly wonderful and enjoyed every aspect.
2) Those who though it was okay, or don't really have an opinion either way.
3) Those who think it's utter crap; and can't believe someone spent time creating it.

And again, honestly, for ANY project, you'll get all 3 types of responses. What you hope is that there are more people from groups 1 or 2, then from group 3; but you WILL get feedback from all 3 if your craetion gets played. So just be aware and take the good and constructive criticism; and let truely negative and destructive criticism roll of your back as much as you can.
Lt. Commander
# 67
11-24-2010, 08:04 PM
Quote:
Remember, it's hard to be a creative person. When you create something, you put something of yourself into it. For alot of people, telling them you don't like what they drew/wrote/painted/sang is kind of like saying that you don't like them.
Which is why it would have been so great to see the people who have been dishing it out to you fine folks at Cryptic for a year take it for it change. Ah well, I guess you have to be the bigger people.

Editted to Add: If the new board is only going to be allowed to feature positive comments, and no negative ones, that's going to make it a pretty lousy place to look for good missions, isn't it? I mean, there will be no way to judge how good something is. Seems like using the in game tool and checking ratings will be far more efficient and effective.
Lt. Commander
# 68
11-24-2010, 08:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Solok
Hah and just think of all the possibly awesome missions you will miss due to close mindedness.
But this response also an aspect of close-mindedness since you are dismissing his statement as such. The OP is making it clear that he has a preference. Try having an open mind towards, and simply accepting another person's preference.
Lt. Commander
# 69
11-24-2010, 08:36 PM
Quote:
This...

Mixed with a little of this.

And probably a great deal of this...

Will not be tolerated. I understand that people will want to help others to make better quality missions. However, publicly pointing out spelling errors, and nitpicking people's missions might, for some, be rather embarrassing, or offensive.

So, how can you provide constructive criticism?

Each time you complete a player authored mission, you'll be given the opportunity to rate that mission, and leave feedback for the author, who will have several means available to them in order to review said feedback.

Here's a short list of great tips for giving feedback that people will appreciate:
  • Start, and end, your feedback positively.
    • Positive reinforcement helps people to better accept criticism.
  • Don't focus on the negative. If you have a laundry list of complaints, sum them up on the forums. Then you can always offer to PM the creator a list of individualized suggestions or errors.
    • i.e. "I though your mission was ok, however, I think you need to work on mob placement a little bit. If you'd like to more, or want some tips, just let me know! I'll send you a PM with some examples of where I think you can improve, and some tips! Really though, I think your mission has some great potential. I loved the map you created!"
  • If you are receiving negative feedback, try not to take it as a personal affront. (This is VERY hard for most.)
  • Whenever leaving feedback, remember to follow Wheaton's Law.
  • Always try to take into consideration the people will be working hard to make missions for you to play through. If you show a lack of appreciation for their efforts, they won't make missions anymore.

If you're creating a mission, remember that not everyone will like the mission. When they say they don't like the mission, they're not really talking about you.

Please be respectful of that.

Thanks,

Stormshade
What about people posting threads specifically asking for feedback?

What about people posting threads where people can submit their missions for review?

If you limit these two things, your UGC community will be dead in the water.

I cannot stress what a shortsighted move this is. The success of the Foundry will be dependent on the community that is involved with it, sharing missions and ideas, trading reviews and feedback, collaborating, running contests, and helping each other improve. You don't have enough faith in the creative side of this community to build something great.

If you prevent these kinds of threads, this UGC will go underutilized because you were afraid that there was CHANCE that people would be uncivil... nay that you COUNTED on us to be uncivilized and unconstructive.

This lack of faith is us is not encouraging, and not giving us the chance is an insult, a slap in the face.
Lt. Commander
# 70
11-24-2010, 09:00 PM
i think the reviews done in the foundry should be available for players to read when selecting missions and feedback should be privately sent to the author of said mission. thats how i see it anyways