Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 21
11-29-2010, 02:45 AM
I've never quite been able to understand why people complain so much about the C-Store. It's just another revenue stream for Cryptic, Atari etc. They need money to pay people to maintain the game and develop new content. Some of that will come from repeating subs and some of it now comes from the C-Store. What's the problem? It's not like anyone *has* to buy stuff from the C-Store.

I'm a lifer so buying stuff from the C-Store is the way I continue to contribute to the development of the game. I really don't have a problem with that. None of it is stuff I *need* and it mostly costs pennies. I'd rather have the C-Store, weekly episodes and continuing new season releases than a 'purer' MMO where all content has to be grinded for in-game and the devs don't have the money to develop new content.

As for F2P, some people will always want to believe in conspiracy theories. You can't reason with unreason.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 22
11-29-2010, 03:15 AM
Activision never payed CBS a dime, because CBS did not own Star Trek back then.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 23
11-29-2010, 04:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by patroklus View Post
As for F2P, some people will always want to believe in conspiracy theories. You can't reason with unreason.
Thank you!

/thread
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 24
11-29-2010, 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
"Turning Champions Online free-to-play is one idea Cryptic Studios has had to spruce up its MMO portfolio. The other: user-generated content.
This will appear first in Star Trek Online, so will it carry over into Champions Online? "Ultimately, yeah," said Emmert. "Eventually we would like to do it."
Reading comprehension is totally dead.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 25
11-29-2010, 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by patroklus View Post
As for F2P, some people will always want to believe in conspiracy theories. You can't reason with unreason.
LOL- not true as a enough blunt force trauma will change anyone's mind or at least a good bit of memory loss so they don't remember what they where being un reasonable about. Of course local laws may frown on this technique.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 26
11-29-2010, 01:48 PM
Ferengi overlords took over the game? ........no you are thinking of the United States Congress.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 27
11-29-2010, 02:00 PM
even IF (and thats a capital if) STO goes F2P, it will be something the game will benefit from. Look at LotR - since it has gone F2P it's really having many new players and will hopefully continue for a long time. That's for the benefit of the whole community!

People who are always jealous and always want the best for them only will naturally have a problem with this. It's very very simple: will F2P change anything for your gaming experience as lifetimer? -No, it won't!

So where is the problem? That other players can have what you have...??? Following your lines of thinking it probably would be the best, if the game is for lifetimers only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
So what do those of us do who bought 2 copies of this game, pre-ordered, and also did the Lifetime Account option
LOL - how did you end up with buying twice the same game, you're Zaphod Beeblebrox with 2 Heads and four arms i guess...

It's not like somebody forced you to buy several copies or a lifetime sub, so please stop complaining about your own actions and stop blaming cryptic for your financial adventures.

Regards
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
It never ceases to amaze me how players of a game can be so quick to endorse the F2P model and try to vanquish anyone who thinks it is a bad idea. My goal is to present my concerns in order to preserve a game that could evolve into something truly fantastic. The general tendency I have noticed on this forum is to always do the following:

Defend the C-STORE, calling it “optional”, and stating how much it “enhances” the game. Yet we fail to identify that maybe something like the outfits and uniforms from an official franchise show should be earnable in the game – i.e. the Enterprise uniforms. I disapprove of the C-STORE not because *I* want all this stuff for free. I simply think that if a MMO comes out and is advertised and billed (literally and figuratively) as an epic Star Trek game, which continues the spirit of the original franchise, we should expect premium content to be earnable in a premium game. I go against the C-STORE because I do not believe the statement that “This is content that would never have been created otherwise” can seriously be taken seriously. I watch how placing these ships, items, and abilities in a virtual store, that costs money, outside the initial subscription erodes the value of the subscription and can lower the morale of people who play the game. I very much take the side of the gamer (and subscriber) in this instance, and think of the creative ways these items could have been placed in the game, to achieve, as part of the game. This extra content, therefore, makes a subscription to STO that much more valuable for the gamer.

