Lt. Commander
# 1 New Pets To Add Ground Traits
11-25-2010, 10:56 PM
I would like to see additional pets offered such as Data's cat "Spot" or just a Somali cat; Janeway's dog "Molly" or just an Irish Setter; and Archer's dog "Porthos" or just a Beagle. Also, add the option to leave the pet behind.

Having the pet can add some kind of ground trait to the character like
Somali cat = Stubborn or Creative;
Beagle = Acute Senses or Lucky;
Irish Setter = Peak health or Sure Footed.
...or a whole new Ground Trait.

For example, Human Characters are given:
Leadership: +15% repair rate
Teamwork: +5% exploit damage

Then you can pick 2 additional traits only. Having a pet can give them an additional ground trait in case the two trait chosen earlier are space traits that they picked or they want to stack more additional ground traits. Now you can purchase a pet that can add a ground trait when taken on away missions.
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-26-2010, 06:51 AM
No thanks. I'm not fond of ability-boosting Familiars in fantasy-based game and they certainly have no canon basis in ST, IMO.
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-26-2010, 07:59 AM
A very neat idea, FlipORican! It will provide more welcome ship interior customization as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
No thanks. I'm not fond of ability-boosting Familiars in fantasy-based game and they certainly have no canon basis in ST, IMO.
What's really funny about this, despite the fact that the OP is talking about pets and not magical Familiars, is that the OP clearly laid out a case for pets being part of canon in Star Trek.
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-26-2010, 08:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWRicheson View Post
What's really funny about this, despite the fact that the OP is talking about pets and not magical Familiars, is that the OP clearly laid out a case for pets being part of canon in Star Trek.
Within the confines of the statement the OP wants Pets to function just as Familiars do in some fantasy games: vanity pet adding powers. That has nothing to do with the fact that some characters in ST have pets.
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-28-2010, 08:11 AM
Quote:
Within the confines of the statement the OP wants Pets to function just as Familiars do in some fantasy games: vanity pet adding powers. That has nothing to do with the fact that some characters in ST have pets.

There are several things in game that are not canon. Like, ships firing off firework emotes in space, instantly healed hulls in battle, casting heals to team mates, should I mention the carrier?, petting a tribble gives you a buff? and the list goes on.

The OP has a good idea and I see nothing wrong with it and using the argument that it is not canon after all the NON-canon stuff that exist in game already is hog-wash.
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-28-2010, 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenstarr
There are several things in game that are not canon. Like, ships firing off firework emotes in space, instantly healed hulls in battle, casting heals to team mates, should I mention the carrier?, petting a tribble gives you a buff? and the list goes on.

The OP has a good idea and I see nothing wrong with it and using the argument that it is not canon after all the NON-canon stuff that exist in game already is hog-wash.
I have no problem with people having pets. I just have a problem that those pets should empower people. What I'm saying is that ST is based off of real life consistency. It's not magic making things happen, it's technology. The idea that pets empower people comes from games where some animal traits can be magically transferred to their wizard masters to make them better. Archer didn't get "magically" better because Porthos was around and gave him an enhanced smell traits. Data didn't get "magically" better when Spot was around him making him a stubborn trait. In Trek pets are just pets. They're not items that make us more powerful.
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-28-2010, 09:50 AM
Quote:
I have no problem with people having pets. I just have a problem that those pets should empower people. What I'm saying is that ST is based off of real life consistency. It's not magic making things happen, it's technology. The idea that pets empower people comes from games where some animal traits can be magically transferred to their wizard masters to make them better. Archer didn't get "magically" better because Porthos was around and gave him an enhanced smell traits. Data didn't get "magically" better when Spot was around him making him a stubborn trait. In Trek pets are just pets. They're not items that make us more powerful.
I hate to tell you this...but there is already MAGIC in the game. You should have spoke out earlier if you wanted to keep the realism.
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-28-2010, 10:03 AM
Quote:
I hate to tell you this...but there is already MAGIC in the game. You should have spoke out earlier if you wanted to keep the realism.
It's clear that some people get it and some people don't. If you think Archer's nose should work better simply because he has a pet beagle more power to you. I don't think you'll find a lot of people who agree with that, though.
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-28-2010, 10:18 AM
Quote:
It's clear that some people get it and some people don't. If you think Archer's nose should work better simply because he has a pet beagle more power to you. I don't think you'll find a lot of people who agree with that, though.
First of all a dog can in real life be used for REAL purposes like...

1. Alerting it's master to a threat before he would normally be aware. (Accute Senses/Exploit dmg..for instance increased hearing or smell)

2. Dogs have been used to augment attacks in real life. (K9 Shepards- have one of those clamp down on your arm and see what happens)

3. Cats have uses as well that translate in the game such as increased sight and smell in dark settings.

So..you are you going to tell me that while we can pet a tribble and get a MAGIC buff, that we can't have pets that do translate into the game in a way that they can augment their masters abilities?

Not to be rude, but do you think you really have a grasp on the concept of the OP? I think not.

BTW Beagles were developed to be hunters. Be a good way to uncover stealth players.
Lt. Commander
# 10
11-28-2010, 10:28 AM
Quote:
First of all a dog can in real life be used for REAL purposes like...

1. Alerting it's master to a threat before he would normally be aware. (Accute Senses/Exploit dmg..for instance increased hearing or smell)

2. Dogs have been used to augment attacks in real life. (K9 Shepards- have one of those clamp down on your arm and see what happens)

3. Cats have uses as well that translate in the game such as increased sight and smell in dark settings.

So..you are you going to tell me that while we can pet a tribble and get a MAGIC buff, that we can't have pets that do translate into the game in a way that they can augment their masters abilities?

Not to be rude, but do you think you really have a grasp on the concept of the OP? I think not.

BTW Beagles were developed to be hunters. Be a good way to uncover stealth players.
Again, if you want to support the idea that's fine. I don't. I dislike the idea. It doesn't fit the genre, IMO. I don't own Cryptic so my vote in this thread doesn't count for any more then yours or the OP's does so I'm not sure why you think convincing me will also convince Cryptic.