Lt. Commander
# 1 Questions of KDF
12-01-2010, 09:50 AM
I have a LC7 Federation Science guy and I was wanting to fly with a Klingon for a bit, as a back up to flying with my federation guy.

Some questions though. As I like to list, here they are.

1. I cannot seem to find a sciencey KDF ship. Is there one, or do I need to go to carrier to use one?
2. The ship types are different. Can you recommend one that coincides with science?
3. I can fly around as a Gorn or Klingon or whatever, does it matter the race I choose, or is everyone going to be treated like dirt equally?
4. Speaking of races, which is a decent one to use if I wanted to focus on science?
5. Are there a lot of KDF players or am I looking at empty space?
6. Can KDF and Federation do CO-OP or is it always an enemies thing?

Thanks.
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-01-2010, 10:15 AM
Welcome to the KDF.
It is primarily PvP rather than PvE on this side though. There aren't that many story line missions yet for the Klinks compared to the FED side.

I have played a TAC to LG and I have started to try a sci guy out. So this is just my limited knowlage.

1. Klingons don't get a dedicated sci ship untill the top tier, But the BOP is suppoesd to be a good choice with the universal bridge slots.
2. See above
3. Not really the hate will be in equal measure.
4. I went for joined Trill for the space stats (I will be pvping space side) but you should ask others for their opinons.
5. It can be kind of tough for population untill you get to BG/MG/LG then there will be more people around.
6. I haven't seen CO OP with FED's except in the BORG sector fleet actions. But hey they are better as targets rather than friends IMHO.

And be sure to ckeck out the Klingon section of the forums and/or the PvP setction of the forums for people who have been doing this alot longer that I have.
And maybe the Sci section as I recall a thread there with someone asking for advice as a Kingon Sci.

Good Luck
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-01-2010, 10:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander_Hawke View Post
I have a LC7 Federation Science guy and I was wanting to fly with a Klingon for a bit, as a back up to flying with my federation guy.

1. I cannot seem to find a sciencey KDF ship. Is there one, or do I need to go to carrier to use one?
2. The ship types are different. Can you recommend one that coincides with science?
3. I can fly around as a Gorn or Klingon or whatever, does it matter the race I choose, or is everyone going to be treated like dirt equally?
4. Speaking of races, which is a decent one to use if I wanted to focus on science?

Thanks.
1) There isn't a KDF Sci ship until you get to the Carrier at BG1 or the new Varanus Fleet Support Vessel at LG1. The Carrier has a +5 bonus to each Weapon and Aux Power Systems and the Sci innate Subsystem Taretting. The Varanus has +10 to Aux Power and the Targetting. BoP have universal BO slots, so you can have them focus on Sci powers, but they don't have the bonus to Aux Power (they have a Weapon Power bonus) or the Subsystem Targetting.

2) See above. My Sci KDF is still in a BoP. He's only an LC. I may try him in a Carrier or Varanus, but I think I'll keep him in a BoP. I really love the BoP. It's such a great little ship (and my KDF Eng is getting plenty of use out of his Carrier).

3) The KDF has 8 Races IIRC: Alien, Gorn, Joined Trill, Klingon, Lethean, Liberated Borg, Nausicaan, and Orion. Joined Trill and Lib Borg are special unlocks (if you've got them unlocked on the Fed side, you'll have them available on the KDF side too). Gorn, Letheans, and Nausicaans are only playable as Male. Just like on the Fed side, each has it's own Racial Trait requirements and availablities (http://www.stowiki.org/Trait_chart). Nausicaans have some cool armor choices in the clothing section, and Orions (especially the females) have some uh, shall we say, unique (!) racial costumes. Other than these differences, they are all treated as dirt equally.

4) Which is better for Science? I didn't think any one in particular, so I made an Alien for my Sci KDF. Frankly, I thought all the KDF races would work best as Tac Offs, except maybe Lib Borg (Eng), but that's just my opinion.

5) There aren't as many as Feds, obviously, but I don't see empty space. I rarely have problem putting together a PuG for PvP, for example. I think there are more and more as the Faction Agnostic Weekly Episodes and new KDF Missions coming in S3 are drawing people in. That's what brought me over to the Dark Side.

