Lt. Commander
# 11
12-02-2010, 01:50 PM
A beam boat running Beam FAW and orbiting the entity can usually get all the shards aggro'ed on themselves, and under control.

in the early stages, sending in an intrepid refit with ablative on will clear a boatload of the fragments.

Any time, and I do mean ANY TIME that a lerge fragment is destroyed, it will spawn three small shards, the small shards are what heal the entity.

If however someone has kited large fragments more than about 20km from the entity itself, and destroys them, the small shards will spawn, and instantly despawn.

if you co-ordinate it carefully, a fedball spamming GW on the entity can get it down to the 33% mark in less than a minute. (It's coordinating what happens after that that's a pain.)

I do think that with the nerf to the original CE Exploit, (Ramming Speed) the CE's self heal rate should be nerfed a bit.
Lt. Commander
# 12
12-02-2010, 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by timotheus.d View Post
(It's coordinating what happens after that that's a pain.)
I believe the failure of your understanding is that you are assuming that anyone is attempting to coordinate at all!

as long as you cannot run the encounter with the ability to kick the players who are intentionally trying to ruin progress of your group. then any arguing over weather it is possible to win or not is entirely mute! you all know as well as i do not every player on STO is as content to play well with others.
Lt. Commander
# 13
12-04-2010, 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devistator View Post
i agree with the " it should be impossible for a single person to screw it up" part but...

i do beleave fleet actions weren't intended for or aimed at pugs, they were aimed at "FLEETS" hence the name "fleet action"

the ones i personaly feel were aimed at pugs are the deep space encounters, as well as a way incorperate a small danger while traveling in sector space.
The "Fleet" in Fleet Action has nothing to do with STO Fleets in the slightest.
They are called Fleet Actions because you need a FLEET of ships.
They are indeed aimed at Pugs which is why people can come and go as they please at any time.

The very fact that Cryptic is working on adding special support just for Fleets should be a clue.
Lt. Commander
# 14 Question
12-06-2010, 06:44 AM
I have been away for a while and i am leveling a new toon now and i was wondering if spamming the Scramble Sensors skill still work to prevent the shards to target the player ships?

That's how i did it months ago as a sci/sci toon and i was wondering if that is still doable (boring but pug friendly)

Thanks in advance.
Lt. Commander
# 15
12-06-2010, 07:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by timotheus.d View Post
Any time, and I do mean ANY TIME that a lerge fragment is destroyed, it will spawn three small shards, the small shards are what heal the entity.
Not correct. Any time a Large Fragment impacts a targetable object (e.g.. High Yield Plasma Torp, Tricobalt Torp, Mines, Player Ships, Boarding Shuttles) THEN it will spawn three small shards. If destroyed by beams, cannons and non-targetable projectiles, then no small shards will spawn.

STOked has done a good walkthrough for the CE, as well as great strategies being posted by players on the forums as well as one on STOwiki.

I beat this once in a PuG back in April. It was intense and long. The biggest problem with CE is the griefers and the screamers. The griefers go in to do their own thing and screw everyone, the screamers spam the CHAT channel with strategies that are quite often wrong ("Don't shoot the fragments" ring a bell?) :p

The key is applying DPS to the CE to counteract its regen rate and do continuous damage while having some instance members keeping the skies clear on shard duty.

It's a difficult PuG fleet action, and stil difficult for fleets. I don't think its broken. I just think that players need to research it and listen to people who have beaten it successfully. From what I've seen, most CE griefers are too arrogant and set in their strategies to accept input from others. Nobody specifically, just a general feeling I get.
Lt. Commander
# 16
12-06-2010, 08:05 AM
Unfourtnetly that is not true anymore CanadianBandgeek, (As of about a month or two ago at least) If a large fragment is destroyied by ANY means, either by Targetable objects (Mines, Heavy Plasma/Tricolbolts, Ships, Boarding Parties), or non Targetable objects (Beams, Normal Torpedos, Gravity Well, Tykens Rift), it will ALWAYS spawn 3 small fragments now when its within range of the Crystaline Enntentiy. Basically leaving it to kite it far away from the C.E., so it despawns when it spawns, (but I wonder how long till that is changed and that won't work)
Lt. Commander
# 17
12-17-2010, 03:22 AM
I was on this mission last night and gave up after 3 hours.

We managed to get the CE down to 30% but people insisted on shooting the large fragments spawning the small ones that heal it. Also people just sat there shooting at it and not trying to avoid the Fragments at all this basically healed the CE back up to 80%.

I really don't get how people just fail to realise that you can simply outrun the fragments, I'll try again tonight because I do not like to give up on things but this has basically convinced me not to bother with fleet action events in future because the actions of one or two people who take part but do not play as a team ruin the experience of the game.

I dont see what is hard about:

1) Increase engine speed until you can outrun shards easily

2) Circle the Entity and continue to shoot it.

3) DO NOT SHOOT LARGE FRAGMENTS

Its an easy enough thing to follow and do, I hate to vent out my frustrations but I feel like if I do not then I'll simply go mad(er).