Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 401
11-29-2010, 04:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardassianNinja View Post
This is the thing that people are in denial about. It's not the 22nd century NX. I don't understand the stubbornness against this.
Perhaps because it looks exactly like the 22nd century NX. And no weak excuse will change that it is perceived for what it is.

If it looks like a duck ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotD
There was nothing wrong with the franchise. The problem was almost totally due to bad writing and bad acting.
I think the same, although I disagree about the acting. The actors were good, they even had good roles, it's just that (with, sadly, too few exceptions) the scripts were so lousy that they weren't able to shine. When even your actors start commenting about how badly it sucked, there's something seriously wrong.

Anyhow: Maybe Star Trek could actually use a break instead of putting the franchise on artificial life support? Putting people on withdrawal will generate far more interest in a franchise than oversatuating them with cheap mass-produced episodes in the hopes that the label will be enough to get people's attention. Star Wars survived 30 years without the need to reinvent itself until Zahn triggered the revival. Maybe Star Trek could use a hibernation period, too. Time spent with critical reflection and straightening out past mistakes. Because in the end, Quality > Quantity.

It's a natural lifecycle of cinema extending to all genres. The public can only take so many pirate movies, then comes a time when not a single one is produced due to declining interest or the need of every pirate movie to be better than the others. People's expectations rise the more you put out, even within the same franchise.

The way I see it, JJ's movie only delays the inevitable by a few years - with the added drawback of insulting half the fandom.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 402
11-29-2010, 05:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valias
Perhaps because it looks exactly like the 22nd century NX. And no weak excuse will change that it is perceived for what it is.

If it looks like a duck ...
I have difficulty believing that Starfleet would make an exact replica of a 22nd century NX in the first place. Then, given its size, I would expect it to be extremely weak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valias
Anyhow: Maybe Star Trek could actually use a break instead of putting the franchise on artificial life support? I
I agree. People often say "well wouldn't you rather have something keeping Star Trek alive?" My response is generally, "If it has to look like that movie, then I would accept that its time has passed and let it rest in peace."
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 403
11-29-2010, 06:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardassianNinja View Post
This is the thing that people are in denial about. It's not the 22nd century NX. I don't understand the stubbornness against this.
Because its just an excuse to sell crap in the C-Store and not any kind of logical, thought out reason.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 404
11-29-2010, 06:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hravik
Because its just an excuse to sell crap in the C-Store and not any kind of logical, thought out reason.
To be honest STO really just focuses on the C-Store....just look between launch and now and tell me one doesn't see a trend :p

C-Store Online : Bringing you the perfect MMO, one Cryptic point at a time!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 405
11-29-2010, 06:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenor-Nyiad View Post
To be honest STO really just focuses on the C-Store....just look between launch and now and tell me one doesn't see a trend :p

C-Store Online : Bringing you the perfect MMO, one Cryptic point at a time!
Well you gotta do something to get money if the retailers have to sell your game for $5 just to get people to buy it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 406
11-29-2010, 06:29 PM
Quote:
To be honest STO really just focuses on the C-Store....just look between launch and now and tell me one doesn't see a trend :p

C-Store Online : Bringing you the perfect MMO, one Cryptic point at a time!
Your right. That difficulty slider system, new Memory Alpha system, new weekly missions, 3 new zones, Klingon missions, Klingon Cluster missions, Diplomacy System, new Sector Space, Mission Replay, level expansion to 51, and everything else added, and still being added, to the game over the last 9 months has all been about the C-Store.

I can certainly see how ship skins, race skins, ship bridges, and vanity pets/items have really outclassed everything else we've gotten since launch.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 407
11-29-2010, 06:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
Your right. That difficulty slider system, new Memory Alpha system, new weekly missions, 3 new zones, Klingon missions, Klingon Cluster missions, Diplomacy System, new Sector Space, Mission Replay, level expansion to 51, and everything else added, and still being added, to the game over the last 9 months has all been about the C-Store.

I can certainly see how ship skins, race skins, ship bridges, and vanity pets/items have really outclassed everything else we've gotten since launch.
It doesn't help that most of your first list is thoroughly mediocre, something that should have been in since launch, and/or was just plain poorly executed. That's one of the reasons people feel so much emphasis is on the C-store.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 408
11-29-2010, 06:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LotD
There was nothing wrong with the franchise. The problem was almost totally due to bad writing and bad acting. They were just cranking the stuff out with no thought like it was some kind of assembly line of Star Trek elements. That's why Voyager fell apart, and Enterprise was nearly unwatchable. Nemesis needed at least two more re-writes before it should've been on the screen.

We were saturated with bad Star Trek, and people just stopped putting up with it. The new movie is just the same, only it's new and shiny and uses the sheer nostalgia factor of seeing "Captain Kirk" again to cover its failings.

The bottom line though, is that the people who liked Star Trek still watched Star Trek. The people who don't like Star Trek are still not going to tune in for Star Trek. They might tune in for JJ's Generic SciFi Action Movie #5-The Sequel, but that's not Star Trek coming back to life anymore than Enterprise getting renewed each year was.

Now maybe they'll prove me wrong, and the next movie will be every bit the Star Trek movie as any of the best ones, but I seriously doubt it.
i'm sorry, but it seems there was a misunderstanding. i was merely talking about the fact that outside of books and video games, there was no new, current star trek media on television or on the big screen. enterprise imo was fantastic in season 4, but voyager's later seasons (imo) and the poor start enterprise had, plus some bad choices like you said, contributed to the state that we were in before abrams came along. i don't like it any more than you do, but i see what abrams did as being necessary to keep star trek going after the disasters of recent years.

i agree that we were saturated with bad trek.

on your last point, though, there is a middle ground. people who hate star trek won't watch star trek just because abrams made a movie about it. there are people who never bothered with star trek, though, and for whatever reason watched the movie and actually started showing some interest in it. i'm not saying it's huge numbers, but every little helps.

i do think you are being a bit harsh on the movie, but that's personal preference and is neither here nor there.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 409
11-29-2010, 06:39 PM
Quote:
It doesn't help that most of your first list is thoroughly mediocre, something that should have been in since launch, and/or was just plain poorly executed. That's one of the reasons people feel so much emphasis is on the C-store.
Mediocre is subjective. Most of the people I know enjoy the Difficulty Slider, weekly missions, new zones, and so on. If you didn't enjoy any of that, well honestly, that doesn't suprise me at all.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 410
11-29-2010, 06:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LotD
I guess everyone forgot that none of us is Captain Kirk and so the "Captain Kirk could solo Picard" argument really has no bearing on this discussion.
The point of a game like this is for4 each of us to be a Captain Kirk, not a Captain Stiles or some nameless background captain.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:11 AM.