Lt. Commander
# 11
12-01-2010, 05:37 AM
Reproduction tips:

First the boy and girl have to love each other ver... Oh wait...
  • This is only for ATI 5xxx series cards and above. 56xx series cards may be immune to this, but it's worth testing anyway.
  • Crank up everything to full. Your card's got enough horsepower to do it. Go on. Treat yourself.
  • Most importantly; enable Dynamic Lighting, and set the Number of Lights to 5. (Yes, Jean Luc, there ARE five lights!)
  • Now visit Starbase 24, specifically the ground mission.
  • The CtD should occur within the first few ground fights.

Now for some links:
Happy hunting, everyone!
Lt. Commander
# 12
12-01-2010, 05:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Computer.Ed
They have requested that we post in-game crash report (the "Error Tracker ID" showed when the client crashes) for them to examine.
Ah - I should point that, for me, the game did not crash, instead the PC froze (accompanied by looping sound - an proper olde-worlde crash).

- the first time the PC seemed 'unrecoverable' (pressing the power button on the pc itself was the only obvious solution).
- the second crash I was able to access the win7 process manager screen and terminate the STO process.

Due to the severity of the crash, I'm not particularly eager to reproduce it - but I may give it a go to see if anything useful comes out...

Edit: reading below, I just realised that I've made a mistake. I leave dynamic lighting ON with 2 lights and there are no problems (never crashed for me with that setting), but if I turn it up to 5 lights then it will crash sooner or later.
Lt. Commander
# 13
12-01-2010, 06:16 AM
4890 Radeon HD, no problems with Dynamic Lighting with latest drivers. Win7 64-bit.
Lt. Commander
# 14
12-01-2010, 03:27 PM
Okay running as described above with all settings at max and on SB 24 and I got within 4 minutes of playing the Starbase segment a crash that said the client stopped working. I cannot find an error log on this. Can someone from Cryptic tell us how to gather this information for them in a manner they want?

System is a Phenom II X6 1055T, 4 Gig DDR using a 6850 basec video card under Windows 7 x64bit with Catalyst 10.10 drivers.
Lt. Commander
# 15
12-01-2010, 04:07 PM
Quote:
Can someone from Cryptic tell us how to gather this information for them in a manner they want?
The last link in my post above points to a number of resources for getting the right information to Cryptic. I haven't quite got my head around it myself, as it seems designed to force graphic drivers to blue screen when there's a problem, producing useful debug data.

Let's hope we get a better response than 'ATI FAIL LOL'.
Lt. Commander
# 16
12-01-2010, 04:13 PM
Came back from dinner and fired up Starbase 24 again and have crshed 3 times in under 15 minutes. This is EASY to reproduce it seems.

Heathenstorm you are right, that was BAD form for a Cryptic employee to post.
Lt. Commander
# 17
12-02-2010, 05:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeidan
4890 Radeon HD, no problems with Dynamic Lighting with latest drivers. Win7 64-bit.
I had that same card and up to a few months ago it would crash.
Testing the newest drivers as soon as I get home from work with my new 5870 on Win7 x64, your statement makes me hopeful!

/e:
Then again, reading the rest..
Lt. Commander
# 18
12-02-2010, 11:45 AM
I am hoping we can getsome from Cryptic in here soon to tell us what data they want us to get specifically. To be honest however I am wondering what the big deal is. This issue seems easy to reproduce. We have specific steps that seem to fix it every time. Would seem to me that this is more than enough to be tracking this already.
Lt. Commander
# 19
12-02-2010, 12:17 PM
Quote:
I am hoping we can getsome from Cryptic in here soon to tell us what data they want us to get specifically. To be honest however I am wondering what the big deal is. This issue seems easy to reproduce. We have specific steps that seem to fix it every time. Would seem to me that this is more than enough to be tracking this already.
Problem is that Cryptic think the bug is in ATI's driver code. And ATI think the bug is in Cryptic's code.
Lt. Commander
# 20
12-02-2010, 04:21 PM
I have a 5770 and I have DL on all the time, though I only use 2 lights. I don't have the processor horsepower to crank up the card all the way and still have a playable game (Core 2 Duo).
Closed Thread