Lt. Commander
# 1 Goldfarmers of the Borg Hunt
11-27-2010, 11:03 AM
I have no idea why Cryptic turns a blind eye to these gold farmers in the Borg Hunt. They farm there all day, in which the Klingon Gold Farmer actually dual boxes and harasses other players to prevent them from winning. They sell all their winnings on the Exchange, in which we blindlessly buy and they take their credits and sell them on that website they constantly spam in ESD.

It's long past due that Cryptic takes care of these people.

Note: Goldfamers also like to join Fleets and use their Fleet Bank Accounts as extra bank space.
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-27-2010, 11:04 AM
Stupid Question: How exactly are people farming?
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-27-2010, 11:36 AM
Easy, keep getting First place, which always yield a blue item or a green if you come in second.

For VA-level players (which is the majority of the playerbase), such items can be sold for literally millions of credits. Mainly because it allows you to save time emblem grinding by equiping your characters faster, the old supply and demand.

They make a major profit by selling these items, and in turn they sell these credits on the internet at their website for real money. A greedy player gets his credits and these goldfarmers get real money, in which they can literally make a living just by playing STO.

Which in these hard economic times, really is kicking people below the belt.

Now if Cryptic or anyone else wants to ignore them, that's fine. But personally I don't like such people, especially when its at the expense of my own enjoyment value.
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-27-2010, 11:46 AM
Those guys ruining a lot of MMOs. Sadly there isn't much, Cryptic could do about it. You should get used to them... or just try to get their instance and camp them ^^
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-27-2010, 11:58 AM
I've never felt a need to purchase in-game currency. If I did, STO would be the last place I'd do it. ECs are too easy to come by.
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-27-2010, 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4triX
Those guys ruining a lot of MMOs. Sadly there isn't much, Cryptic could do about it. You should get used to them... or just try to get their instance and camp them ^^
I don't go to the extend of camping, but I do hunt them when I can. One thing for sure, is that they don't know how to PvP. Especially when they are dual or tri boxing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortarrKang
I've never felt a need to purchase in-game currency. If I did, STO would be the last place I'd do it. ECs are too easy to come by.
Indeed, every Admiral is an easy millionare. Those who started playing STO at Day 1 are easily in the double digits. But there are some who have the need for to get a head-start, even though its easy to outfit lower tiers of new characters without resorting to such measures.

But these farmers are causing inflation by saturating the market with drops that some good consoles can easily be bought with chump change, and people who get drops though normal means, can't make a profit in selling. So all the more reason for Cryptic to put their foot down.
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-28-2010, 11:56 AM
I may be coming up a bit short on the OP reason for the initial post, but if the point is to get stopped the Selling of EC's through the Email Spam process, then what in fact is the point??

Selling EC's is Ilegal, and in kind, Buying EC's in game from any Web source is also Ilegal.

If Players camp, or gain any items through any other means, then it does not make it legal for them to SELL the Credits they earn from the sale of those items to other players, nor does it make it legal for those other players to BUY said credits.

When I started my First TOON back in May, I got Two or Three Emails, Spam if you will, that offered me EC's for a CASH price. I simply reported the mails as SPAM, which they are, and have never received any of that sort since.

I, for one, beleive that Cryptic has done very well at making this type of abuse easy to manage and get rid of.
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-29-2010, 01:01 AM
I suppose it is difficult to actually prove someone is gold-farming. Just because you repeatedly play a certain mission and sell stuff on the exchange, you're not violating any rules. You need to link the gold-farmer accounts with offerings of ECs on the web, I suppose.
I honestly don't know if I've ever seen one of them. (If I just would get their names in some way, then I could look out for them when I am in Ker'Rat and blow some up.. *whistles innocently*)
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-29-2010, 01:03 AM
I agree these "Farmers/Spammers" are annoying. It has been an issue even back in the open Beta. I am just thankful for a very large ignore list that Cryptic was nice enough to provide me. Clears the comm channels quite a bit.

In the past I have seen GM's in game hunting these Spammers. So it is not that they are not aware off the problem or even complacent when it comes to them. There is just so many of them it is difficult to track them. The major root of the problem is the player base who buys from them. If no one bought from them they wouldn't make any money and we could all just laugh at their ignorance. In a perfect MMO world that is.

Now if there was a way to track the buyers and ban their accounts...well then...Cut the food source and any farmer would move to more fertile tilling ground.

Just my 2 EC's
Lt. Commander
# 10
11-29-2010, 01:35 AM
Meow, I used to farm items to not have to grind for emblems all the time, however now I'm fully equipped and I stopped doing that. I would never sell my EC's on such a website nor would I buy EC's because they're too easy to get in-game. Heck, I even get almeowst a million for doing all my dailies, sumtimes I get blue MK XI drops on Advanced, and those sell for good EC munny as well, specially if they are cunsoles like "Phaser Relay" or "Halon System" or "Biofunction Monitor". Now when I go to Ker'rat for example, I do it for accumplishing my daily 3 emblems, not more, not less. With all the emblems I am grinding now, I will buy the two retrofit variants to not have to spend CP's on them.

~ Meow