Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
I agree with you. Let's look at the short list of upcoming ships:

Oberth T1 (science starter)
Ambassador T4 variant
Vesta, probably T3/T5
Vulcan D'Kyr, NX era
Andorian, don't know time period but probably NX era design

The Vesta is the only modern design forthcoming, and in canon it would be nearly 30 years old by the STO timeline.

The game really needs to get back to its roots and focus more on the 25th century it's supposed to be about, IMO.
The Vulcan ship is a new design *based* on the D'kyr, like the Nebula is based on the Miranda or the Sovereign on the Constitution. I imagine it'll be the same of the Andorian-designed Starfleet ship.
Lt. Commander
# 62
11-26-2010, 10:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grox View Post
Yeah, I mean I think introducing these ships a t1 ships was a nice way to appease everyone.
Except those who want to actually use the ship for more than the time you spend at T1. If I could use the ship on my VA character, I'd have bought it. Unfortunately not EVERYONE agrees making it a T1 ship was the best thing to do.

If we can have ice grenades in the game whose sole purpose is to do absolutely nothing more than harass and annoy people in social zones, then we can have T5 Connie's beating the crap out of T5 Sovereigns in PVP. There's plenty of things in the game that "make no sense" but are there because they add entertainment value to the game.

And as far as the "ship purists" are concerned, all the arguments against a T5 Connie matching up against current T5 vessels need to also be applied to the Klingon ships in this game, here's a quote from Memory Alpha...

Quote:
The Bird-of-Prey was considered to be "no match" for the Federation's Galaxy-class during the latter 24th century; the Bird-of-Prey was also significantly inferior to the Federation's Defiant-class as well. (TNG: "A Matter Of Honor"; Star Trek Generations; DS9: "The Way of the Warrior")
By a purists logic I should be able to take a T4 Galaxy Class ship or a T4 Defiant and easily defeat a Bird of Prey as they are technically "no match" for either of those class of ships per what's known in the Star Trek universe. Should we also start a campaign to balance FVK PVP based on what is seen in the different Star Trek episodes? What's the difference between losing to an "old outdated" federation vessel or a klingon ship that is technically "no match" for specific Fed ships?

I say they need to put those ships in the C-Store, make them on-par with existing T5 ships. I'm positive the money earned from the sale of a decent T5 Connie will more than make up for any rage-quitting purists.

If the only argument against them in the game is "it doesn't make sense" then they better remove everything out of the game that "doesn't make sense" and they can start with those stupid ice grenades before moving right into balancing the ships based on what's seen in the episodes.

If EVERYTHING in this game has to "make sense" I think the game will quickly deteriorate it something that's not really fun for anyone.
Lt. Commander
# 63
11-26-2010, 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walshicus
The Vulcan ship is a new design *based* on the D'kyr, like the Nebula is based on the Miranda or the Sovereign on the Constitution. I imagine it'll be the same of the Andorian-designed Starfleet ship.
im sorry? the nebula isnt based on the miranda :S
Lt. Commander
# 64
11-26-2010, 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CedricO
im sorry? the nebula isnt based on the miranda :S
Yes, it is?
Lt. Commander
# 65
11-26-2010, 10:48 AM
For crying out loud, does nobody listen?

You CAN take a T1 ship all the way up to VA1, it might not be easy but it definitely is possible.
Lt. Commander
# 66
11-26-2010, 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexraptor View Post
For crying out loud, does nobody listen?

You CAN take a T1 ship all the way up to VA1, it might not be easy but it definitely is possible.
And you can also use a runabout to PVP in too... it's not about being POSSIBLE it's about being PRACTICAL.

Yay for you that you have no issue with using a T1 ship at VA level but thankfully we're not all you.
Lt. Commander
# 67
11-26-2010, 11:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walshicus
What? The Neb is based on the Galaxy; and the D'Kyr is clearly another "Replica" ship design, which I assume the Andorian ship will be as well. We have seen other modern Vulcan ships in canon. We do know that Vulcans have evolved past the D'Kyr.
Lt. Commander
# 68
11-26-2010, 11:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueheart
And you can also use a runabout to PVP in too... it's not about being POSSIBLE it's about being PRACTICAL.

Yay for you that you have no issue with using a T1 ship at VA level but thankfully we're not all you.
And why should it be practical? Hmmm?
Lt. Commander
# 69
11-26-2010, 11:06 AM
Quote:

I have no problem with the fact that Picard flew the Stargazer for 22 years knowing it was outdated. I would have a problem with the fact that he defeated the Yamato in 1 in TNG. I'm sure you would too.
Lt. Commander
# 70
11-26-2010, 11:07 AM
Quote:
Except those who want to actually use the ship for more than the time you spend at T1. If I could use the ship on my VA character, I'd have bought it. Unfortunately not EVERYONE agrees making it a T1 ship was the best thing to do.

If we can have ice grenades in the game whose sole purpose is to do absolutely nothing more than harass and annoy people in social zones, then we can have T5 Connie's beating the crap out of T5 Sovereigns in PVP. There's plenty of things in the game that "make no sense" but are there because they add entertainment value to the game.

And as far as the "ship purists" are concerned, all the arguments against a T5 Connie matching up against current T5 vessels need to also be applied to the Klingon ships in this game, here's a quote from Memory Alpha...

By a purists logic I should be able to take a T4 Galaxy Class ship or a T4 Defiant and easily defeat a Bird of Prey as they are technically "no match" for either of those class of ships per what's known in the Star Trek universe. Should we also start a campaign to balance FVK PVP based on what is seen in the different Star Trek episodes? What's the difference between losing to an "old outdated" federation vessel or a klingon ship that is technically "no match" for specific Fed ships?

I say they need to put those ships in the C-Store, make them on-par with existing T5 ships. I'm positive the money earned from the sale of a decent T5 Connie will more than make up for any rage-quitting purists.

If the only argument against them in the game is "it doesn't make sense" then they better remove everything out of the game that "doesn't make sense" and they can start with those stupid ice grenades before moving right into balancing the ships based on what's seen in the episodes.

If EVERYTHING in this game has to "make sense" I think the game will quickly deteriorate it something that's not really fun for anyone.
Yes, "canon" went out the airlock as soon as I started destroying Borg cubes with a Miranda in the tutorial.