Lt. Commander
# 381
11-29-2010, 09:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
[...]. That is the law of consistency 726 episodes and 11 movies established for the IP. To ignore that is just bad storytelling.
Nan, 10 movies
J.J movie is a joke ! a simple episode.
Lt. Commander
# 382
11-29-2010, 09:39 AM
Quote:
Nan, 10 movies
J.J movie is a joke ! a simple episode.
Even the 11th movie had some value. It showed how a late 24th century mining ship could easily devastate TOS era starship, both Fed and Klink.
Lt. Commander
# 383
11-29-2010, 09:40 AM
Quote:
Even the 11th movie had some value. It showed how a late 24th century mining ship could easily devastate TOS era starship, both Fed and Klink.
You call that flying station a ship?
Lt. Commander
# 384
11-29-2010, 09:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-94699
You call that flying station a ship?
Nero, himself, explains that in his era the Narada is a mining vessel.
Lt. Commander
# 385
11-29-2010, 10:10 AM
Quote:
Nero, himself, explains that in his era the Narada is a mining vessel.
Apparently it was Borgified.

Had the movie actually cared about being a good movie, it would've mentioned that.
Lt. Commander
# 386
11-29-2010, 10:14 AM
the movie was fine imo. full of plot holes, sure, but it brought star trek back in to focus. plus, it gave it a whole new audience. i used to work in a well known video store chain, and never in my life did i see teenage girls giggle over spock and kirk like i did when we had the big standee thing for the release of the dvd...

i just hope the 24th/25th century can keep going, even if only in star trek online and some of the books...
Lt. Commander
# 387
11-29-2010, 10:37 AM
The problem with this whole debate is that Cryptic sorta painted themselves into a corner. They HAD to go with a 25th century timeline as to avoid "corrupting" all the canon that came before it. It gave them the freedom to do whatever plot they wanted and they didn't have to worry about continuity.

The problem is, we, the players want to play Star Trek in the same universe we're familiar with. Idealy, STO would not have the Sovereign class, let alone Connies or NXs. Canonically speaking, there should be all completely new designs with the older designs being more rare the older they get.

But do you know how many people would ***** and moan about not having the ability to play as the Galaxy or Sovereign class? It would be impossible for Cryptic to make a Star Trek MMO and not include the ships we already know, even if it doesn't make sense, continuity wise.
Lt. Commander
# 388
11-29-2010, 10:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pr1983 View Post
the movie was fine imo. full of plot holes, sure, but it brought star trek back in to focus. plus, it gave it a whole new audience. i used to work in a well known video store chain, and never in my life did i see teenage girls giggle over spock and kirk like i did when we had the big standee thing for the release of the dvd...

i just hope the 24th/25th century can keep going, even if only in star trek online and some of the books...
It was Transformers in space without the novelty of the cars that turn into robots, which is no real surprise because it's written by the same people.

I really don't think it has done or will do anything for Star Trek. That movie is so bland and generic that it really could have been any franchise and it wouldn't have mattered. Moreover, I can't imagine the giggling girls going back and getting into TOS, TNG, or VOY, (maybe DS9) because it will not have the young teen heartthrobs doing the poll-tested stuff that is designed specifically to appeal to those giggling girls.
Lt. Commander
# 389
11-29-2010, 10:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangover_Boy
The problem with this whole debate is that Cryptic sorta painted themselves into a corner. They HAD to go with a 25th century timeline as to avoid "corrupting" all the canon that came before it.
Interestingly, other games managed this just fine. I guess it's just easier to do - but is it the only way? Hell no. :p

I'd have said "this is right after Nemesis", but that's just me. But even if you set it earlier than that you can avoid that corruption by simply being careful. Heck, the shows themselves didn't manage to not corrupt their own setting. >_>

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotD
Moreover, I can't imagine the giggling girls going back and getting into TOS, TNG, or VOY, (maybe DS9) because it will not have the young teen heartthrobs doing the poll-tested stuff that is designed specifically to appeal to those giggling girls.
I can imagine some would (sometimes you discover you like something by looking for something completely different) - but in general I fear this statement is sad, but true. It's an entirely different target audience. :/
Lt. Commander
# 390
11-29-2010, 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valias
Interestingly, other games managed this just fine. I guess it's just easier to do - but is it the only way? Hell no. :p

I'd have said "this is right after Nemesis", but that's just me. But even if you set it earlier than that you can avoid that corruption by simply being careful. Heck, the shows themselves didn't manage to not corrupt their own setting. >_>

I can imagine some would (sometimes you discover you like something by looking for something completely different) - but in general I fear this statement is sad, but true. It's an entirely different target audience. :/
Yeah. They could have even have just set the game in 2387; they year Hobus goes boom and Spock disappears. Cryptic made a choice to start the war and set the game 30 years into the future. They didn't have to do that.