Lt. Commander
I posted this in a discussion on the Tribble forum, but think it really belongs more here. (Sorry if I'm being redundant)

Just the other day I used my runabout in a pvp match just for fun..and it was exciting! Yes, it totally gimped my team - but at the same time the Klingons were like Dubya-Tee-Eff? Where did that little ship come from?
Then it got me thinking. How about a Runabout/Fighter PvP match option?

The runabouts are pretty maneuverable and I think it would add another fun pvp match option for only these small craft. Especially if it were Fed Runabouts vs. Klingon fighters. It would really open up the realm in the future further down the line to introduce other smaller "fighter" type ships like the Maquis Raider, Delta Flyer, different types of Shuttles seen in Nex Gen, DS9 and Voyager. Heck, even the shuttle pod from Enterprise or the old Galileo would be entertaining. There are a lot of interesting possibilties this could lead into down the road - but that's another subject.

Of course there are some that may think this is a silly idea or aren't interested - but they don't have to play the pvp matches if they don't want to. And I would think that most players would be excited to be able to use these smaller fighter ships/shuttlepods just to run around in throughout the game or even for roleplaying. So really it would just add further content and depth to the STO universe.

Another idea for a PvP mode:

Basically on your team there is always 1 player's ship that is selected as "THE VIP SHIP" or target of interest that the opposing team is trying to kill to give them points. Any other kills would not give points unless they destroy the VIP SHIP. Your team needs to protect that player's ship and at the same time trying to kill the opposing team's "VIP SHIP". I should also add that when the VIP SHIP is killed, a diffrerent teammate is automatically selected that becomes the new VIP SHIP and so forth.

This is just another game mode that I think could be extremely fun because it would actually support and increase the urgency of the idea of team members working together and using their healing abilities to reinforce coordinating protection of their VIP on the team.This PvP game option would work with all the current ships too - but I think it could be pretty fun with smaller runabouts/fighters.

And now that I'm typing this I think this would be wicked fun on ground maps too! Just think about it, it would totally apply. Gosh I'm getting all excited just thinking about it! I'm picturing medics and healing generators surrounding your team's VIP while the tactical officers are out there hunting down the opposing team's VIP. Oh the possibilities & tactics!

If the runabout/fighter ship option isn't of interest - I would hope you consider the "KILL THE VIP" option for current space/ground PvP combat.

Respectfully submitted,
-Klintobean

P.S. I would love to hear what other PvP gameplay concepts you guys are brainstorming about - let's post up our ideas! Don't be shy!
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-26-2010, 12:29 AM
i already have a thread on my ideas for making PvP more enjoyable. click the link on my sig
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-26-2010, 01:19 AM
Cool, I read it and left some feedback. What are your thoughts on the ideas I proposed here?
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-26-2010, 03:27 PM
to be completely honest, i dont see how either of your suggestions will add to the war between Feds and Klinks.

while in principle they sound like nice ideas for a multiplayer match game mode, i dont believe it really fits with Star Trek
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-26-2010, 03:54 PM
Hmmm...interesting.

I think that by using runabouts, shuttles, fighters etc. would absolutely reinforce the idea that the Feds and Klinks are at war - and that disputes and attacks don't always involve huge capital ships. It adds another level of conflict fighting between the two factions that could be fun.

As for my suggested kill the VIP Ship option, if you must somehow relate it back to the war between the two factions this could easily be done.

For example: Both ends of the map have planets or moons that have an outpost where a conference is taking place. Each team must try to apprehend or kidnap the opposing faction's Ambassador/VIP and take them aboard their ship. The ship that beams the VIP aboard becomes the ship that the other team must target to get their VIP back safely.

To be honest, sometimes when people play PvP they are not concerned with how it fits in with the Klingon/Federation war. Sometimes people just want to have a good challenging PvP battle.

How does the Starfleet vs Starfleet PvP matches fit in with the war? It doesn't make much sense to me. Why would they be fighting eachother? Because it's JUST a PvP match. Sure you could say they are just doing battle exercises or something - well you could say the same thing about any other kind of PvP mode such as Capture the flag or a VIP ship idea.

The enjoyment, challenges and fun of PvP shouldn't be at the expense of whether or not it all fits in with the conflict between the Feds & Klinks. This is a game and Cryptic has tried to express that first and foremost a game needs to be fun. Any PvP match idea could loosely support the underline conflict going on in the game - just as they have done with the current PvP options.

-Klintobean
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-26-2010, 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by klintobean View Post
Hmmm...interesting.

I think that by using runabouts, shuttles, fighters etc. would absolutely reinforce the idea that the Feds and Klinks are at war - and that disputes and attacks don't always involve huge capital ships. It adds another level of conflict fighting between the two factions that could be fun.

As for my suggested kill the VIP Ship option, if you must somehow relate it back to the war between the two factions this could easily be done.

For example: Both ends of the map have planets or moons that have an outpost where a conference is taking place. Each team must try to apprehend or kidnap the opposing faction's Ambassador/VIP and take them aboard their ship. The ship that beams the VIP aboard becomes the ship that the other team must target to get their VIP back safely.

To be honest, sometimes when people play PvP they are not concerned with how it fits in with the Klingon/Federation war. Sometimes people just want to have a good challenging PvP battle.

How does the Starfleet vs Starfleet PvP matches fit in with the war? It doesn't make much sense to me. Why would they be fighting eachother? Because it's JUST a PvP match. Sure you could say they are just doing battle exercises or something - well you could say the same thing about any other kind of PvP mode such as Capture the flag or a VIP ship idea.

The enjoyment, challenges and fun of PvP shouldn't be at the expense of whether or not it all fits in with the conflict between the Feds & Klinks. This is a game and Cryptic has tried to express that first and foremost a game needs to be fun. Any PvP match idea could loosely support the underline conflict going on in the game - just as they have done with the current PvP options.

-Klintobean
well runabouts tend to sit in science, cruisers, and space stations, have minimal firepower(except delta flyer), shield and hull. while it would be nice to have small fighter ships vsing each other, runabouts dont actually stray too far from their docks, so it doesnt make much sense having them fight one another. As i said- its a nice idea, but i dont think it will add anything to the trek war