Lt. Commander
# 11
11-28-2010, 11:36 AM
Quote:
Excelsior + Transwarp Drive?
NX-01 + Grappling Hook ?
TOS Connie + Blue Phasers ?
Galaxy-X + Phaser Lance + Cloaking Device?
3 Tribbles = PURE Buff's ?

and of course Star Trek Uniforms and Ships are in no way content of a Star Trek game.... can't be.

for me, everything that has Polygons and Textures is content.

content translates to Inhalt (ger), Inhalt translates to capacity / content / substance ...

end of line
Any Fed can get Transwarp Drive simply by doing Diplomacy missions.
The Grappling hook looks interesting but can't be improved like a Tractor Beam can with Merits.
The Blue Phasers are weaker then standard Phasers at each ship Tier.
The Phaser Lance comes at the loss of other weapons on the ship and the Cloak comes with the loss of a Console spot.
The Tribbles offer no more buff then what you can get for free from breeding Tribbles.

Something that looks different but offers no advantage is just fluff, IMO. Yes, it's content but it's fluff content.
Lt. Commander
# 12
11-28-2010, 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
So what do those of us do who bought 2 copies of this game, pre-ordered, and also did the Lifetime Account option when this game becomes free to play and everyone makes content for each other? At that point, I think its safe to say it'll be a wrap for true Trek fans. Its bad enough that as a subscription game an unbelievable amount of content has been thrown in this C-STORE monstrosity, but now people who actually supported the game from the very beginning are going to have the most epic nerf ever to be recorded on a major franchise MMO. Just sad... really feel like I wasted my money and I wish I wasnt saying that... here comes the downfall

Please let me clarify: I think its unbelievable that the greed factor could escalate to actually turn this game free to play. And you'll charge, ultimately, $50/mo. for people to keep up with content in the C-STORE right? Keep the gravy train going while the whole franchise is practically wiped out. People who pre-ordered this game or bought a lifetime account are unlikely to do business ever again after you make it free to play after selling Lifetime Accounts!! I mean what are you going to give people in-game as compensation? Their own starbase? A planet? Make them President of the Federation??

A lot of people on this forum complained, and as it turns out I think the complaints were well founded. Whoever thought greed would destroy this game. But it destroyed the franchise.. so there you go

Argh.. the only reason I'm complaining is because I love the game and I love what it could be! But not the way you're doing business. You cant trick people into buying lifetime accounts and then make it free to play!! wtf!!
wow. had a bad day?

and lifers arnt supporting the game, not any more anyway, by now your probibly getting free game time, for life.
STO isn't being prepaired for F2P, deal with it and find something else to rant about
and c-store content isn't anything rly game changing- ALL ships avalible other ways (galaxy by friend invites) tribbles have had free ways to get(preorder or test) the races are not god like in comparison to free ones. the unis are superficial. the bridges the same. even the borg bo i hear you get one for one of the STFs. so cant rly see your problem with the c-store, unless you want them but are too tight to pay. the c-store is where they get alot of money, which means they can make more content (which is good by the way). and $50 a month? you'd struggle to spend that in the c-store now with a years worth of products and end up with about 20 charicter slots, nothings massivly expensive(except the ships)
and sure people complain, it's imposible to please every1.
Lt. Commander
# 13
11-28-2010, 12:43 PM
Quote:
So what do those of us do who bought 2 copies of this game, pre-ordered, and also did the Lifetime Account option when this game becomes free to play and everyone makes content for each other? At that point, I think its safe to say it'll be a wrap for true Trek fans. Its bad enough that as a subscription game an unbelievable amount of content has been thrown in this C-STORE monstrosity, but now people who actually supported the game from the very beginning are going to have the most epic nerf ever to be recorded on a major franchise MMO. Just sad... really feel like I wasted my money and I wish I wasnt saying that... here comes the downfall

Please let me clarify: I think its unbelievable that the greed factor could escalate to actually turn this game free to play. And you'll charge, ultimately, $50/mo. for people to keep up with content in the C-STORE right? Keep the gravy train going while the whole franchise is practically wiped out. People who pre-ordered this game or bought a lifetime account are unlikely to do business ever again after you make it free to play after selling Lifetime Accounts!! I mean what are you going to give people in-game as compensation? Their own starbase? A planet? Make them President of the Federation??

A lot of people on this forum complained, and as it turns out I think the complaints were well founded. Whoever thought greed would destroy this game. But it destroyed the franchise.. so there you go

Argh.. the only reason I'm complaining is because I love the game and I love what it could be! But not the way you're doing business. You cant trick people into buying lifetime accounts and then make it free to play!! wtf!!
Stop complaining after 18 months what we paid as lifetime subscribers is equal to what those who have paid monthly for the game.

Not going to lie when I first heard that Champions was going to be F2P I was concerned that it would happen to this game too. HOWEVER unlike STO, Champions is purely Cryptics' baby with a much much smaller fan-base. Additionally Champions does not require Cryptic to pay a royalty to another company - like oh I dunno Cryptic paying CBS to utilize and profit from the Star Trek franchise.

I highly doubt STO will ever go to F2P just due to the issue of royalties alone.

So stop your whining and enjoy this game that has come the closest to pleasing this hard to please fan-base of any game in the Star Trek franchise.

For those of you that have followed by rant, I applaud you for following my insanities.

For the OP just stay where you are and the Wah-bulance will arrive shortly.
Lt. Commander
# 14
11-28-2010, 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezzer View Post
Stop complaining after 18 months what we paid as lifetime subscribers is equal to what those who have paid monthly for the game.

