Lt. Commander
# 31
11-26-2010, 07:51 AM
i believe there is a place for both the NX and an NX retrofit in Star Trek. For evidence, i submit current car culture as an argument for them.

There are hundreds if not thousands of car enthusiats who own, restore, maintain, and display cars of eras gone by. Granted these cars are rare and treated like works of art. i believe that human culture would continue this trend into the future and apply them to star ships. So seeing the occassional NX or Connie isn't exactly out of place.

in recent years, modern car engineers have developed modern versions of the classics. Look at the popularity of the Mustang, the Camero, the reemergence of the GTO and the Charger to name a few of the most popular. These cars appeal to people's sense of nostalgia for classics. However, these modern cars are not entirely the same cars their fathers drove. they have been redesigned to include all of the technology of modern cars, while holding on to the essence of what made these cars classic. The same can be applied to starships.

Not everyone needs them, but these ships do have an important role in the Star Trek universe. They are meaningful to the people that fly them, that want to look at them, that believe that there is beauty and something worthwhile in keeping the classics a part of modern society.
Lt. Commander
# 32
11-26-2010, 08:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by soriedem View Post
i believe there is a place for both the NX and an NX retrofit in Star Trek. For evidence, i submit current car culture as an argument for them.

There are hundreds if not thousands of car enthusiats who own, restore, maintain, and display cars of eras gone by. Granted these cars are rare and treated like works of art. i believe that human culture would continue this trend into the future and apply them to star ships. So seeing the occassional NX or Connie isn't exactly out of place.
Yeah but those are cars for collectors. Starfleet is a military/scientific organization. You don't hear of any modern day military or scientific organizations using technology from over 200 years ago for nostalgic reasons. And if we did hear of it we would laugh.

Just pointing out the other side of the fence.
Lt. Commander
# 33
11-26-2010, 08:15 AM
Well the U.S.S Victory is still considered a comissioned Naval Ship.

But she only serves as HQ for the Port Admiral in Portsmouth. :p
Lt. Commander
# 34
11-26-2010, 08:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexraptor View Post
Well the U.S.S Victory is still considered a comissioned Naval Ship.

But she only serves as HQ for the Port Admiral in Portsmouth. :p
USS Victory???

HMS Victory.
Lt. Commander
# 35
11-26-2010, 08:17 AM
This argument always comes down to the same basic idea: I want the ship I like to be the best in the game even if it's not the best in canon. That idea doesn't set well with a lot of people; the people who like the idea that Picard got the Galaxy after he lost the Stargazer rather then Starfleet just making a Retrofit Constellation that was as powerful as a Galaxy.

I sit somewhere in the middle. I love Star Trek for its canon, but I do geek-out when I get to fly my TOS Constitution or NX. Still, as a canon fan, I wouldn't want to still be flying upgraded versions of those ships at T5; and I don't believe anyone would really like to see a TV episode or movie where Decker showed up in a TOS Constitution (the Defiant) and beat the crap out of Picard in his Sovereign; though I think the fans loved the fact that the Defiant was so much more powerful then the NX in the Enterprise MU episodes.
Lt. Commander
# 36
11-26-2010, 08:18 AM
I think he means the U.S.S. Constitution.
Lt. Commander
# 37
11-26-2010, 08:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyllus View Post
Well, considering the HMS Victory is moored in Portsmouth [England!] I'd probably guess he didn't.
Lt. Commander
# 38
11-26-2010, 08:20 AM
Quote:
No, he probably ment to type HMS, it just came out USS. The HMS is docked at Portsmouth.
Lt. Commander
# 39
11-26-2010, 08:21 AM
As far as the whole NX canon discusion... Reality gets thrown out the door the first time I slaughter a Dreadnought with a Miranda class. A ship that's damned near as old as the NX. (so it really doesn't matter to me.)
Lt. Commander
# 40
11-26-2010, 08:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grox View Post
Yeah but those are cars for collectors. Starfleet is a military/scientific organization. You don't hear of any modern day military or scientific organizations using technology from over 200 years ago for nostalgic reasons. And if we did hear of it we would laugh.

Just pointing out the other side of the fence.
In a fight for survival any society or military would use whatever resources they have available. Look at the Bajoran occupation or even the Maquis. They used whatever technology they had available, even if it was several hundred years old. it didn't matter as long as it could be used to their advantage. When encountering a perceived weaker opponent, people will often let their guard down, creating an oppotunity. You may argue that they are terrorist organizations, but I say freedom fighters will do whatever it takes with whatever resources they can get their hands on. The federation is at war with what seems like the entire galaxy. They have no choice but to use every resource they have available. Look at the ensign level tutorials. under normal circumstance, Starfleet never would have given a ship to an ensign. The game is set in an extraordinary time, when extraordinary measures are required. Ships like the NX would be pulled out of mothballs, fitted with the latest technologies, or be the inspiration to new designs that utilize the essence of what those classic ships were, all with the hope of creating an advantage that they can leverage.