Lt. Commander
# 11
11-29-2010, 09:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashter
I don't see why a mission made on Tribble can't be ported over to Holodeck, this isn't a character that you artificially inflated to VA with 1000000 mill credits.

~D
They are two different servers, often with different codebases most of the time; thus porting may not be a trivial process, and although I'm not in the closed beta; what I've seen 'leaked' is that all the files are stored server side (which FYI was NOT the case with the 'City of Heroes' Mission Architect' although that was made by former Cryptic people who remained with NCSoft after Cryptic proper sold the property off); meaning you probably can't just copy some files between directories (which you could do with the CoX MA.)

But, we'll know for sure one way or the other once the Foundry tools hit their open beta phase.
Lt. Commander
# 12
11-29-2010, 09:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfPit View Post
Indeed that is true, but a robust infrastructure would simply remove offending elements from the imported mission and point you to all the issues that need to be addressed as a result of the improper import. In some cases a mapping solution could even be devised to bridge between two versions of the same structure.
Robust infrastructure is one thing, pre-beta code is another thing. The two are often "not very similar" .

[I think most MMOs experience hell just after release, precisely because no-one builds a particularly robust infrastructure during/before beta!]

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfPit View Post
I think they'd be afraid of letting us do that because this would mean that mission-files eventually would be cracked and hacked and that they cannot ever allow. Specifically when you consider CBS looking over their shoulders...
That shouldn't be the case - the mission files are likely to only to contain "your" content, along with the various NPC IDs and details of customizing them. In theory it shouldn't contain anything owned by CBS, nor directly pose any threat to CBS.

-> The concern that I can see? in theory someone could develop an emulator to run that content, which has the potential to harm cryptic's business, or provide internal STO details that cryptic do not want made public.

---

From a technical point-of-view, an encryption solution (severe overkill):
- assign each foundry author their own ssl/gpg/des-3/aes key which never leaves the cryptic server.
- upon a download request, the server generates the datafile, encrypts it with that key, signs it and sends the encrypted content to your PC.
- upon an upload request, verify the signature and decrypt it.

Unless someone happens to have the resources of the NSA available, or the keys are stolen from cryptic, that can be considered more than secure enough (if someone can crack the encryption, they would a make a fortune intercepting internet payment requests every day of the week - and as the key is specific to you, they wouldn't actually gain an awful lot).

--

In all likelihood, they'll either let us save the stuff locally, or they won't - but there would be technical solutions if they wanted to get clever!
Lt. Commander
# 13
11-29-2010, 09:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splutter View Post
...In all likelihood, they'll either let us save the stuff locally, or they won't - but there would be technical solutions if they wanted to get clever!
And that's always been the case.
Lt. Commander
# 14
11-29-2010, 10:04 AM
What is made on tribble stays on tribble