Not going to lie when I first heard that Champions was going to be F2P I was concerned that it would happen to this game too. HOWEVER unlike STO, Champions is purely Cryptics' baby with a much much smaller fan-base. Additionally Champions does not require Cryptic to pay a royalty to another company - like oh I dunno Cryptic paying CBS to utilize and profit from the Star Trek franchise.

I highly doubt STO will ever go to F2P just due to the issue of royalties alone.

So stop your whining and enjoy this game that has come the closest to pleasing this hard to please fan-base of any game in the Star Trek franchise.

For those of you that have followed by rant, I applaud you for following my insanities.

For the OP just stay where you are and the Wah-bulance will arrive shortly.
The almighty Sheeba says we should lynch the OP.
Lt. Commander
# 15
11-28-2010, 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezzer View Post
One small point: Turbine pays royalties for LotRO too, but it didn't stop them from going Hybrid F2P.

Edit: And based on their recent financial information making more money to boot.
Lt. Commander
# 16
11-28-2010, 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
Any Fed can get Transwarp Drive simply by doing Diplomacy missions.
The Grappling hook looks interesting but can't be improved like a Tractor Beam can with Merits.
The Blue Phasers are weaker then standard Phasers at each ship Tier.
The Phaser Lance comes at the loss of other weapons on the ship and the Cloak comes with the loss of a Console spot.
The Tribbles offer no more buff then what you can get for free from breeding Tribbles.

Something that looks different but offers no advantage is just fluff, IMO. Yes, it's content but it's fluff content.
Plus the Galaxy-X being in the C-Store is only an "optional" way of obtaining it.
Lt. Commander
# 17
11-28-2010, 07:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohort View Post
STO isn't being prepaired for F2P, deal with it and find something else to rant about
This is listed as official news for this game, on multiple sites, including Steam:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-11-03-will-star-trek-online-go-free-to-play

"Turning Champions Online free-to-play is one idea Cryptic Studios has had to spruce up its MMO portfolio. The other: user-generated content. This will appear first in Star Trek Online, so will it carry over into Champions Online?

"Ultimately, yeah," said Emmert. "Eventually we would like to do it. "

Who is this Emmert fellow? He's the head of Cryptic. Maybe you should read the article, where he also talks about how Champions is the best MMO on the market even though it has less players than WW2 Online and universally ranked 6/10.

"I'm sure people are wondering whether we'll do it with Star Trek and the question is really how well it does for Champions," explained Emmert. "Does it work or doesn't it?

"We're not sold one way or the other with Star Trek yet. If people want Star Trek to go free-to-play then get in and play Champions and help make it a great success, because that would send a strong message."

Part of fixing a problem is first accepting that it actually exists.
Lt. Commander
# 18
11-28-2010, 07:24 PM
That may be what Emmert wants, but just because he says he wants it does not mean thats how it will be.

Official word is still no F2P in sight at this time.
Lt. Commander
# 19
11-28-2010, 07:40 PM
MikeF, please bear in mind that Cryptic is owned by Atari, and a decision of such magnitude needs to be approved by alot of people...

Also, since CBS has alot to say about it and Cryptic using their copyright:ed products and even needs their approval of new ship designs and ideas.
I think they want to earn their % of it aswell...

Do you really think CBS would say, please use our material for free, we don't want any money ???
How much do you think Activision payed CBS to get the rights to develop ST:Bridge Commander ?

If CBS gonna get their share, then I can promise you that STO wont go F2P, otherwise they could simply cancel the project now...
CBS could go in and crash the party, literally, but why would they, they also making money on this.

STO isent owned by Cryptic, it owned by CBS, Star Trek is a copyright name and all Star Trek related material is trademarks of CBS.
Star Trek Online and related services are only created and operated by Cryptic Studios

Stop listening to rumours and try go get some fact instead
Does this mean anything to you ?

& 2010 CBS Studios Inc. All rights reserved. STAR TREK and related marks are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc.
Star Trek Online and related services are created and operated by Cryptic Studios, Inc. under license from CBS Studios Inc.
Lt. Commander
# 20
11-28-2010, 08:03 PM
Quote:
This is listed as official news for this game, on multiple sites, including Steam:

"Turning Champions Online free-to-play is one idea Cryptic Studios has had to spruce up its MMO portfolio. The other: user-generated content. This will appear first in Star Trek Online, so will it carry over into Champions Online?

"Ultimately, yeah," said Emmert. "Eventually we would like to do it. "
Dude, did you actually read that interview? The part you quoted above is about adding the Foundry to CO not about STO going F2P. Talk about taking a reply and completely making it about something else. You'd make a good Presidential Press Corp reporter with keen quoting like that.

As for the rest of your quotes, his point was that if CO is a huge success then they'll consider making STO a hybrid F2P MMO too, but as he says, it's not only his decision. And since CO doesn't even start going F2P until Jan it'll be 6 months to a year before they know whether it's a financial success or not in CO, and then they'll decide if it's worth it in STO or not.

The real quote:

Quote:
"We're not sold one way or the other with Star Trek yet. If people want Star Trek to go free-to-play then get in and play Champions and help make it a great success, because that would send a strong message."

"If we did Turbine's level of success that would certainly merit the discussion!"

But, he added: "There are more people than just I on that decision and I can't begin to say it would be an automatic 'Yes, we'd do it.'"