6) There is no cross-faction co-operation at this time. There has been talk of it, but none yet. The only exception is that you can play Dabo along side Feds at Drozana. lol

Edit/Correction: I forgot, you do get to fight along side Feds in the Gamma Orionis DSEs against the Borg. While you can't actually Team-Up with them, you can both shoot at the same Borg and share Heals, if you're so inclined. You also can not shoot at each other in these zones.

Hope that helps! If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Also, you'll want to check out these forums:
http://forums.startrekonline.com/forumdisplay.php?f=160
http://forums.startrekonline.com/forumdisplay.php?f=166
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-01-2010, 10:20 AM
1&2] The BoP is the best science ship in the game...you get to choose how many science BOs you use, and which ranks.

3&4] Pick an Alien, which you can make look like a Klingon, but still choose which traits you want.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-01-2010, 12:28 PM
Wow, I appreciate the positive comments!

So to get to the max level you have to PvP your way to the top? Or missions are available?

The science vessels Fed side has a special ability of disabling systems. Does the BoP or other ships do the same or have their own uniqueness?

I looked at the KDF ships and they are all klingon in origin. Are there any Gorn, Romulan, Orion, etc ships available?

I thank you for the help, and advice so far.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-01-2010, 12:33 PM
Quote:

BoP until top level and then either the gorn ship or the carriers.

Quote:
again will have to be bop to use the abilities, but i will say battle cruisers go brilliantly with science as well. you just cant use the top science bo powers.

Quote:
does not matter what you pick.

Quote:
again dont matter.

Quote:
there are a few and the evening can even get fairly busy.

Quote:

only in gamma orionis deep space encounters and the undine fleet action

hope this helps a little.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-01-2010, 01:03 PM
Quote:

So to get to the max level you have to PvP your way to the top? Or missions are available?

The science vessels Fed side has a special ability of disabling systems. Does the BoP or other ships do the same or have their own uniqueness?

I looked at the KDF ships and they are all klingon in origin. Are there any Gorn, Romulan, Orion, etc ships available?

http://www.spidermitch.com/STO/KDF/S...FShipChart.jpg

Spidermatch has done an awesome job on ship tier charts, has one for feds as well!

Take a look at this and decide!

only ships that have targeting subsystems are the carrier(Vo'quv) and the gorn sci(Vaarnus fleet support vessel)
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-01-2010, 03:25 PM
Quote:

No you dont have to PVP at all. The Klingon side lacks the number of unique missions that the feds have. But they have several grind type repeatable missions. That can be done for leveling. That can quickly get monotonous. So folks often PVP to break that up. And PVP missions seem to be a faster way to level overall. Its why folks consider Klingons a PVP faction.

That said, the few klingon unique missions available are considered some of the best in the game. No where else can you descend into the very depths of Klingon hell and battle the living embodiments of dishonor and corruption.

There currently is a singular Gorn and Orion vessel, available at the top ranks. There are plans for a single Nausicaan vessel to be added shortly as well.
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-01-2010, 05:45 PM
Added to that, you also have access to the neutral daily quests in Eta Eridani and the Deferi Sector as well as the Weekly Episodes. If you really want to stay away from PvP (I recommend to at least try it for a while and learn from your fellow Klingons), I would recommend doing those missions as well as the "Exploration grind" that was already mentioned.

Oh, by the way, Season 3 will open up Pi Canis for the Klingons, complete with a whole new set of repeatable missions such as convoy raids and base assaults. They're quite fun (already available on the test server).
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-02-2010, 07:06 AM
I created a KDF officer last night. I might delete him. Still not sure. Looks funny as a Trill among klingons. I might just do Liberated Borg. So the race still has my panties in a bunch about what to choose.

Something else that has me.. perplexed. I did all the missions inside the great hall, and once out ,I am in the K7 PvP area. And I have no clue where to go with only like 3 missions. Granted I am like level 6 or 7 but still, that is only a few missions, and I am not even sure where they are at. I didnt really read too deep into it, as it was about an hour after my bedtime lol.

Ships have almost no customization properties either. Wish there was a bit more.