Lt. Commander
# 11 Hmmm...
11-27-2010, 08:39 PM
As someone who has been an AFK PvP'er I can think of several reasons why people validly go AFK suddenly.

This is something that can't be avoided! I know at least one person in my fleet whos an on call paramedic as one simple example.

I think, what the real problem comes down to is inconsiderate PvP'ers. Personally, like I've stated in forums before, if the target I'm shooting stops firing and doesn't move I stop attacking (unless they stopped like an instant before I was about to kill them). I know how annoying it is to be d/c and come back to a respawn box (or to be managing fleet chatter and have someone run up and shoot the hell out of you without you resisting).

The secondary problem is, many people seem to like to "pick" on the weaker players in the PvP to get the victory (sadly just like alot of people in real life. They probably feel all is fair in war, and yes, I would avoid playing with such people).

So, completely don't agree in punishing AFK PvP'ers. I DO think that during a match there should be a facility to "tag" a member of your own side as being "afk" and if all the side tags a player as AFK then that player should be "disabled" in the match and "measures" should be taken to re-balance (for example prehaps all the apposing team should be given a minor handycap to make the match even again).

I also like this idea:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikoy
There should be a system where if your keyboard goes afk then you are auto-flagged as AFK where you need to do some DMG to Remove this flag. As well, allow players to flag someone as AFK if all they are doing is flying around (helps prevent ppl who use macros thAt prevent afk'ing).
Very well thought out Pikoy =).
Lt. Commander
# 12
11-27-2010, 09:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star*Dagger
Greetings,This should also be added for people who leave a PvP arena
Well, AFK PvPers is easy enough to detect, and there really isn't a good rational for doing it. For people who leave PvP arenas, there are plenty of good reasons, such as the queue getting messed up and putting in horribly different numbers of people in each side, or a CnH that goes on for an hour, or a team of five BoPs that waits 10 minutes for all of their cooldowns to subside before quickly popping one target, running away, and taking another ten minutes to go in again. Nobody wants to stay in a match against a lame team like that which just waste's everyones time instead of learning to play. You just never know what the situation is for each person who leaves a match. For AFKers there's only one reason they would be doing that.
Lt. Commander
# 13
11-27-2010, 09:50 PM
I personally do not think there is any problem with doing that. PvP is not a lot of peoples cup of tea and I because they have a "daily" people will grind it. You need to get over the fact that not everyone wants to PvP and stop trying to punish people for making the choice not to get involved in a rediculous display of machoism. I do not believe Cryptic can do anything because it is not breaking the rules, show me in any of Cryptic's game rules where it says "In PvP, you must be part of a team and you MUST fight". Because I believe they do not say that and therefore you do not have the right to "Judge" other players on the basis of your own elitism. Its discriminatory.

You want to end AFK players in PvP. One solution only. GET RID OF THE DAILY!
Lt. Commander
# 14
11-27-2010, 10:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraiven View Post
Seriously, I am sick of wasting my time trying to PvP when there are people who will come in the PvP Arena, refuse an invite to the team, then run, gun, get himself killed, then just sit there and stay dead while my team struggles to have a fair PvP game. As soon as I see one of these AFKPVPers hit the scene, I just want to exit the map right then and there. But if I do that, I feel like it would be a jerk thing to do, so I stay and take my punishment.

We need to come up with some way of either A: Preventing this or B: Punishing those who do this. This has been talked about a bit on the PvP forums, but I honestly do not feel like this is getting the attention it deserves. I personally feel (and I say personally because I speak for nobody but myself here) like it is about time for a Dev to chime in and talk about this.

Not trying to sound rude if I am coming off that way, just aggravated.
Then first you need to address the reason why people who clearly hate PVP might be there in the first place. I've made three KDF characters, despite my utter dislike of PVP. On all three, I've entered exactly one PVP match, where I've done exactly the thing that annoys you so much. Why? Because if I don't complete at least one PVP match, win or lose, then the blasted Arena Battlemaster will pop up every single time I visit Quo'nos and ask me "Would you like to learn about Arenas?" Or I have to take the mission and leave it unfinished in my mission list, forever. So I join one PVP map, with every intention of doing as little PVP as possible, just to make him shut up. You get the Battlemaster fixed so that he quits harrassing me, and I'll happily stay out of PVP forever. As is, now that I've gotten three KDF characters past him, it's highly unlikely I'll ever make another KDF *unless* he's changed. (As for why I have three in the first place, I wanted to play around with the various ships and KDF-only crew races, and he didn't do that when I originally made them. I was perfectly willing to put up with what passes for KDF PVE.)

