Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1 Avian Species
12-02-2010, 12:18 AM
I know it has kinda been talked about off and on, but I wanted to make a definitive topic for adding an Avian species to STO. Avian species is something very different, and very cool that could be added to the game, and there a several canonical references to avian species in the Star Trek Universe, granted, some are in the Animated series...

Such as:

Xindi Avians

The Skorr

Aurelian

Horrable terrifying bird human monstrosity...

So I think it would give players something new, and exciting. Special ability.... Yah, you guessed it... flying... You could jump, then the jump button would turn into a flap wings button or something.

But, if it was added, I would want bridge officers of them, for both the Federation, AND KDF.

Oh, and one last thing. If they were added, and if the KDF had access to them, you need the option to remove the wings at least for the KDF. Now, I know I know, why make a bird species without wings, but I get the idea from the novel The Final Reflection. I know it's not canon, but it's just an example, so bare with me. There was a servitor, a slave more or less. name Tirian. He was apparently an avian species, but he had no wings. Why? Because during his 'service' in the KDF the captain of the vessel had Tirians lush beautiful wings torn from their very sockets. Why? Because the narrow corridors, the closed in bridge, the tight walkways of 22nd century designed star ships were no place for massive fluffy wings! They were in the way! A federation captain would be more understanding, plus their ships are more... roomy... But a KDF ship, now they may see it another way. So from that, if I get my bird man Bridge officer, I want him WITHOUT the wings.


Anyway, wings or no wings, I would like Avains in the game. What do you think?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
12-02-2010, 12:56 AM
Avian races are cool, so are (but harder to do) aquatic.

More "alien" than just slider controls on a humanoid form would be nice. Tholians......

Some will say flight just makes it more superheroes than Star Trek, so what?. BUT and I mean BUT, flying adds a whole new can of balance to combat. Air superiority and all that.

As to the story you referenced, I see the KDF being more like the pet owners that clip the wings of their pets.

My biggest problem though is...............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martok42 View Post
This is just asking for a Captain Proton meets avian Killer shrews kinda episode. Granted Shrews aren't avian, but I can see the pic you posted working like this did in the movie.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
12-02-2010, 12:56 AM
I am in support of an Avian species in the game, but not for awhile. IMO, there are plenty of canon races to consider before throwing more obscure TAS races into the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martok42 View Post
Oh, and one last thing. If they were added, and if the KDF had access to them, you need the option to remove the wings at least for the KDF. Now, I know I know, why make a bird species without wings, but I get the idea from the novel The Final Reflection. I know it's not canon, but it's just an example, so bare with me. There was a servitor, a slave more or less. name Tirian. He was apparently an avian species, but he had no wings. Why? Because during his 'service' in the KDF the captain of the vessel had Tirians lush beautiful wings torn from their very sockets. Why? Because the narrow corridors, the closed in bridge, the tight walkways of 22nd century designed star ships were no place for massive fluffy wings! They were in the way! A federation captain would be more understanding, plus their ships are more... roomy... But a KDF ship, now they may see it another way. So from that, if I get my bird man Bridge officer, I want him WITHOUT the wings.
No. While I'm not exactly pleased that this game allows you to play as a slave, the idea that the game would promote torturing, mutilating or crippling slaves for the sole purpose of some warped pleasure would be far too outrageous.

Other than that, the idea of an avian species without wings seems pointless and a waste of time. What will be special about them? They gonna run up and peck at enemies? :p
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
12-02-2010, 01:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valxocia
Other than that, the idea of an avian species without wings seems pointless and a waste of time. What will be special about them? They gonna run up and peck at enemies? :p
They can deface a statue at 30 yards?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
12-02-2010, 01:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valxocia
I am in support of an Avian species in the game, but not for awhile. IMO, there are plenty of canon races to consider before throwing more obscure TAS races into the game.



No. While I'm not exactly pleased that this game allows you to play as a slave, the idea that the game would promote torturing, mutilating or crippling slaves for the sole purpose of some warped pleasure would be far too outrageous.

Other than that, the idea of an avian species without wings seems pointless and a waste of time. What will be special about them? They gonna run up and peck at enemies? :p
Yes there are plenty of other species, but not much cooler ones...


And it's Klingons, and it's not warped pleasure, it's getting rid of an inconvenience. Stuff like that is in Star Trek. It's in the show, it's in the Books, obviously, and it;s not like you'd see them rip his wings off. You would just see the lack of wings. ANd it's not Crippling, just making them more humanoid... ANd besides, Klingons ritually cut and hurt themselves all the time, that is 'promoted' in game as is by the inclusion of Klignons,

And that isn't the point. If I want to take my BOffs or captains ability away, so be it. It wouldn't be helpful in combat to start with, so it's not a beg deal if it's gone. And it's a choice, it's not taking anything away. As a captain of a ship, I may not care if my crewmen have giant fluffy wings, (I would, but I am just saying) where as another may care. So it would be a choice...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
12-02-2010, 01:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martok42 View Post

The Skorr

Aurelian

Anyway, wings or no wings, I would like Avains in the game. What do you think?
/Signed

I love those two to be in the game
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
12-02-2010, 02:45 AM
The only one of these I'd be really gungho about seeing are the Xindi Avians, as I think they're probably the most canon. Now canonically, they're also very extinct, but if we were to have a Featured Episode about a lost Xindi Avian colony being rediscovered, or even one more time travel plot to the pre-ENT timeline where we rescue some Avians before they perish, that would be pretty cool.

However, if you were to do Avians, I'd like to see them do the Xindi properly and produce all the races and add them to the character select screen, perhaps under one "Xindi" race. And I could totally see some Xindi as enlisting with the Klingons, if we wanted.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
12-02-2010, 03:06 AM
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
12-02-2010, 04:37 AM
I really hope they find some way to bring back the Avian Xindi. You hear that Cryptic? Make it so!
Aquatic species (like the Dolphins in the Enterprise D) would also be great. I don't know about them being able to leave the ship with you though, unless Starfleet came up with something that allows them to "swim" in air (maybe using Fluidic Space data?) or something while keeping them from drying up at the same time.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
12-02-2010, 04:44 AM
I'd like to see Grazerites. There was a Federation president from this species. They were covered up for budget reasons but I get the impression they were full on goat/cow people with hooves and horns.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:38 PM.