Lt. Commander
# 1 I liked to say Thank you..
11-26-2010, 01:39 PM
You probably do not read it much in the threads in the forum, but I would like to take the time to say thank you to the Star Trek Online development team.

I know it is probably hard to develop for a product that so many people feel passionate about. No matter how hard you work on a idea, someone will hate it.

I personally love everything about what has been in the game since February 2, 2010.

I personally did not play the beta of the game because I think beta ruins most games for some people. Probably more true for people under 25 years of age with underdeveloped frontal lobes in their brain. I started playing the game the night before it went live. I purchased the basic game.

The game was wonderful. For me it was a game I have been waiting some 30 years to play. I was excited because Cryptic Studios was developing it. I was already quite familiar with the development of Star Trek Online since about 2005. I had saw some photos or images of the game in development. I do not know why the original company went bankrupt. I speculate that they try to make the perfect game.

MMORPG's are never complete. This is what makes them wonderful to play. This is my tenth or twelfth MMORPG. Of those, four or five of them had been from day one launch day. I had been playing Champions Online, and City of Heroes.

Two weeks after I purchased the basic game, I went and purchased the deluxe game. There is a big difference in graphics from the basic to deluxe game. In April, I purchased the lifetime subscription.

I liked all the major updates to the game. It is hard to believe the game is still with in its first nine months of development. Usually you would not see the level of updates this game has had in that short time. Most games I played, you will get two mini updates in February and November. Then one major one in July.

However, the major updates usually come in two year cycles.

I am very excited about the Foundry and hope to play and test it soon. Season 3 patch looks very good from what I have tested on Tribble. I loved all the Weekly Episodes.

I always try to keep my threads with some constructive purpose. I feel and think it is important to give gratitude to the people who put a significant amount of time into the development of the game. Thank you.
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-26-2010, 05:01 PM
On a related note, perhaps many of us, myself included owe an apology to Cryptic. While I was on the beta, and played for my 30 day period after live, I couldn't shake the impression that Cryptic was just trying to make a quick buck, soil the Trek IP, and move on to their next victim (Neverwinter). I took a long time off, but since there are no real options for space MMOs (EVE is a corporate simulation disguised as a space game) I begrudgingly came back, and much to my surprise, they've been hard at work, trying to rectify the issues. It's nice to see, and I can feel like my continued support of STO wont end in frustrated tears, that its worth investing time into this community. It's not perfect, and neither is Cryptic, but it's really getting there, and that matters.
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-26-2010, 05:05 PM
Yes, big kudos for the way the game is going. I hope it continues in this direction.

Still lots to do though.

*ha-whip-crack*

Lt. Commander
# 4 Absolutely! Thanks!
11-26-2010, 05:28 PM
I agree, I'm a new gamer and dont play anything but STO and all I can say is that there are a lot of "experts' out there somewhere and a lot of whines, I almost started a thread called "Want Some Cheese with that Whine" but I digress. As a private consultant, there comes a time when you can tell a client you no longer care for their business,,,, and I'll bet the Devs feel like that some time.

Didn't someone once say "You can please some of the people some of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time"???
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-26-2010, 06:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannamoth
Didn't someone once say "You can please some of the people some of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time"???
John F. Kennedy, I believe.
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-26-2010, 08:15 PM
Actually, I think it is a paraphrased quote from Abraham Lincoln (although Kennedy may've used it as well). At least, that's what I learned from a quick Google search.

I agree that the game has improved by leaps and bounds since beta and release. I was there for the "Captain in Space" and the "Ship on the Ground" (beta), and for the long queues to just log in to the game, only to crash 20 minutes later. You could imagine all of the venom spewed on the forum during that time with "expert" gamers (who all happened to be computer programers, graphic designers, president's of small republics what have you) stating that STO was an "epic fail" and they would laugh at all of us LTSers who dropped $240 (at that time) for a pre-release lifetime sub. Of course, a lot of this dropped of when OB ended and you needed a subscription to post on the forums, but a lot of venom still remained.

I was then and still am happy that I purchased my LTS. Improvements such as the sector space (which is awesome) and the Foundry will continue to add to my enjoyment.
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-30-2010, 03:52 AM
Agreed, I'd like to say thank you as well. When I first started playing I was enthralled by the whole "I'm actually playing a ST MMO" thing. But after a lil while the "new game" wow factor wore off, and I agreed with the game reviewers...a "eh" kinda game, with SOMETHING about it that keeps me playing. Glad I kept playing. Thank you for not giving up, going cheap, and ignoring your players. I have totally enjoyed the updates, and the weeklys, and am looking forward to the foundery.....GREAT JOB! . Keep up the good work, and please don't forget...even if our voices aren't the loudest, you are appreciated.
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-30-2010, 06:31 AM
Yes, thanks for all that you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varlo
John F. Kennedy, I believe.
that was honest Abe, I thought.
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-30-2010, 07:05 AM
I am pretty happy with the development so far, too. Sure, there are some things I would like to go faster and some stuff I'd prioritize differently, but my goal is to make myself only happy, and my imaginary Cryptic has infinite resources at its disposal.
Lt. Commander
# 10
11-30-2010, 11:11 AM
They had me sold at you get to captain your own ship and form your own crew.