There are two other reasons I can think of that people might do this. For KDF, there is, or was, a mission that rewarded you a large amount of XP for being on the losing side in a large number of PVP fights. I *think* the intent was to make it less aggravating for people to lose - "Well, at least I'm making progress towards that other mission, even if I didn't win." Realistically though, it means that some people can make progress towards a large payout with no effort at all - get sucked into a PVP match, and just wiggle the mouse once in a while to keep from getting logged out.

The second reason is that they really are AKF, or are otherwise busy. I don't PVP, so I don't know whether you can get pulled into a map without clicking YES or otherwise proving that a person is sitting at the keyboard and paying attention. If this is what's going on, then a simple change would be that everyone in the queue only gets pulled in if they actively confirm that they are ready to join a PVP match. It still won't help if someone is doing it deliberately (me vs the Battlemaster, or anyone getting the Biggest Loser mission) but it would at least eliminate people who are actually AFK.
Lt. Commander
# 15
11-27-2010, 11:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraiven View Post
Yes it does.

No it would not be easier, because then they could still just sit there and make themselves easy targets for the other team.
Well then I'm not sure what you want.

If you kick them, you're down x players until the round ends.
If you let them sit unspawned you're down x players until the round ends.
If you force them to spawn you're down x players until the round ends.

In the end, the only way to fix it is to allow people to enter AFTER the round starts.
Lt. Commander
# 16
11-27-2010, 11:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDave View Post
Well then I'm not sure what you want.

If you kick them, you're down x players until the round ends.
If you let them sit unspawned you're down x players until the round ends.
If you force them to spawn you're down x players until the round ends.

In the end, the only way to fix it is to allow people to enter AFTER the round starts.
That sounds like a plan
Lt. Commander
# 17 Can you explain that?
11-27-2010, 11:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleybird View Post
or a team of five BoPs that waits 10 minutes for all of their cooldowns to subside before quickly popping one target, running away, and taking another ten minutes to go in again
Maybe I'm misunderstanding your meaning but that really does not sound like a good reason to leave an instance (or go afk).

Why not find the players when they are cooling down and don't give them the chance to re-charge?

I'm wondering if theres some situation I've not encountered like maybe a team with all NPC's that can't be beat or something? (don't recall ever seeing a NPC in a PvP match though).
Lt. Commander
# 18
11-27-2010, 11:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondCelestalis View Post
I personally do not think there is any problem with doing that. PvP is not a lot of peoples cup of tea and I because they have a "daily" people will grind it. You need to get over the fact that not everyone wants to PvP and stop trying to punish people for making the choice not to get involved in a rediculous display of machoism. I do not believe Cryptic can do anything because it is not breaking the rules, show me in any of Cryptic's game rules where it says "In PvP, you must be part of a team and you MUST fight". Because I believe they do not say that and therefore you do not have the right to "Judge" other players on the basis of your own elitism. Its discriminatory.

You want to end AFK players in PvP. One solution only. GET RID OF THE DAILY!
Seems very selfish.

There are people who enjoy combat and competition with other players, by joining a match and not helping your bringing down their enjoyment of the game. Your telling people to get over wanting reliable teammates in a team based game mode...

There are so many ways to acquire emblems now through PvE that I don't even get why you would go through the trouble of queuing up and waiting for a match to start, only to sit and do nothing for 10 minutes.
Lt. Commander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowself
Then first you need to address the reason why people who clearly hate PVP might be there in the first place.
Thats a very good point.

There has been a definite lean towards forcing players to PvP because there are just not enough people playing PvP and like any nieve governing body Cryptic seem to think the solution is to force or incentivise people (as appose to the complexity of making the activity itself more desirable).

At the end of the day people who play PvP for incentives and not for the game play of PvP are essencially being forced to play PvP against their choice (because its the incentive they want so they will do as little as they can of what they dislike to obtain it).

I don't know what the right solution is, but completely agree with Shadowselfs point.
Lt. Commander
# 20
11-28-2010, 03:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggyDude
I don't know what the right solution is, but completely agree with Shadowselfs point.
Stop bribing people to play a poorly implemented PvP system and introduce a better (open) one?