Lt. Commander
# 1 Star Trek Card Game
11-26-2010, 11:44 AM
This game is awesome. I love it. But considering the options for this game to add are endless, I have to add another suggestion, that would keep everyone comming back for even more.

One thing I find missing, is some games to play while at star dock, when you feel like taking it easy.
Some times I am waiting for pvp at start dock, and I would just like to play a game that requires thinking.

Star trek had a collectible card game before, I never played it, but it existed. They should introduce a collectable card game here. I have played many other card games, and they are so much fun to play. Star Wars galaxies has there card game, it is cool, but it could be better, they had a real card game I collected many years ago, and it was awesome, with planet cards and everything.

If STO, can introduce a card game, I will buy Life Membership for sure, even knowing I will probably play this game for life anyway.
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-26-2010, 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaOm View Post
This game is awesome. I love it. But considering the options for this game to add are endless, I have to add another suggestion, that would keep everyone comming back for even more.

One thing I find missing, is some games to play while at star dock, when you feel like taking it easy.
Some times I am waiting for pvp at start dock, and I would just like to play a game that requires thinking.

Star trek had a collectible card game before, I never played it, but it existed. They should introduce a collectable card game here. I have played many other card games, and they are so much fun to play. Star Wars galaxies has there card game, it is cool, but it could be better, they had a real card game I collected many years ago, and it was awesome, with planet cards and everything.

If STO, can introduce a card game, I will buy Life Membership for sure, even knowing I will probably play this game for life anyway.
Decipher did have an online version, but it went to moot after their licence expired. I agree that aspects of it could be incorperated into the social areas.
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-27-2010, 09:57 AM
It would be a great asset to this game to get a card game. They could start you off with a booster pack a month and you can by more at the cstore, and wouldnt it be fun to scan an anomaly to find a rare Captain Kirk Card. Players could trade them and sell then for C coins.
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-27-2010, 12:44 PM
They're going to be instituting Poker to the game, to get your card game fix. Other than that, there's always Dabo. It's a great passtime while waiting for PvP to proc.

On a side note, I have played the Star Trek CCG since it was first introduced in 1994. Anyone else play or used to play?
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-27-2010, 12:59 PM
I see what a CCG has done for SOE and that idea in relation to STO makes my stomach turn. If you think the c store is bad, just think how it would get if there were in game items of varying rarity in a STO DCCG. It would **** off more people than you could possibly imagine! It would be a sure fire way to kill the STO community and then STO itself.
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-27-2010, 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayenn
I see what a CCG has done for SOE and that idea in relation to STO makes my stomach turn. If you think the c store is bad, just think how it would get if there were in game items of varying rarity in a STO DCCG. It would **** off more people than you could possibly imagine! It would be a sure fire way to kill the STO community and then STO itself.
How can you kill the game by adding something optional to it. You do not have to play the card game. It is separate from the game and doesn't effect your ship or character at all.
I do not know if you ever played card games, like Star wars cards and such, they are very much fun, and would be good to pass the time.
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-27-2010, 04:09 PM
Quote:
How can you kill the game by adding something optional to it. You do not have to play the card game. It is separate from the game and doesn't effect your ship or character at all.
I do not know if you ever played card games, like Star wars cards and such, they are very much fun, and would be good to pass the time.
Through the inevitable monitization of it. Look at the SOE card games and see what they did. Research is your friend, especially when it is recommended.
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-27-2010, 04:38 PM
Quote:
I was present for SOE's card-game-athon, there's a way to do it right, but no company who loves money will do it. The problem SOE created is when the DCG starters and boosters offered in-game rewards or items. Often these items were fairly game-breaking insomuch as they either offered ridiculous boosts in PvP, PvE or items that were digitally superior to anything else in-game.

For example - The Excelsior ship in this game. Instead of being able to purchase it outright, imagine having to plunk down $2.99 per pack of digital cards just for a 1/50 CHANCE to get the Excelsior. The temptation is WAY too much for anyone like SOE or even Cryptic to ignore, let alone stay away from.

I vote NO to a DCCG because I'm confident that the C-Store will be transferred to random chances in digital card packs.

If you think there's crying about the C-Store now, wait til you hear the cries from pour souls who dropped $100 real life dollars and STILL didn't get their Excelsior/Nebula/Borg officer what-have-you.

Otherwise, if it's just a card game, I don't mind - I just happen to know better.
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-27-2010, 06:44 PM
I can understand that if you get real game items in the booster packs, that could lead to disaster.
All I am saying is that keep the card game separate. you may find cards in the star trek universe, but you cant get in-game items from the cards. If getting in-game items in the cards can destroy a MMORPG then I am sure if cryptic put the card game in they wouldnt put any in-game items in the cards.
It would just be a more mental stimulating game, then Poker, or Dabo. (BORing)
Those collectable card games, are really fun to play and I would love to play the star trek collectable card game in this game, I would have the best of both worlds, no reason to play anythings else.
Lt. Commander
# 10
11-27-2010, 06:56 PM
I like the idea but adding to the game itself would be a nightmare, there'd be a bizillion cards that would create a huge patch of 25 gigabytes or something, and just imagine if your Kirk card lost against a Neelix card because of a chance rolll of food poisoning in the hasparat soufflé, imagine how devastated people would be to find they could no longer play STO because the game got too big because of a silly card game, I mean I enjoyed Chaotic but that was the whole game not just a HUGE but optional mini-game