Lt. Commander
# 1 Cryptic Launcher Autoupdate Error
12-01-2010, 01:11 AM
When I activate the STO launcher a dialog box opens stating it is trying to connect to update the launcher. Shortly thereafter, I get an error message saying "A file was locked that could not be open for writing". As such I am unable to launch the game.

My System Specs:
Windows XP SP3
Intel Core i3 2.93 GhZ
2 GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4350 512 MB

I have all administrative privileges enabled, and the launcher is not marked as a read only file. My internet security program also allows all connections for the game launcher and client.

Anybody have any idea what's wrong?
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-01-2010, 09:02 AM
If you are using a wireless connection, disable the wireless connection and connect to your router or modem directly with a network cable and confirm that you have internet with the wired connection. Make sure to close all other programs including programs that run in the system tray (the little icons next to your clock). If you have a software firewall please make sure it is allowing all network traffic (by not blocking any outgoing ports) and shut it down and make sure it is no longer running.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-01-2010, 12:04 PM
Having the same problem. Tried InfoNinja's suggestion and it does not work. Tried re-booting, doesn't fix it.

It was working fine last night and I can't see how it could get messed up between now and then. Considering I've been playing since beta and I've never had this problem before.

I'd like a fix that doesn't involve re-installing the whole game for no good reason. And yes, I'm running everything as admin by default.

Specs for what good it will do.

Vista Basic 32-bit SP2
Intel Pentium E5300 2.60GHz
4GB dual channel DDR2
512MB GeForce 9500GT

--UPDATE--

Looked in E:\Cryptic Studios\errors.log and it seems that E:\Cryptic Studios\Star Trek Online.exe has locked itself down for some reason and can't be overwritten. So why has the file decided to lock itself out?

--POSSIBLE FIX--

So I booted up into Safe Mode:With Networking, went to E:\Cryptic Studios\ and checked Star Trek Online.exe wasn't locked out by renaming it, it wasn't, so I named it back and ran it and the launcher update went through without a hitch. Rebooted back into Windows normal, ran the launcher again, no problems, logged into game and working fine so far as I can tell.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-01-2010, 03:01 PM
Same problem here.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-01-2010, 06:58 PM
I have played STO in a few months, so after activating my account again and updating it hangs after I launch the game. I have tried several things and no luck. Even did a reinstall and update and still the same thing. Any ideas what could solve this?
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-01-2010, 08:23 PM
Booted up with safe mode with networking on and the launcher opened fine. When I booted back to normal mode the launcher did its update with no problems. So shapeless' workaround seems to fix this, but I do wonder why the launcher would randomly lock itself up like that.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-02-2010, 04:43 PM
Are any of you running Anti-Virus? If so, have you tried temporarily disabling it?
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-04-2010, 10:02 AM
I'm not really computer savy, how do I boot up in safe mode?
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-04-2010, 12:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MohawkJones
I'm not really computer savy, how do I boot up in safe mode?
As the PC is starting up; and before the WinXP loading splash screen press your F8 key (may want to do it multiple times so the PC catches it before it starts a normal load of WinXP); and you'll see a DOS screen with options.

Select "Safe Mode With Networking" and you'll see a lot of stuf scrill by (it's telling you specifically what it's loading as it loads it.)

be aware that it will load at 640X480 resolution; and a lot of functionality you may be used to will be disables or unavailable. "Safe Mode" loads a minimum amount of stuff so that techs can do more in depth troubleshooting pf problems - or get to Hard Drive data to copy it off befpre attempting a reformat/reinstall, etc.

When you're ready to shutdown, shutdown as you would normally.
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-05-2010, 06:42 AM
This is absolutely ridiculous! We bought the game damn it! We waited for it to solve itself and it didn't! I don't know about you gentlemen, but I'm going straight to corporate with this! I should not have to wait for them to fix this, while i'm still paying for my subscription for this month!
Closed Thread