Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
I'm pretty sure that the answer is NO. Anything that we make on Tribble can be played on Tribble, but when the Foundry gets put on Holodeck, we'll have to remake them from scratch.

I would really appreciate it if a dev could clarify, because people may start putting permanent links to their temporarily available missions on the blog, wiki, etc.

And players might get angry if they spend days making the mission, only to realize that it can only be shared and played on Tribble during Open Beta.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
11-28-2010, 06:03 PM
Very good point. I too would like to hear the answer to that. If the content won't port over, I would use the Tribble Foundry to learn how to use all of the tools but save the 'good stuff' for Holodeck...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
11-29-2010, 08:31 AM
I don't see why a mission made on Tribble can't be ported over to Holodeck, this isn't a character that you artificially inflated to VA with 1000000 mill credits.

~D
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
11-29-2010, 08:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohrmanTiegan
Very good point. I too would like to hear the answer to that. If the content won't port over, I would use the Tribble Foundry to learn how to use all of the tools but save the 'good stuff' for Holodeck...
Yep, that sounds a good policy.

Unless we get told explicitly, I'd:
- assume that missions on tribble may break/get lost.
- assume that nothing from tribble can be copied to holodeck.
- assume that the foundry is going to be patched heavily, and that content may not always be compatible with the next version of the editor.

Tribble is a good time to learn how the foundry works, what it does/does not do, and maybe create an adventure or 2... but foundry, when it goes onto holodeck will become a beta, on tribble the foundry is a pre-beta - so act accordingly!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5 In my opinion...
11-29-2010, 09:03 AM
It'd seem logical that Open Beta Foundry content could be ported from Tribble to Holodeck since the server code and client patches themselves are ported from Tribble to Holodeck with every tested update. However, until we're told as much by Cryptic and especially before the Foundry is in Open Beta, it'd be safer to assume the negative.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
11-29-2010, 09:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashter
I don't see why a mission made on Tribble can't be ported over to Holodeck, this isn't a character that you artificially inflated to VA with 1000000 mill credits.

~D
Yes, but it's two separate servers, with different foundry systems. When they install the Foundry on holodeck, it will be a new system, without any existing missions, most likely.

I doubt that porting individual missions from one system to the next is possible. Still, it would really help for a dev to clarify, so that we know in advance that the tribble Foundry is there for debugging and learning the tools, not for going all out to create the missions that we've been brainstorming.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
11-29-2010, 09:11 AM
Speaking on a theoretical level, if Cryptic truly wanted to do this, they could write their client/server code in such a way that exporting a mission to an external file-structure was possible so that authors may save their work locally on their hard-disks and then import it into the Foundry. Thus you would basically log into Tribble, export your mission, then log into Holodeck and import it.

Theoretically speaking, of course...

Realistically speaking though, Cryptic probably has design-concerns and perhaps business restrictions that do not allow for this concept to be designed and implemented, probably not now and perhaps not ever.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
11-29-2010, 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfPit View Post
Speaking on a theoretical level, if Cryptic truly wanted to do this, they could write their client/server code in such a way that exporting a mission to an external file-structure was possible so that authors may save their work locally on their hard-disks and then import it into the Foundry. Thus you would basically log into Tribble, export your mission, then log into Holodeck and import it.
Correct... However that does depend on your mission written with foundry v0.32 being compatible with foundry v0.33, and that is never guaranteed. (pre-beta structures etc tend to change, and forwards compatibility is rarely an issue for code still in alpha/beta)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfPit View Post
Realistically speaking though, Cryptic probably has design-concerns and perhaps business restrictions that do not allow for this concept to be designed and implemented, probably not now and perhaps not ever.
I know exactly what you mean, it will be interesting to see what they will allow. (allowing us to download an encrypted & signed version of our mission without the private key would solve the obvious problems, although MMO devs tend not to do that type of thing)
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
11-29-2010, 09:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splutter View Post
Correct... However that does depend on your mission written with foundry v0.32 being compatible with foundry v0.33, and that is never guaranteed. (pre-beta structures etc tend to change, and forwards compatibility is rarely an issue for code still in alpha/beta)
Indeed that is true, but a robust infrastructure would simply remove offending elements from the imported mission and point you to all the issues that need to be addressed as a result of the improper import. In some cases a mapping solution could even be devised to bridge between two versions of the same structure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splutter View Post
I know exactly what you mean, it will be interesting to see what they will allow. (allowing us to download an encrypted & signed version of our mission without the private key would solve the obvious problems, although MMO devs tend not to do that type of thing)
I think they'd be afraid of letting us do that because this would mean that mission-files eventually would be cracked and hacked and that they cannot ever allow. Specifically when you consider CBS looking over their shoulders...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
11-29-2010, 10:04 AM
Considering the changes Cryptic makes to the engine on Tribble (physics in particular) I'm not sure that anything can move from tribble to holodeck. It's probably difficult to make a game engine forward-compatible. Tribble, however, is backward compatible and this is why characters can be imported from Holo without a problem.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:04 AM.