Lt. Commander
# 11
12-01-2010, 08:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranman1988 View Post
I think it had to do with the sheer numbers of people who'd log on and use the Foundry that would crash it. Though I'm not 100% on that.
I'm pretty sure thats not it. First, I dont think there are that many people in the closed beta. Second, I'm pretty sure the Devs have said there is some problem with the system itself(while what you describe is more of a server issue). That said, I'm still a little curious how a the system can be so badly broken this far into the testing. Hopefully the Devs will clarify.
Lt. Commander
# 12
12-01-2010, 08:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
I'm pretty sure thats not it. First, I dont think there are that many people in the closed beta. Second, I'm pretty sure the Devs have said there is some problem with the system itself(while what you describe is more of a server issue). That said, I'm still a little curious how a the system can be so badly broken this far into the testing. Hopefully the Devs will clarify.
Whatever the answer may be I'm glad this is being taken care of rather than just pushed to tribble.
Lt. Commander
# 13
12-01-2010, 08:58 AM
Quote:
I'm a little confused here: the Foundry has supposedly been in closed beta testing for a couple of months now(first just "friends and family", and more recently actual players were invited). How can it be SO unstable that its crashing the server at this point?
Because a closed beta environment doesn't replicate the way a live environment works. A lot of the time, a closed beta test server for a game running live is usually a clean version of the software. It doesn't contain the memory corruptions, bugged characters, bugged items etc that can plague the live version. Let alone the possibility of data corruption during the patching process itself.
Lt. Commander
# 14
12-01-2010, 09:00 AM
Quote:
It wasn't the number of people in closed beta that would be the problem. It was the transitioning from closed to open and thus the number of people in the open beta. I think I read somewhere that the server wouldn't be able to handle that kind of stress or there was a bug that would cause the server to crash. But since I'm not privy to the situation, this is mostly mere speculation and conjecture.
Lt. Commander
# 15
12-01-2010, 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
After moving the latest Foundry update from our Closed Beta shard to the Tribble Test shard, we ran into some crashes on Tribble that will need debugging time and a fix before we can proceed.

This means that we will not be turning on the Foundry on Tribble this week.

We have still updated Tribble with Seaons 3 fixes and ask that people still continue to test on that shard so that we can find any additional issues that are lurking in the Season 3 release.

I know that many of you are anxious to get your hands on the Foundry, and we do have people working pretty much non-stop trying to get the feature ready for Open Beta.

As I've stated in the Engineering Reports - we will not be moving to Open Beta on the Foundry until we feel it is ready for stress testing and can handle the amount of traffic that will be hitting it.

We will also not turn on the Foundry on Holodeck until we are satisfied with how the feature is performing on Tribble.

Thank you for your patience, the team is encouraged by your support and understanding.
That was from a 11/24, but it shows that there is a compatibility issue between Redshirt and Tribble. There's probably some underlying code that interferes with Foundry being able to run, and once they figure it out on Tribble it shouldn't be long before they get the user data from open beta and shove it onto Holodeck
Lt. Commander
# 16
12-01-2010, 09:17 AM
Quote:
I'm pretty sure thats not it. First, I dont think there are that many people in the closed beta. Second
Maybe they have a way to fake connections?

Anyways yesterday Dstahl said they had QA testing a build, but he never said what came out of the testing.
Lt. Commander
# 17
12-01-2010, 12:00 PM
Quote:
I'm a little confused here: the Foundry has supposedly been in closed beta testing for a couple of months now(first just "friends and family", and more recently actual players were invited). How can it be SO unstable that its crashing the server at this point?
I can see it. Baseless wild-tuchis-speculation here on my part, but a database system can only handle so many read/write requests at a given time. The thing probably worked just fine with maybe fifteen, twenty people hitting up the Foundry's database. Put it into closed beta, with.. however many people there are on Redshirt wailing on it, assume maybe an order of magnitude more users, the database can easily choke and scream bloody murder. And, of course, there's always that one little annoying bug that you can't find, like if half a dozen people try to jump into the same mission at the same time it crashes the server so hard the database becomes corrupt. Or there just might be creeping database corruption when two dozen people do X. I gather that the tools are already working pretty well, which leads me to believe it's a database/backend thing.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go shovel chicken poo out of the cistern. (Bonus no-points for getting the reference. ^_^ )
Lt. Commander
# 18
12-01-2010, 12:30 PM
The team is working as fast as they can to get The Foundry (Beta) for Star Trek Online into an open beta state. I know it's disappointing to keep being asked to be patient for your chance to take a crack at making your own Star Trek Online Episode, but please understand there's a lot going on here.

This feature includes some awesome new tech, and it needs to be tested thoroughly to make sure it provides a good user experience for you. We've ran across some wrinkles on the back end which need ironing before we can show you the awesomeness that is The Foundry (Beta) for Star Trek Online. We want you all to have a great experience when making your episodes, and we believe it's worth the wait to be able to provide that.

I'm fairly certain once this goes to Tribble, you'll agree.

Thanks,

Stormshade
Lt. Commander
# 19
12-01-2010, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the update stormshade, I can wait till it is ready.
Lt. Commander
# 20
12-01-2010, 12:36 PM
We ve waited so long for UGC, we can wait some more days cant we