F2P – Judging by the responses, there are a few people who think F2P will never happen so it’s a null point, those who believe it will happen and is good for the game, and then there are those who would like to see me horse, drawn, and quartered for bringing up the subject and launching a “rant” about it. To clarify my position, I do believe making the game free to play would disenfranchise those of us who have either paid a subscription, or bought the lifetime account. I bought two copies of the game so that I would have the extra pre-order bonuses, and I considered my lifetime subscription and buying two copies a long-term investment for a game that would be subscription based and rely on premium content to bring in new customers. I disagree with the idea of “F2P” because, even under a hybrid model, there is going to be more C-STORE trickery. Again, a game where you have to rely on the real economy, and not an in-game economy to achieve certain rewards, would not be the type of game I would consider in the spirit, or vein of Star Trek.

Free to play, in my opinion, is a way to make a correction for the studio and its financiers. Instead of correcting the gameplay elements which may be keeping people away from buying and playing the game, the focus, for some time, has been on adding a lot of fluff always to make an extra buck from existing subscribers. First, it started with the C-STORE, and continued to expand. Now, the entire game may as well just be made free. You don’t make a high quality game FREE because its high quality. It is made free because revenue and, more specifically, profit, must not be enough for the financiers of the game.
Therefore, this is a fundamental difference of opinion in what would be the right way to “bring in tons of new people and re-invigorate the game”. My opinion is that there should be a continued focus on game development. Instead of constantly focusing in on new episodes to keep the people who’ve reached the end game subscribed, why not work on finishing ship interiors, making them worth something. Why not expand sector space to encompass a much larger map of the galaxy? In essence, why not improve the game in areas where people saw a fundamental problem when it came out.

Instead, I would consider the C-STORE model, the foundry, and, if adopted, the free to play model, an easy out. It is an easy out for the financiers of the game because it doesn’t involve much development. Players, and not paid professionals, will be expected to create the majority of the game’s content. No doubt a lot of this content will re-use the same graphics, and much of it may not be high quality, premium content that we would expect from a Star Trek game. Then, by making the game free, people will be charged a higher premium just to play the game and access certain content. This is similar to a gas station placing water in the gasoline in order to gain additional profit. Nothing about the function of the game actually changes, except there is more reward for the financiers of the game, and less reward for the players.

So my focus is on rewarding the players for their subscription, which is a valid argument. This is in contrast to rewarding the provider of the game for providing the content. You could argue that my beliefs are customer-centric, while the direction the game is going in may be overly business-centric. In my opinion, greatly enhancing the game, whether that be by hiring as many new developers as the budget will allow, or making a promise to the community to provide premium content in the game, and not the C-STORE, is the best way for the game studio to make money and preserve the Star Trek legacy. Other schemes, like placing pay-to-play items in the C-STORE, expecting the community to pick up the slack on development, leaving areas of the game like the ship itself non-functional, and then making the entire game free seems to me like a strategy of putting a band-aid on a gunshot wound.

Throughout the history of this game, I think that the studio has been quick to adopt policies that would make it a quick buck – and I write that with the greatest sensitivity. Mostly because there are probably many people working for the company that love Star Trek, and such decisions are coming primarily from the power brokers who control the financial aspect of the game. To me this has imperiled the game greatly, and selling it short by making it free and expecting everyone to write content seems like a great idea – if I made the game with my friend 5 years ago in a college dorm room. It doesn’t seem like such a great idea for what should be a world class game. I think it also sells the developers short when they’re asked to create a way for the players to make content so that they don’t have to. To me this is a big shell game, instead of addressing the bigger issues the game has that keeps people from signing up.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 29
11-29-2010, 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Sutherland
what?

/10char
Translation:

C-Store transactions are the doom of Star Trek Online, and Star Trek in general.

Doom I tell you! DOOM!!!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 30
11-29-2010, 06:15 PM
Just out of curosity, did you come from Victor1st's site?
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:56 AM.