Lt. Commander
Well Id like to say i just bought the game and while downloading i would sorta like to get some info as to how the game is in General cause reviews kind of defer greatly from one another So i was hoping some response here.I would appreciate opinions and etc.
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-30-2010, 09:04 AM
As far as MMO goes, I'd call it average. It's not a great MMO, but it's a fun Star Trek game. If you're looking for a game with a lot of MMO tropes you probably won't be happy with it: PvP is very limited, the Klingon Faction is primarily PvP, the game is primarily solo over multi-player (you don't need to team, though it's fun if you do), Crafting isn't good yet, there's not much end-game, and so on. But the parts that make it Trek: the episodes, NPCs you interact with in the episodes, the ships, space combat, and so on have a nice Trek feel to them; and the Weekly episodes are generally quite good.

So in simplest terms, if you're looking for something to replace WoW or Eve with STO probably isn't it. If you're looking for something casual to scratch your Trek itch the STO is definitely what you're looking for.
Lt. Commander
# 3 Best and the worst
11-30-2010, 09:13 AM
The best part is the leveling. They have worked out most of the issues there. There still working on the end game in my opinion. It is also non canon. The worst is they take forever to fix issues. Lifetime turned out for me to be very good buy.
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-30-2010, 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GravTrioW
Well Id like to say i just bought the game and while downloading i would sorta like to get some info as to how the game is in General cause reviews kind of defer greatly from one another So i was hoping some response here.I would appreciate opinions and etc.
I think the best thing to say about Star Trek Online is that it's a great work in progress. If you come across something you don't like, there's a good bet that they're working on fixing it. Cryptic is really responsive to feedback.

Have you ever imagined your own Star Trek show, etc..? I feel like the game does a pretty good job letting you piece it together.
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-30-2010, 10:52 AM
The skills system is a bit of a hefty learning curve. If you need any help figuring out the skill tree and how skills relate to damage output etc, PM me, I'd be glad to help.
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-30-2010, 10:56 AM
Ah i see. Thanks for all the info .I just got my deluxe edition up and running and am playing the game. As far as i know I trust cryptic .I was very pleased with Champions and as long as this game is improving ,even if its average now,I wouldnt mind . Still,thanks
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-30-2010, 11:11 AM
Just a word of caution, if youre even a casual Star Trek fan, this game will make you want to watch the shows!

I've never seen DS9, and I find myself both watching that, and rewatching all the series a lot more.

It sucks you in!
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-30-2010, 07:53 PM
Haha oh dear...I'd be sucked in for sure :p
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-30-2010, 11:32 PM
It has eaten my soul. Even casual Star Trek Fans will enjoy the game, especially the space battles.
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-01-2010, 01:48 AM
Quote:
Just a word of caution, if youre even a casual Star Trek fan, this game will make you want to watch the shows!

I've never seen DS9, and I find myself both watching that, and rewatching all the series a lot more.

It sucks you in!
I have registered an increased interest in all things Startrek playing this game. Mostly it just lead to web browsing, but I am now actually contemplating acquiring the remastered TOS episodes and all that. Or the Ship of the Line Calender 2011...

I suppose a Startrek game is good for the entire franchise, and not just the guys making the game...