Lt. Commander
I always thought it would be nice if STO has some kind of alignment system, like fantasy RPG`s.
Then while reading a post about how to improve ground combat, I thought, this is how you do it.

Here is Quote from post I read.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by Cybole
NPC enemies should have two untracked combat statistics, Fatigue and Morale. Fatigue would wrap together specific ground statistics that prevent stun, while at the same time, allow you take down an enemy without killing them--leading to more Federation-like gameplay.

Morale would be based on the existing squad structure. Loss of higher-ranking members in an enemy squad would lead to lower damage potential or enemy surrender--this then leads to other styles of Federation-like gameplay. As well, it can cause enemies to flee (hopefully not aggro'ing another squad, but your BOs do a great job at that anyway), or surrender, then use the opportunity to attempt to catch you off guard.

Either situation should not necessitate accepting surrender. If they're stunned, they might recover and continue fighting; or the player could order them executed; or the player might detain them on their starship's brig, taking POWs instead of killing them outright. But the option still remains in the player. Choosing to execute may not have a negative drawback, but I think that should be determined through difficulty level (harder difficulty might punish a player by removing Starfleet merits, for instance) and mission--there might be a take-no-prisoner scenario. If it does carry a reprimand, it should not be detrimental to normal gameplay.

As a side-note, Battle Weariness could be such a reflex for space combat, allowing you to wear down a ship until they surrender.

Both statistics are NPC optional, so that specific scenarios or races would not call for them. They would negatively affect PVP combat, so do not apply player characters or their bridge officers. These concepts may be rather long-term, or perhaps unworkable, but the suggestions might lend themselves to be reworked into more complete ideas.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This Idea Cybole had, creates Good, and Bad Deeds. Now just make a variable to measure that, and we can have Good Ofiicer, Bad Officer, Or Light and Dark Side.

Losing Star Fleet meriits should be 1 of the penalties from doing a bad action. But it should not just stop there.

If your officer does too many bad deeds, he may lose his ship,or rank, and grade, or even become kicked out of star fleet.

Where do these rebelious ex-officers go. They go to a new faction.
This new faction would consist of Bad ex-starfleet officers, Sort of like the Bounty Hunters of Star Wars. Smugglers, Assasins, Thieves.
A whole new sector and missions would have to be devoted to the Rebels. (smuggle, thieving, Assasin missions)
The missions in the Rebel sectors would require a new taste, where if you do a good deed and not kill an enemy but let him go, You then get punished, and lose Loyaty (anti-SFM), and becoming more of a good guy.
Then you can apply back into star fleet if you have enough Goodguy pts.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can even expand this idea, to make it really diplomatic. Where you can transfer to any faction (even Klignons) If you have the right Alignment for that faction, and if you have enough Diplomatic pts towards that race.

For example, you are a star fleet officer, and yet you respect and admire the Klingon way. You want to join there side. In order to do so, you need some bad pts, and some diplomacy pts towards the Klingons. So there can be a Secret Contact Klingon Empire, button that gets enabled if the right conditions are met.
When you contact the Klingons, you are given a list of missions, that give you diplomatic pts towards the Klignons.
When you have enough pts, you can switch your character, and it now loads in the klingon empire.
You may even get caught in this attempt and are kicked out of the Federation, and do not have enough Diplo pts to go to the Klingon side and you so, have to become a Rebel.

Lots of possibilities with these suggestions. A character may go from the Feds, to the Rebels, to the Klingons, and back to the Rebels, through his career. This information would go into the History of that character, automatically, so you know who you are dealing with.

Having an alignment system, will make your character more real, and give the players a harder choice when it comes to making decisions.
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-29-2010, 03:22 AM
I think realistically "rebels" would have to be added as a new faction. I doubt it would be easy to implement an alignment system and then make it compatible with all existing missions and actions you can do. Not to mention most missions have a set start and finish.
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-29-2010, 03:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DekuScrubby View Post
I think realistically "rebels" would have to be added as a new faction. I doubt it would be easy to implement an alignment system and then make it compatible with all existing missions and actions you can do. Not to mention most missions have a set start and finish.

That is what I meant, a New Faction, I do not know why I was thinking race. (long night)
Just fixed it.

As stated in my first post, A new Sector and missions would have to be devoted to the Rebels.
Also they should be given the ability to use any ship, from any faction.

I think A new Rebel faction would be better then the Romulans.

I do not think they could add these idea in right away, but could slowly work towards that direction.
Lt. Commander
# 4 Alignment System
11-29-2010, 05:42 AM
Flash back big time to the day when there was only Basic D&D and Advanced D&D. When the use red and blue books. Know which is is which? Dose not matter. Do not know of any MMO that has a alignment system. Faction support is more what they have. I do not think it would work in online format.
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-29-2010, 06:15 AM
Not Thanks, alingments are not neccassary and are a human construct anyways.
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-29-2010, 06:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeves
Flash back big time to the day when there was only Basic D&D and Advanced D&D. When the use red and blue books. Know which is is which? Dose not matter. Do not know of any MMO that has a alignment system. Faction support is more what they have. I do not think it would work in online format.
Red was Basic, Blue was expert level stuff, with expert you had for the first time wilderness rules, Yeah!
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-29-2010, 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
Not arguing either way about this topic. I just wanted to point out that EVERYTHING is a human construct which invalidates your rejection of this Idea. In fact, your comment makes no sense because of the obviousness I have pointed out.
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-29-2010, 11:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayenn
Not arguing either way about this topic. I just wanted to point out that EVERYTHING is a human construct which invalidates your rejection of this Idea. In fact, your comment makes no sense because of the obviousness I have pointed out.
Trees
Trees are not human constructs. Does man have to define the concept of trees to explain his relationship within reality as trees exist in a physical realm as oppossed to concepts of time, moral indicators, civilized behavior, emotional love, etc?
Possibly emotional love is not a constuct of man since such behavior can be documented in nature as well among some species. Niether is the enjoyment of physical love given that certain monkeys and dolphins do it just for the pleasure it seems.
Of course I was being half-snarky when I first posted on human constructs in this thread and didn't expect such a reply.
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-29-2010, 01:15 PM
Well if you guys think an alignment system of good and evil will not work, what about just having a sort of loyalty system between each faction. Diplomatic pts toward each faction. If a faction really hates you there might be more troops for you to encounter when you fight there faction, and if a faction really likes you, you can join them.

I still think a Rebel Faction of Bounty Hunters, would be a good addition to this game, and the ability to join them.

I guess you guys just like simple and straight. I played D&d when I was younger, I love complex games, the more complex the better for me. I though this idea would go well, but I guess not.
Lt. Commander
# 10
11-29-2010, 10:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
I'd much prefer reputations and character traits over a black-white alignment system.

Star Trek is all about the nuance.